power antenna

I need to replace my power antenna because it does not retract anymore. I have been reading about how to replace it form various places but I thought I’m come ask for some additional help just in case. It says to remove the top “nut” and then pull out the antenna. Will pullingit damage anything? Also I have been checking out ebay for some antennas and I came across this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7931037285&category=33639

has anybody ever heard of this system and does it work? Otherwise where is the best place to pick up a new one?

really…nobody’s had to replace their power antenna before?

I’ve had mine replaced before but I had it done by a friend at a stereo shop. It just looked to be too much of a pain in the arse for me to do it. You have to be a contortionist to get in there. From the way it looks it should be very simple.

You might want to check out the teg tip about replacing a power antenna. It sounds like the coard that moves it up and down is broken, so you will have to remove the mast and dissasemble the motor to replace the choard. It may just be easier to get a whole new on though. Never done one myself so…

I’ve replaced the mast on a few power antennas before… and yea… sometimes the teflon cord is busted… so you gotta pull the whole thing out, tear it apart, re-grease it, and install the new mast… on a few occasions the mast continued making that clicking sound on the way up and down… but most (2 of the 3 i did) the mast clicked a few times until it found it’s top and bottom limit… For 30 US, i’d probably just try out the 3rd party antenna assembly… hell of alot easier then pullin the old, poppin it open… etc… plus… when you do get it open… you’ll wanna re-grease it and everything… (wash off all the gears… then re grease and install them)… it can be a pain…

if I was the replace the entire assembly (motor and cord) do I still have to yank the existing cord out? Or do I just get into the panel where the motor sits in the trunk and take the assembly out that way? Otherwise where can I take to get this thing done? I really don’t wanna take it to Acura cause I’m sure they’d charge and arm and a leg to replace it.

I’ll post some pics tonight. I did the teg tip and it worked, except the peice that you have to turn was rusted out on all sides, due to the drain holes all being plugged up with dirt over the years. The metal motor cover was rusted- partly inside- and the aluminum shaft was corroded away at the base.

Make sure to clean ALL the dirt/grease away. I used stuff like WD-40.

If you saw mine you’d have thrown it out. I see so many tegs with those stupid rubber antennas, knkowing their power ones could have been fixed…

If you’re replacing the whole thing, there’s a few bolts inside the trunk that let you slip the whole assembly out… If the antenna is stuck in the up position… just tear it out or cut it off first. Total time if you dont know what you’re doing… about 25 mins… Total time if you know… about 5-10… It’s easy though…

my antenna stopped retracting an hour ago, i dont know if its broken or not.do i have to replace mines or is there something i can do to fix it?

Is it making any noise whatsoever?If it’s just kinda grinding… it’s just the mast… if it’s not making any noise… motor might be toast… usually the mast goes though… not the motor…

here

If it’s making farting noise as it goes up or down, it’s fixable. Follow the teg tips. Clean everything real well. grease lightly the gears, not the antenna shaft or teflon/plastic geared shaft. I lost the close up of the actual post that needs to be turned but in the pic it’s at the bottom center, with a rusty top, with the white plastic sitting around it.

See how bad mine was…and it works like new for the past six months now! So please don’t replace your fixable power antenna with thos stupid flexible ones that end up leaning outwards, like it’s starting to droop.

it makes a noise, but its not doing anything

until you get it fixed… i’d reccomend unplugging it so it doesnt tear up your antenna mast any worse then it has… my .02

how do I unplug it?

The antena is stuck in the up position but I can hear the cord clicking going up and down when in use.

Thanks for the pics 93integraGS.

Did anybody take alook at that antenna from that link on ebay I put up earlier in this forum? Should I go buy a genuine honda one or will any of these other antennas do?

You take off the bolts from the inside of the trunk right?

How do you unplug it so the antenna doesn’t go up? I thought about doing it at the head unit.

Just unplug the connector that’s hooked up to the power antenna unit behind the panels in your trunk…

im going to remove mine and shave it the power one in mine was replaced with this huge ugly one and im sick of looking at it.

new power ant - 75$ CDN. amplified hideaway antenna (metra) 45$ CDN. guess which way i went? :slight_smile: my antenna is always down now and will be shaved once i start the rebuild of the body… damn canadian winters just EAT cars alive.