Ongoing Scam - "I'll send you $xxxx, can you send me the remaining balance?"

dam i had a guy form nigira doing the same thing with me. i am trying to get him. he sent me a money order form wells fargo for 9000.00 his name is sean smith. this is all the info on him.

i want to let you know that, there are been urgent change in the shipper, the shipper went for an urgent pick up in asia, and he would not be arround for the next 2weeks, so have contacted the shipping company and they have provide a new shipper who you are to send the fund to, and he will come for the pick up, below is the shipper information.

NEW SHIPPER INFORMATION

NAME…JOSEPH OSADOLOR

ADDRESS…120 BUCHERS ROAD.

CANNING TOWN,

E16ING LONDON.

Hope to hear from you with the westernunion information you use in sending the fund to the shipper in this format

SENDERS NAME AND ADDRESS

TEST QUESTION AND ANSWER

AMOUNT SEND AFTER WESTERN UNION CHARGE

MTCN CONTROL NUMBER

RECEIVES NAME…JOSEPH OSADOLOR

Hope to hear from you asap
thanks…sean

s2kvtecc@comcast.net wrote:
were do i send the car and the money
----- Original Message -----
To: ls/vtec
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 8:09 AM
Subject: payment delivery

Hello,
How are you doing today?
I spoke with my associate today and he made me understand that he had sent the payment,and the payment will get to you before this week runs out okay?
I will be waiting to read from you soonest,
My regards to you and your family.

ls/vtec <s2kvtecc@comcast.net> wrote:
ok go ahaed and send it to landen ely at 2745 entrada cir. antioch, ca.
----- Original Message -----
To: “ls/vtec”
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 9:38 PM
Subject: Re: payment and shipping

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Hello,
> This is it 2348028462039 i will be waititng to read
> from you soonest.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> — ls/vtec wrote: > give me
> you number so i can call you
> > ----- Original Message -----
>
>
> > From: “sean smith”
> > To: “ls/vtec”
> > Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 9:15 PM
> > Subject: payment and shipping
> >
> >
> > > Thanks a lot for the mail and good day to you and
> > your
> > > family.how is business booming?hope great as
> > usual.i
> > > mail to let you know that the price is now okay by
> > me
> > > so this is how we are going to seal this
> > > transaction.There is an associate of mine in the
> > US
> > > who is owing me $ 8,000 i am going to instruct
> > him to
> > > send you a check for that amount,and when it
> > clears in
> > > your bank you can deduct your portion and send my
> > > balance
> > > by WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER to my shipping
> > agent
> > > who will come to your location for the pick
> > > up.Although i know that the value of the check is
> > more
> > > than the price of what am buying but i am willing
> > to
> > > trust you with my balance for the shipping. So if
> > this
> > > offer is acceptable to you,let me have your
> > contact
> > > information so that i can instruct my associate to
> > > issue and send out the check check to you immediat
> > > ely,that is your name,address and phone number
> > Please
> > > get back to me as soon as soon as you get th is
> > mail
> > > so that i can know
> > > your decision.hope to see your contact details so
> > that
> > > payment can be made out to you on time and also
> > try
> > > and send the picture along so that i can view it,
> > my
> > > regards to
> > > you and your family
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > — ls/vtec wrote: >
> > 3000.00
> > > call the number on the page that you saw
> > > > this on
> > > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > > From: “sean smith”
> > > > To:
> > > > Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 8:00 PM
> > > > Subject: 91 civic hb - $3000
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > > Hello Seller,
> > > > > I got the placement of your advert for the
> > said
> > > > item
> > > > > which
> > > > > i’m interested to purchase and i will like to
> > know
> > > > > your lowest price and the present conditions
> > also
> > > > with
> > > > > pics if available,
> > > > > I will be waiting to read from you
> > soonest,Regards
> > > > to
> > > > > you and your family.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> ___________________________________________________________ALL-NEW
> > > > Yahoo!
> > > > Messenger - sooooo many all-new ways to express
> > > > yourself
> > > > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> ___________________________________________________________ALL-NEW
> > Yahoo!
> > Messenger - sooooo many all-new ways to express
> > yourself
> > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
>
> ___________________________________________________________ALL-NEW Yahoo!
Messenger - sooooo many all-new ways to express yourself
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

This sounds like the first person that tried to scam the first poster of this thread earlier last year. You can tell because the scammer uses almost the exact same method and phrases as the first scammer. I guess theirs more than 1 person in the UK doing this.

So what happened??? Did u send the money and get scammed as well, or did u notice this was a scam beforehand???

i got lucky and some one from i work told me to run the money order first befor i cash it. it was from welfargo bank so i call them and ran the numbers on the money order and the said there is no such thing as a 9000.00 money order they only go to 1000.00 and the number on the money order were made up. then the guy keeps call me for the rest of the money that was 6000.00 to wire to him. so i had it out with im on the phone.

