Saving the DB1

great work Steve-o :up:

[QUOTE=BLKACK1;2051232]There is a seal on the back side of the MC, sounds as if its just gone bade. A new MC might not be a bad idea.

Excellent work man, keep it up:up:[/QUOTE]

thanks, i was just gonna rebuild it but after talking with my boss he said it would be best to just replace cause even after replacing it it could go out again. and i also figure this is what caused my brake failure when i hit that truck lol

so im gonna try and get out to the shop tonight so i can weld the frame back together i think im gonna paint the bay with core support off and put the motor in befor i put coresupport on to make it a little easier will see

welded on the side, gonna use the torch to heat up the inside piece should have the motor in by this weekend everything is going very smoothly

Roll of quaters ^^

its pretty solid, the globs were hole repairs got a little to hot

how you know its solid you can see the welds all the way threw the metal

and painted a little more of the bay

My millermatic

Good stuff so far. Look forward to see ing the next update.

Interesting stuff going on in the background there. Looks like a very well-equipped shop (I believe I spy an English wheel). Who’s truck cab is that?

Why are you going to use a torch to heat up the inside piece? Pre-heat?

Did you weld the seam in one pass? It’s clear that you got good penetration, so my only concern would be distortion at the weld. A dip at that point could compromise the strength of the joint. It may not be a huge concern though, depending on how the frame rail is designed to buckle in a collision. It does look good from here. :up:

Also, if it’s at all possible I’d suggest rounding that sharp corner on the inside piece to prevent it from acting as a stress riser, or at the very least don’t start the weld at the corner. Any cracks that propagate from that spot may be hidden under paint later.

Those are just minor quibbles though. Kudos on taking on a job of this magnitude!

Werd it’s looking good Steve! As for the welding, I’d maybe try turning down the wire speed and upping the volts. You’ll have to travel faster but, it should cut down on the globbing. Also, don’t do it all in one pass. The metal is to thin, and will get too hot, as evidenced by the excessive penetration (excessive for collision repair). Which way were you traveling with the torch, uphill or downhill? The DB should be driving pretty nice after everything is done though, keep it up man!

thanks for the tips

i was welding up, didnt do it in one pass i did small tacks the globs were hole repairs on the side and the bottom were filling in the spot weld holes

as for heating it up with a torch im talking about the damage above the tow hook so i can bend it back as well as possible then do tacks 1in appart and pull and tap it together as well as i can.

the cab is a 36 chev me and my dad are building frame up. and the vehicle behind my motor is my 66 el comino just finished welding in new floor pans and part of the firewall, this is my first repair of this scale on a honda and i think its goin pretty good for my first time lol

It looks like it is going very well indeed. When your done with this what is your next project?

well i got a da ive been messing around with for a few years its got a built ls/v in it just hit 35k on the motor think im gonna sell it and put a lighter built gsr in and auto-x it but im leaving in october for basic i got 18 weeks of basic 2 weeks off for xmas then 2 weeks 4 days of basic airborne training then 3 weeks of ranger induction program, and then 9 weeks of ranger school when a spot opens so gonna get as much done as i befor i leave cause im not gonna have much time for the cars tell im done with all my training lol

didnt get any welding done today just painted some more and test fit the core support everything lines up awesome, going to a hod rod show with the whole fam tomorow so might weld up tommorow night after it

well what you guys think??

Looking good:up:

thanks bud

well after the hot rod show i thought id get some work done so i finished the frame, and started fitting the fender rails together gonna finished welding it up tomorow night its amazing how easy its going(knock on wood) the spot welds and new pieces make it easy to line up

First straigtned out the frame as best i could I love body tools ^^

Fit like a glove welded it in place

Now it was time to tackle the fender rails and lower metal piece that covers the wash jug

Rough cut from befor

Cleaned up

Drilled some spot welds out and fitted the main piece on just gotta trim it up and weld it on

Replacment piece for messed up outer fender rail

Also i got some fat fives from my buddy Travis hes bringin them by tomorow ^^

Do work my man! Fat Fives on DB1s look great, I posted a pic of my old DB on Fat Fives here

subscribed!

some of this is a little beyond me, as in i couldn’t do it, but i’m a sucker for db1’s! own one myself. project cars ftw! like it so far, time to start piecing her back together.

looks good, the fives im gettng are painted gun metal to, but im thinkin about polishing them out

Thanks teggykid its been a long proccess of getting parts hope to have it done in a week or to

[QUOTE=Stevo-DA;2052545]looks good, the fives im gettng are painted gun metal to, but im thinkin about polishing them out

Thanks teggykid its been a long proccess of getting parts hope to have it done in a week or to[/QUOTE]

can’t wait! I’ll have updates on my log this Saturday if you want to swing by and check it out then

will do bud, i just started welding when i was your age its a good skill to have should take it in HS

Coresupport is finished!! :rockon:

powered it out tonight, i messed up when i cut the inside fender rail accidently cut the poiece off i needed and had to fix it lol you will see what im talking about

Welded the nose on

The mistake :sad:

finished that up and went to BK to get some dinner and you cant work on a Teg with out wearing a crown just shows im the fucking man and everyone should know it when i wear a BK Crown workin on a DB1 lol

AND THE COMPLETION

Good stuff. So I take it you scrapped plans to leave it off til the motor could go back in?