What kind of gas milage do you get?

try this -
fill up all the way. reset your little mileage counter on the cluster, run the car until it hits the 1/2 tank mark exactly. then fill up from there and run it to the 1/2 mark again. look at your miles. however much it takes to fill it up from the 1/2 mark X2 should give you a pretty accurate number of gallons as well as a more accurate number of miles traveled on one tank.

did that make any sense? lol i confuse myself :stuck_out_tongue:

If you just messed with the cable, then what I was saying prob doesnā€™t apply to you. Adjusting the cable just opens the throttle body plate more. Properly adjusting the idle is by turning the idler screw on the corner of the TB by the intake. You have to follow a procedure of warming the car up, then disengaging sensors (several methods), adjusting screw, turning off car, re-engaging sensors, starting car, resetting computer. If you are a dummy like me, you may have just turned the idler screw. Even though no one has ever replied to my question of what it physically does, it WILL decrease fuel economy on your car if all you do is turn the screw (counter clock-wise in my case).

Again, this is probably not most peopleā€™s problems, but if youā€™ve tried everything else, it is possible someone in the past improperly adjuted your idler screw and messed up you mpg, so turning it back and resetting the computer is the solution.

Any questions about the idler screw probably shouldnā€™t be addressed here, but if you :search: you will find info on how to do it right.

on mobile gas i get 290-300

on chevron gas i get about 270-275

If you canā€™t fill past 10.6 gals, seems like you just need to drive some more before filling up :wink: After the low fuel light comes on, Iā€™ll usually drive about 50 more miles before getting gas (figuring roughly 2 gallons in reserve and conservative 25 mpg to be safe). I usually end up putting about 12.5-13 gals when I finally fill.

The easiest way to test mpg for those that donā€™t know any other way, is to top off the tank, reset the trip-ometer, drive until you used a bunch of fuel (at least half a tank - the longer you wait, the more accurate the reading), top off the tank again. Take the milage on the trip-ometer and divide by gals added at pump. There you go :up:

thats what i meant to say up there ^^ damn i suck :whip: i thought something was wrongā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah, the gas gauge isnā€™t very accurate, so going by half a tank is very shady. Keeping track over a period of time gives you an even better idea - I have been recording date, miles, gallons, and brand for each fillup for over a year. The highest I ever saw on a tank was 37, but I figure that was probably due to a messed up pump, not that I actually got that. I ususally refill my tank with between 10 and 11 gallons gone, donā€™t want to run too low, bad for pump. Plus, in spirited driving, you can starve it. Ask Jeff (92accuraattack)

I know this will not work, becaust it takes me 8 bucks to hill up halfway from the E with the gas light on, and It takes me $22 to fill up completely.

Yeah. I want to drive it more but it just gets scary when you start going past that red line on the gas meter. I dunno. With the meter that low it only takes me like $19.77 before it flows over. And thats only at like 10.5 gals. Iā€™m just going to drive it longer and then when it starts struggling to crank, i know iā€™ve driven to far. Hehe.

I get 25 mpg or about 250 miles to the tank. I have all new everything: o2 sensor, plugs, wires, dizzy, pcv, fuel, correct timing, keep the oil changed every 2000 miles, new tires, new suspension aligned CORRECTLY ;), and I run Lucas fuel treatment every other oil change. What else can I do to get better gas milage other than driving like a grannie? :shrug:

yea look like 2 posts up from yours. i realized i was talkin out my ass :stuck_out_tongue: hehe my step dad told me the right way (like 2067739 said) and i though it was the way i originally said it. i should pay attention to that man more often :slight_smile:

Bump, anybody else

Valve job does wonders :up:

Also, I didnā€™t see distributor rotor and cap (maybe you just left it off the list?)

I get around 25mpg city, 30-32 freeway. The best I ever got was 36.
Keep your tires inflated or over inflate them a couple or more psi. (more in the winter)
Advance your timing a couple of degrees. (dead on factory timing for me reduced my mpg).
Convert to 4 wire o2 sensor.
Shift at 3000 rpm when accelerating. (I think this is in the manual).
Donā€™t sit around warming your car up in the morning.

btw our tanks hold 13.2 gallons. When your dash light goes on for low fuel you still have a couple of gallons left. E means nothing. Make sure that light works thoughā€¦My wife always yells at me because Iā€™m driving around with the gas light on. haha.

On the advanced timing idea, there is a higher chance of detonation, so you bump up to higher octain gas right? Well, the money you save with gas milage, you loose the cash you saved by having to buy the higher octane gas.

i got 406 one time but usually around 350

I just ran my car until it started really struggling to crank. Anyway, the tank was filled until it started running over. I got 282 miles to the tank. I will find out how many miles I get to the gallon in a couple days.

You donā€™t crank it that high. Just enough so you donā€™t need higher octane.

my gas mileage has been sucking too, i think i need to get a new o2 sensor

Most places, the difference between low and high octane fuel is only 2.66 for a whole tank (assuming a 20 cent difference). If you only get 1 additional mpg, you save (surprisingly) 2.66. So at worst, you come out evenā€¦

I called it a dizzy. I replaced the ENTIRE unit. Also I think I have had a valve job not too long ago. (Runs to check reciepts.)