DA Trailing Arm Bushing!

I understand how it affects OEM bushings, in that they have to be clocked in order to avoid shearing the rubber, but I wonder if the side loads on a poly bushing caused by rear toe-in are even significant at near-stock ride heights. My car is lowered 3/4" on H&R OE Sport springs, I have an ES master kit that I haven’t installed yet, and I had been planning on going OEM or equivalent for the TA’s.

But now I’m definitely reconsidering the poly bushings… :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=GoGreen;2186161]Solid posts. It’s helpful to hear some real-world, first-hand experience on this issue. wise_old_dragon, your post was particularly helpful as I had wondered how the bushings would last in daily driving conditions in Western Canadian winters.

Is it possible that the amount of lowering affects the durability of the bushings?[/QUOTE]

No problem I’m glad I could help, I live in Calgary where our winters are pretty bad. I was a little worried that the bushings would not hold up very well in cold conditions, but so far no problems.

Lowering shouldn’t be an issue, unless you are forcing the suspension to take extreme angles( especially caster for the lower control arm bushings). An important consideration when installing: Torque the bolts when your car is lowered, not when it’s jacked up in the air. ie. Jack up your car, place blocks under the wheels and lower it, then torque. This will allow the bushings to settle first and the suspension to sit at it’s normal resting position when they are squeezed by clamping force of the bolts.

Also another thing I want to point out. I don’t hear any squeeking like many poeple say poly bushings will make in cold weather. But of course this may be masked by the other rattling sounds my car produces LOL. Especially my trunk area where I think it may be flexing under the stiffness of the suspension.

I’m in Calgary now too, formerly Red Deer. We didn’t get as many chinooks there, so snow tended to stick around longer, I think. Hence why I opted for a conservative ride height!

So far I’ve only changed the bushings in the rear lower control arms, when I installed new shocks and springs. I was concerned about squeaks too, but my original rubber bushings creak in extreme cold anyway!

here you go: http://www.performanceforum.com/wesvann/honda/bushing/bushing.html

.[QUOTE=DB2-R81;2171303]This is an unsubstantiated fable instigated by one individual on Honda-Tech and disseminated like a virus by individuals like you throughout the internet.

Idon’t use them at present because there is a better alternative, Pro Car Innovations Rear Spherical Trailing Arm Bushings however before these were produced I used ES TA bushings for many years.

If you’re going to make a claim like this please provide a source with factual data to back it up.

ES trailing arm bushings are an inexpensive replacement that allow adequate movement of the rear suspension in all necessary directions.

I don’t use them at present because there is a better alternative, Pro Car Innovations Rear Spherical Trailing Arm Bushings however before these were produced I used ES TA bushings for many years.[/QUOTE]

DB2-RB1 How much of a difference did you feel switching from es to the pci? is it really that much better? I mean considering the price difference 35$ vs 260$ I understand that bearings are superior but still have trouble justifying the price difference. Its not like the es bushings are crap…

I do plan on going with the PCI some time in the near future but its looking like il have to use ES for at least the next season cuz money is needed elsewhere on the car