sealed sub box vs. ported

Just wanted to know the advantages, and disadvantages of having a sealed, or ported box. A friend told me that sealed enclosures hit harder but dont sound as good. Is that true?

I think he’s got it backwards,ported boxestend to be louder.Sealed boxes have a neater bass sound.Ported boxes sometimes sound sloppy if not built right; port length etc…

Ditto that… sealed box is easier to build 10% up or down on size will not make a diff. has a tighter more “thumpy” bass, will handle more power, down side, takes more power to reach the same SPL as other boxs, will not have as low a f3 point, ported boxs are a little harder to build size has to be closer then 10% off and the box will be bigger by at least the volume of the port, port tuning can be a pain, will handle less power, but also needs less power to reach same SPL as the sealed box, and the main reason is the lower f3 point, at least 1/2 an octive lower. I like the sealed box much better, and in a car, they are less problematic. :shrug: 94

aight then sealed box it is. thanks guys. what brand would you suggest? I have a audiobahn 10 inch linear compression sub. It has a HUGE magnet in the back and it needs a lot of clearance.

Just go look at the local swapmeet for a box. believe it or not you will find a lot of nice boxes. I picked mine up for $10 and it handles my two 10’s with no problem at all. Just make sure its in good condition and seal the inside with silicone before you install the sub.

Call me cheap but i just dnt understand why ppl spend so much on the simplest things.

Keep in mind though that certian subs require a certian amount of air space for them to perform at their best.Also, huge magnets displace alot of air,huge magnets aren’t bad just try to factor that in while you shop for your box.You get what you pay for so be careful, a well built box that meets your subs requirements will not only sound better but will last you alot longer. I’ve seen boxes that leak so much air because they were built with staples and air nails. And yes, silicon is a good sealant as well as an adhesive.

Thats true you do need to shop around and find the right size. But like i said just go take a look, you will be amazed at what you find.i was able to find a once peice box with a divider so it was like two boxes. And it was originally a ported box but i sealed the holes using foam and steel plates. Doesnt look too bad but sounds GREAT. But its all up to you whether you wanna take the time to just go look. Just sum advice.

Yeah, it doesn’t hurt to look . You may find a really good box, just make sure it is built well.I’ve seen some really good boxes from pawn shops and other places.And then at the same time ,seen some very sorry boxes from decent car audio stores.I know some stores want to be able to sell to the people that don’t want to spend alot of money but those are usually the ones who get upset and blame the installers for their box falling apart when they wanted the cheapest box available.So the location where you shop doesn’t matter, well it does if you plan on putting lots of power and competing, but if it’s just for the street, a good prefab box will do.

Thanks for the help guys. Actually im having a friend of mine build me a ported enclosure for 50 bucks. It is going to be made of medium density fiberboard, and it will follow the audiobahn box parameters exactly. I was going to have him make a sealed box, but the instruction manual said that it was not reccommended.