should i go with flat black

Good shit, I’m slowly doing this to my piece … Got the hood/fenders done, just gotta wait for dry weather to finish it up … :clap:

sorry aint feelin the flat black

It’s probably best that I tell you now, the roof of the car is one of the more difficult spots to paint properly cause when you hold the can, spraying down on the roof, you get spatters, but only once the can has lost a bit of pressure, so if you have several cans there just spray with the new cans. What I mean is, take a brand new can, spray, when you’ve used a bit of it, start using another new can, and keep going like this until you’re done, just to make sure you don’t get any rough areas of uneven spray. Once you get to the sides and the other parts of the car you can use the cans you previously didn’t finish cause you’ll be spraying with the can in the upright position. Good luck with it.

SCC Write up

Just what Clift said.
Sport Compact Car did an article about painting an STI Flat Black. They used Krylon Industrial “Rust Tough”, put it a hot water bath for better can pressure and paint atomization.
Issue is October 2004 Volume 16 No 10. a very thorough write up.

clift thats a great tip about using full cans to do the roof. To add to it… because of the angle you are spraying at… paint will accumulate on the rim of the can and if you dont wipe it off or adjust the nozzle a bit… the paint will eventually drop right onto your work. so make 2-3 passes… then check the rim under the nozzle for paint buildup.

my tip is… dont leave a can half full… make sure once you start a can you use the whole thing up that day, or you will find the paint will splutter the next time and cleaning the tip (of the paint can you perves) didnt help me.

I saw that STI Flat Black write up, that car looked SO fucking tits all blacked out !!! They used something like 23 cans, right? Tell you what, I’d rather paint my car flat black for around $100 as opposed to taking it to Earl Scheib & pay around $300 for a paint job that I’ve seen my friends get and be VERY unsatisfied with the quality … :rockon:

the tremclad paint i used was very expensive… $10 per can. and i used about 25 cans.

Im interesting in seeing what the kyrlon paint looks like on my car.

oh yeah, one other thing, if you do what i said, and use only the full cans for the top, when you stop spraying with them, turn them upside down and spray for a few seconds… this will prevent the spattering and clogging saint was talking about. And it only took me 7 cans of Krylon at 7 dollars each(Canadian) and i used 3 cans of duplicolor black primer. And yup Saint that’s what I meant to say but didn’t, you wanna make sure you whipe off the buildup that accumulates at the nozzle to make sure you don’t get big drops landing on the top, cause that means you’ll have to do it allllll over again.

P.S. Big bonus of Krylon is that it doesn’t fade at all.

:ghetto: :dance: :ghetto: :dance: :ghetto: :dance:

hey we dont make fun of your big aluminum wing and the neon wiper nozzles do we?? :burnout:

i was just talking to my uncle and he said if i buy the patch pannels i need and buy the paint he would do the rest for free woo hoo. should cost me about 100 bucks.

You actually took the time to do that? :gay:

Haha yeah really, this comming from a guy with so much style :uhoh:

hey clif i want to paint my integra flat black can you tell me everything you got to do it all? name brands and all thanks

well I’ll tell you what i used.

7 cans Krylon flat black paint
3-4 cans of black primer
80, 180, 320, 400, and 1000 grit paper (80 for removing excess bondo, 180 for removing small amounts of bondo/rust, 320-400 for sanding all the paint already on the car, 1000 for wetsanding the primer before application of paint)
Bondo, with applicator
Bondo-Hair (fiberglass mixed in for any reinforcement to weak areas)
Tack cloth (you’ll probably need 3-4 of these)
Masking tape
Newspaper
Bucket with hot water
garbage bags to cover garage
PATIENCE

wicked man thanks ya flat black looks sick

I’ll say it again. Even though I don’t like the color, I give all of those helping out in this thread props. You did it right the first time. :up:

clift. you mentioned that you used krylon flat black.

my question is…is it just the fast dry stuff? or is it the rust tough?

another question is…should i remove the previous paint before spraying with it? or could i just smooth out the previous paint?

my car has no rust what so ever…just want to change the colour of it. there are no dings or anything

i forgot to ask this one more question…if i use krylon spraypaint i wont ever need to wax again to help water bead off, correct?

sorry for post whoring…forgot another question…if i dont sand off the previous paint(just going to sand it a little to get off previous wax and clear coat)…which is very good condition…what paint do you recomend?