should i go with flat black

:werd: yes, if you do a good job with it…read Sport Compact Car, they’re the masters when it comes to flat black

clift: :rockon: :up: you should do a complete write up and put it in teg tips man…i’m probably going to paint my boys ef flat black for him… :up:

I am also seriously considering the flat black , I think it looks sick. So , question , is anybody doing a clearcoat and if so , pics? Is the clearcoat worth it or does it mess with the flat styling? 'Cause I live in Oregon and the weather here is about 70% rain during the year and I don’t wanna have problems with my paint for a few reasons. One being the weather , but the most important is I have a tiny one car garage so I can’t just pull my car in for a few days , mask off the garage , and give her a touch-up. I also still live at home so the garage is still a “storage” area. What would you guys reccomend as reading material for someone who wants to start this project , meaning is this just an easier-than-basic paint job or does the rattle-can flat black style make it harder? Seems to be waaaay easier , but I wanna do it right the first time. Great thread by the way , and thanks for the help!

I’ll try to write up a full article on thursday… It may take a couple of days to do, so hopefully I can get it all posted here for sunday night. I’ll send it in as a teg tip too, as it can be used for any color not only flat black. Check back after thursday, I should have all the information here including materials.

To answer your questions Slick G2, yes flat black is an easy color to do because if you make a mistake you can just wetsand then paint over again. As for the question about clear coat, if you use Krylon Rust Tough like I did, it beads water off, it has a plastic compound in the paint that causes it to repel water completely just like a normal paint job, it doesn’t absorb any water whatsoever. It you do feel compelled to use a clear coat make sure it’s a low gloss or no gloss clear coat. If you use semi or full gloss you will end up with a very bad looking paint job, I promise you.

Just go through everything that I wrote and you should be ok as far as painting the car. I would however recommend going to a friends garage if possible, because dust in flat black paint does not look good, and also the wind can cause speckles and uneven spray resulting in rough spots.

did you paint under the hood too? im guessing not right?

I painted the underside of the hood, I have not started the engine bay yet though no, and i haven’t done a few of the little details. I have a lot of work to do in school so I only get the chance to work on it every so often in between all the other things. As stated though I will be taking off the bumpers soon and painting everything, when time permits.

damn u guys used 7 cans i used the most 5 cans. but i fine gritted the paint before i canned it. so it would hold better. but i painted ever thing besides the hood. i left black. but it was good cuz i had to do alot of body work to the exterior, in which the flat black help disclose. but the only downside is, if i dont know if this happens to u guys, is tat everytime i jump in my car and head off to work. i find everyone and there momma wanna start shit with me on the road. b4 i primered my car, no one tested me, but now i get geo’s and ford fiestivas all of a sudden wanting alittle of the DA power. but i would never regret painting it flat black!!

hmmmm.

I used 20 cans

if you think about how much paint you use with a real spraygun paint job. You should be aiming to use the same amount of paint with a rattlecan. thats the only way to get a tough long lasting finish that isnt going to chip or wear off.

Whats better a semi-flat or just flat? Also what’s a good brand to use?? :danger:

Just flat. And rainmenu, yes I did sand the car down before painting it. Otherwise the paint would have runs all over the place.

Just wondering I already have mine sanded down, But i was going to wetsand it with 1,000 before i sprayed it. I was going to do a colored sealer for that flat look. But all this talk about flatblack has me reconsidering it. :shrug:

dont wetsand before painting… you will make the surface too smooth for the paint to adhere well.

you should be using 400 grit as a final sanding before paint. If you are going to use a clear coat use a satin clear so its not shiny.

I used tremclad flat black automotive grade paint $10 per can ouchies!!

there is previous posts on here about using the Krylon flat black. I may give my car a layer of the krylon next spring.

I like flat black but i am biased :stuck_out_tongue:
only problem is i never wash mine so it always looks like the pic :shrug:

-Nick

Thanks

clift for the underside of the hood…are you going to use heat resistent paint?

o and did how many coats did you go man?

=p after that ill just wait for your guide

I did one coat of primer, then wetsanded it. That should be ok because it’s primer not the actual paint which has water resistant properties that like saint said would cause bad adhesion. In my case I did that, then I put on one coat of paint over the car, waited about 15 minutes(take this as a breathing break :danger: ) and then came back in and put a second on. I’ll try and get everything wrote up for the end of the weekend, but of course, school and work are calling me again. Might have to wait just a little bit longer :frowning:

thanks man just let us know when you have made that little guide

its just occured to me…my friend painted his corolla sr5 gloss black and it looked good…but had drips.

if he had used that fast dry stuff i would guess…no drips?
but would it look the same? anyone try?

Hey guys, sorry for taking so long with the write up, I’m very busy and a girl I know really well is just back from calgary for a week, but she’s going back wednesday so hopefully I can get it done then.