Someone tryed to use this scam on me about a year ago. I was selling my drumset and they wanted me to send $4000 to one of there other “clients.” So I fell into it and sent the money. Later that day the western union place called me and told me I didnt give them the correct I.D. so they couldnt send out the money. The lady looked over the papers and she knew about the scam and I didn’t get screwed. A couple days later the bank called and said I cashed a fake check. If I would have lost 4000 I would of tryed and sued the bank because when I was cashing the check I said “This check im cashing, It can’t be fake or anything right?” The guy said “It cant be fake.” The next day I told the guy I sent the money and lead him on for awhile. He said a truck was gonna come pick my drums up the next day but no one came…what a suprise.

I think that the scam cycle might be starting with me too.

I’m trying to sell my car http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100378 and I posted a free ad at http://autoexplosion.com/search/details.php?id=28025 too. The day after I posted it (today) I recieved an email from “smith” at what looks like a generic e-mail address ending in @newyork.com

“Hello
i am interested in buying your (CAR),firslty i will want you to give me the last price and the present condition with the pics and i will be paying by a certified cashiers cheque let me know if this is ok by you,i will also arrange shipping meanwhile let me have your name and address including your phone number for payment asap…”

That’s what they sent, misspellings and all. I didn’t even reply yet, what do you think I should do? and I posted a link to my car thread so the people on that site can see my pics. so why ask for them again?

If they’re serious, I’m tempted to use www.escrow.com in order to make sure that I get my money (since they verify funds, then authorize the seller to ship.) not bad for only $48

lmao I just realized… these scams always involve the UK and look how they spelled check “cheque” :smiley: could be a hint

Here’s one I got today :slight_smile: WOW these people are pathetic

Good day seller,
I’m enquiring about your said item.Can you pleaselet me know if itstill for sale and also i will like to know the lastoffering price.sothat payment can be made out to you via .U.S.A. cashiercheck and alsomakesure you get back to me with the present conditionof the item and also the picture.hopeto hearfromyou now,my regards to you and your family, thanks.

Check out the latest SMS services @ http://www.linuxmail.org
This allows you to send and receive SMS through your mailbox.

Powered by Outblaze

I wrote him back and asked him for his phone number so we can talk about the car…LOL

I was gonna flip him shit and tell him exactly what he was gonna do but I figured I would try and get as much info as I can out of him first :slight_smile:

they’re scam attempts are getting more lame and half-assed by the day…they don’t even seperate 2 or 3 seperate words now??? WTF…plus nothing else they spell is ever written correct…although, maybe they write like that to appear they are in the UK. obviously they don’t know alot of people know of their scam or else they would modify it…this scam gets older and more pathetic by the day

That is so the truth.

I got this guys phone number, what should I do? Before I go off on him.

tell him that you don’t want a check, and that you want to do escrow or western union (escrow preferably) because the fees for that won’t be much more that a real cashiers check. That should scare them off if they’re a scam.
Besides, at least you’ll get your money with escrow because they verify funds (make sure that you pick the escrow!!! there are 3rd party escorw scams too!) I guess same goes for western union.

Or tell them that you need to wait 10-14 days for the check to clear BEFORE you ship the car. :smiley:

or if your car isn’t selling for much, tell them that you just don’t want to ship it because it’s not worth it.

as for me… I just ignored the email and I wound up selling the car anyways.

what kind of fake checks do they send usually?..im thinking if you could trick them into sending one that is a bank in the US, in the area you live in…tell jimmy cole…or mr smith you want the check made out to cash…you could then take the check into that bank and cash it w/o any id…then keep the money for your self…its the banks fault anyway for cashing it…plus their insured for shit like that to happen…they’re not “technically” losing money. then after getting your money…email back the scammer, and send him a picture of all the cash…hahahaha…be like…thanks alot!! you just tried to scam me, but i scammed you…

do a reverse lookup

http://www.infospace.com

Hey I got another one today! Wow

where did you post your item/car for sale at?

I’ve posted on:

www.importmix.com
www.honda-tech.com
www.thepartstrader.com
www.g2ic.com

So I have no idea which site these people are getting this from. How can I report it? I didn’t fall for these emails or anything but if I could stop them that would be awesome.

I found this on my news channel’s website

HOME | Consumer
Email This Story Print This Story

sponsor
Scam Targets Online Classified Ads
Bebe Emerman KIRO 7 Consumer Investigator

If you have something for sale online you could be the next victim of a familiar check scam.

It used to be if you wanted to sell something you would simply put an ad in your local paper. Today most classified ads wind up on the Internet. And that makes you vulnerable to a very determined band of international thieves.

MORE ON THIS STORY
The Nigerian Check Scam

Bankrate.com: Online Auction Scams

Quiz: Are You A Sucker For Online Scams?

When Ed Viars decided to sell his nearly new scooter, his local paper gave him a good deal on an ad.

“In the classifieds and it would be posted on their website as part of the deal,” said Viars.

It quickly got results.

