is the b16A a good motor?

this makes no sense. they should be equally as fast. winner is almost always the better driver between 90-93 rs/gs/ls and 94-01 rs/gs/ls.

haha…how did my motor get pulled into a B16a thread? Thanks Tommy for bringing my car in here to prove a point :giggle: :stuck_out_tongue:

that’s my car and I’m positive it doesn’t have a VTEC head :slight_smile:
All-motor, non-VTEC. It’s still a 1.8L with no displacement increase.

I haven’t tested it, but I think the dip is due to the CAI. I’m dynoing my baby again soon and I’m going to try it with a SRI on instead.

Compression: ITR pistons
Cams: Crower 404
Management: Hondata S200

:wave:
nope…no VTEC head.

Kills me how SOME VTEC guys just can’t admit that a B18a can be built nicely within a reasonable budget and get great gains in HP and especially torque. Actually, for less than a GSR swap, a LS motor can be built to beat the GSR, assuming you already have the LS. Anyone agree with my last statement?

the dip is somethine i’ve experienced with my 403’s as well, but more in the a/f ratio than in the hp/tq numbers. right around 4400 rpms it’ll just go way rich, so i’m pretty sure it’s because of the cams. and thanks to my afcII not having an adjustment point there, i’m kind of screwed :bored:

Yes, this is what I’m talking about when I say that there’s really no motor that is worth tearing out a perfectly good LS for. Because you’re not gonna get much back for it. But you could spend 3000 bucks for a B18C1 and transmission by the end of the day.

Actually I was mainly referring to this garbage you posted:
“Even the old obd0 b16 is much faster then the b18. I know b18’s come in various flavors, b18a b18a2 and b18b. But they are all slow in my opinion.”

Much faster? You DON’T know what you’re talking, quite spread GARBAGE and learn a thing ro two before opening your mouth. Just because you’re too ignorant to respect the potential of the b18a engine doesn’t mean they SUCK. It means YOU suck.

“But I still beat stock DA’s and it’s pretty easy to keep up with 94-01 b18b’s”

• DA’s are LIGHTER than DB’s, 92-93 DA’s have essentially the SAME power, so how can you beat DA yet only keep up to DB’s?? Easy, you’re talking out your ass, there’s too many people on this board with real experiences and tons of knowledge to be listening to someone who probably has never seen a drag strip in his life, and his experience consists of a STOCK b18a and a STOCK b16a with LS tranny.

can’t you just put an adjustment point there?? I used a VAFC-1 for my LS build, it ended up geving me 16tune points so I have no trouble putting points wherever I need em,

wat about a b18a with a decent turbo??? wouldnt that be a better investment moneywise rather than buying a b18C? i want to turbo my car in the future, but i am not really educated about the turbos for that motor yet, so can someone show me a website or resource that has good information on the turbo for this car and the price??? thanx

just go look in the Forced Induction forum. I’m sure you’ll find all the info you need.
http://www.g2ic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Do you even know who I am? Please do not tell me what engine is better or worst. Now for you guys that live and die by the ls non vtec engine just go ahead and continue with what ever you want to believe. I’ll pay 2700 hundred for a jdm b18c1 and have a much better engine in the end, thats just me opinion.

You guys keep forgeting that your comparing a b18 that has more displacement in the first place to a b16. I understand an ls can be built but the b16 can be built as well and has much more potential.

WTF does a B18C have to do with this? We’re discussing between the B16A and B18A. I don’t think anyone’s here to argue that a B18A is better than a B18C. The B18A and B16A are simply built for different things and they are both good at what they are designed for. You can make good power with either, the LS will make more power down low for stop light to stop light driving, and the B16A will make power up high. It’s been shown a million times that the non VTEC engines destroy in terms of HP and torque up to at least 5500 rpm.

You say “I can spend 2700 on a B18C and end up with a much better engine”. Better engine yes, but faster car than an LS with 2700 into it? Not even close. Potential doesn’t get you down the track faster, I think a lot of people over use the term when they argue.

