help can't get valve cover off

I need to adjust my vavles really bad and was thinking about doing it this weekend. now here is my problem I can’t get my valve cover off because the nut on the side right next to the distibutor will not come off, it just sits there and turns. how can I get it off? HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP!!! :argh:

come on somebody need to get it off!!! Its probably stripped but I got a spare stud for it but first need to get it off. HOW?

Can you cut it off with something?

I don’t think I can. the plastic that holds all for plug wires is right there and in the way

You should be able to move that out of the way. :gotpics:

Pics would definitely help. Sounds like the nut or stud is stripped. I know I might catch some crap for this :flame: but if all else fails, you can just snap (by prying) or knock (with a hammer) off the nut/stud in question and just replace it (less than $10). That’s if you can’t get it off more ‘professionally’ of course.

I already have a stud to replace it, so if I have to break it I will, I will get some pics up shortly

heres a couple pics. its the chrome looking acorn nut in the middle of both pictures. hope this can help you guys help me out.

Drill it.

i still cant figure where that is… hmmz…

get a dremel, and cut it. I believe you can purchase new stud and nut from dealers.

It is on the passenger side of the vavle cover right in front of the distributor. I got the plastic sparkplug wire holder thing off it just popped out. but the nut and metal bracket is still there I am going to try the dremel.

I don’t got any cutoff discs for the dremel I tryed prying/hitting with hammer to break it but I cracked the valve cover (good thing I have a spare cover)

Had the same problem a long while back. Dremel does wonders… Just go out and buy some discs - waay easy with the Dremel. Those darn cap-nuts don’t take more than 7ft-lbs. :frowning:

ive got the same problem! except mine is where the original ground wire connected! just spins for days! ive got a new stud waiting, just no need to really replace it yet!

if the stud is just spinning though- and not just the cap screw:

-would a new stud simply just “screw” in?

• i have nightmares about getting it out and realizing that the new one doesnt really work/fit due to screwed up threads.
    -maybe jbweld the new one into place??? kinda ghetto; but do they make “oversized” studs?

anybody care to shed some light?

Wafer where did you cut the stud at because there isn’t very much room to cut under it.

Hey I got it off was standing there looking at it at them I grabbed the pry bar one of the ones with a handle on the end and I put it under the valve cover and put all my weight into and it just popped the nut off. I was very suprised when I looked down at it the stud was still there in one piece(well minus the fact that it had no threads on it at all). Thanks For all of the help guys. Now I get to adjust my valves hope its as easy as it sounds.

Yep, just unscrew old and screw in the new.

You’ll need a really deep socket to clear the post and get to the base. I think it was a 10mm, but could be wrong.

Just curious how do you take the to middle studs out the tall ones. my deep sockets ain’t near deep enough to get it off.

Yes it’s a 10mm for those nuts. Just remember that when you put the new one back in that you don’t go over 7 lbs, they strip way too easily.