“I got an offer from somebody from London representing a buyer who lived in Canada,” said Viars.

The buyer offered full price for the scooter, $3,000, and quickly paid with a cashiers check, but the check was $5,000 over the asking price - $8,000.

Viars said the check looked authentic.

“From (a) guaranteed bank in Dallas, Texas,” said Viars.

So he deposited it and emailed the buyer telling him he’d overpaid.

“They wanted me to wire the money back to them, the $5000,” said Viars.

So he did, via Western Union. That’s the last he’s seen of his money.

“The next day he sent me an email stating that his client was in a severe car accident and needed me to wire him some more money, and I’m like, oh great,” said Viars.

The check, of course, bounced. He later found out it was a forgery from Nigeria.

“And I was negative $2,600 in my bank account,” said Viars.

Tim Woods is a special agent with the U.S. Secret Service. He says gangs of criminals, mostly in Europe and West Africa scan online want ads like these looking for vulnerable sellers.

“It’s been estimated these criminals send out about a half million emails a day,” said Woods.

Ed Viars is lucky at least he still has his scooter. Most victims of this scam not only lose their money but whatever they had for sale as well.

Viars says the most frustrating aspect of this scam is that nobody including the police, his bank, even the Secret Service could help him. Investigators say not only are these crooks almost impossible to track down, if you do track them down, it is almost impossible to prosecute them.

seems like the partstrader.com is the most likely target…people always say its stuff on here they were trying to sell when they were contacted, or have listed stuff several places and the partstrader is usually one.
someone is california was arrested for doing the same thing, they was a thread about it on here a while back

Well, I just saved my friend $3000 and a $2000 bmx bike. A guy claiming to be Lars Kens, from an unknown destination(everytime he was asked, he changed the subject) Was going to send Darcy $3000…$1300 for the bike, and he wanted $1700 sent back to him. He was so happy that he found a buyer for the bike, and had everything all arranged…then he told me about it, so I immediately told him “No, dont send him any money, and dont cash the cheque” then sent him the link to this. His reply was “Holy shit, I would have lost $5000”. So he emailed the scammer telling him he knew that he was going to be scammed, and now with the cheque on it’s way here, me and him might take it to the bank and see if theres anything we can do about it. But probably not…so everyone WATCH OUT FOR SCAMMERS!

my teg is on autotrader and ive had nothing but scammers for buyers and im sick of it i payed $40 to get scammers emailin me all day an night??? heres a few emails…

BUYER INFO
Name: barrister donald duke
E-Mail Address: tictac_247@techie.com
Comments: I will need your address,phone no and the name you want the payment issued.A certified cashiers check that is cashable the same day you make the deposit in your bank or any check cashing point would be sent to you for the car purchase.Get back ASAP!

Hello Sylvain,

Thanks for your expedited reply,and i lso want to use this opportunity to let you know that you'll be sending any excess over your selling price of $2200 the same day you get the cashier check via western union money transfer which would be meant for general shipping/logistics since it is been shipped to Africa where my client has just recently relocated to.

All i need now before giving my client the go ahead to authorise the payment is your solemn word and trust that you’ll be snding the excess funds less the western union charges meant for shipping via western union the same day you get the check without any hassles or delays.Please get back to me on time.

Yours Sincerely,

Barrister Donald.

BUYER INFO
Name: jerry pamar
E-Mail Address: jerry_pamar@fastermail.com
Comments:
Hi get back to me with the last price for the car so that we can procced for the payment also you kind of payment if bank casheir is been accept for the payment.Get back to me today.

this one is really funny,i dont own a ford its an acura haha:
BUYER INFO
Name: williams cole
E-Mail Address: williams_inc@asiamail.com
Comments:

Goodday,
I am interested in your advert ford car, i want to purchase it for a purpose because i have been searching for it for a while now, i will appreciate your effort if you can afford to sell it for me am also paying you by cer
thats all it said didnt even finish it!!

BUYER INFO
Name: Williams Rico
E-Mail Address: wlly_rico@yahoo.com
Comments: I am interested in the sales of your (car ) which i will like to
know the following information about it:
1.Updated pics
2.Asking price.
I want you to know that my mode of payment is cashier’s check so i
want you to get back to me

now this one i dont think is a scam but i want yall to read it too,he first wrote asking bout the car and all and i told him i would only accept a check for the amount of the car and he would have to make all actions to ship it after the check cleared and he is responsible for paying it…so he agreed to that heres what he said:
Hello Seller,
Thanks for the confirmatio of the price … i want to make payment out to you as soon as possible … furnish me with your full name and address so as payment would be issued out to you ASAP . Also i have being making arrangement for the shipping of the car so that they can come for the pickup of the car as soon as you confirm the payment of the car.
Thanks , expecting your prompt reply.
do yall think this is still a scam?

scam

I’m talking to someone that trying to make a scam. it’s the same scenerio. guy from UKwith US partner and will pay in cashier check, over the asking price.

what should I do?