And I hate it when people say the b16 has much more potential, no it doesn’t, it has the potential to go maybe a few tenths faster in the 1/4 mile, like I said before 200whp is extremely rare to see on a b16, so where exactly is this “potential” you speak of?

a b18c is a better engine, OBVIOUSLY, is it worth the money? if you want speed I don’t think it’s worth it at all, a turbo’d LS is much more cost effective than an N/A GSR. But, if you want speed, stock reliability, and VTEC braggin rights then a b18c is worth the 2700+labour.

either way we’re not disvussin b18c’s, we’re talking b16, and you’ve shown more than once you have no clue what you’re talking about. Just admit it, you’ve never built an LS, OR a b16 OR a b18c! Your just an anternet racer who’s driven 2 stock integras…I look forward to your next bit of valueable advice…

you said it yourself…
so why replace a B18 for a smaller displacement B16 if the original motor is running fine.

and I disagree about the B16a having more potential…

if we’re talking about N/A builds…
My brother and I both have fully built N/A motors.

He has B16a CRX, I have a b18a1 Integra.

We both have the same type of mods done (machining, big cams, pistons, same tranny, same air flow mods, same exhaust mods)

He dyno’d 176.9 whp 125 ft-lbs @ 7000 rpm
I dyno’d 178whp/141 lb/ft @4500 rpm

Both were dyno’d on the same dyno, on the same day, so the variables are next to none.

His car will of course kick my car’s ass anyday of the week because of his lighter chasis, but I wouldn’t say the motor potential of the B16a is more than a B18a.

Let’s just say if i threw his built B16a into my Integra, my car would be slower than keeping my fully built b18a1.

Also, I’d like to note that he’s running more compression than me.

Wow, people just love to team up on guys here all the time. But what ever, you stick to your ls enigne and I’ll stick to my vtec engine and we’ll all be happy. Some people just love to be thick headed and won’t admit that the b16 is just a better engine hands down. There will come a point where you can’t do anything else to get more power out of those ls engines.

Just combine your Ls bottom with a b16 head. Compromise! Torque with high revving if done right! Would walk on both of those motors…Get a b16 head and ecu for like 400 and rebuild your ls bottom end with a ys1 tranny. If your going turbo omit everything I just said.

reving past 7k on lsvtec with stock bottom is a nono

totally agree with the statement

but i’m the opposite about vtec. i have a b16 swap and i dont really like it anymore. i must admit that vtec is awesome but i dont use it much anymore, it wastes gas and attracts the wrong attention. i’ve been pulled over 9 times in this car and every time was because i did a little vtec action.(i’m not playin around, out of all 9 times, i got 2 tickets, the other 7 times was the pigs picking on me) i loved my torquey b18 but my nonstickdrivinmother blew it up.

vtec, no vtec i dont care. i hate the tranny on this thing too. way too fucking short. when i’m riding down I-75 going like 80 its fucking revving up to like 5000rpm, its very annoying. i love my car to death and wouldnt sell it or trade it, but i really need to buy something more practical. as far as going to the track or just ridin for fun, its great and i love it. but for daily driven use i dont like it. my license is suspended for another 2 months so i guess it dont really matter teehehehaha :stuck_out_tongue:

i’d say just stick with the b18a and put that 1700 into it. you will smoke b16’s that way and have fun doing it. then you can laugh at them and say “haha fucker, you got smoked by a non vtec motor, biddyotch!” j/p

if i could start over with my car, i’d go non vtec B20 with bolt-ons all the way. i plan to do that sometime in the future but i’m broke and tired of working on it.

I understand that vtec draws attention, but there is no other feeling then dropping down to 3rd gear and getting out of freeway traffic. I believe most of these guys here with their built ls’s are running the short gear trannies. An ls tranny slows you down alot.

:werd: now that i can still do. on the freeway its easy to see if cops are around and you’re already going pretty fast so yea i love doing that. especially when someone does a ricer fly-by, drop 3rd and fuck em haha.