DA Trailing Arm Bushing!

So I have been reading all the archives and like 20 threads and it seems that 50% of the people are oem or bust and 50% are ES or bust haha. My car is lowered but is still going to be a daily, what do you guys think I should go with? The ES bushings are cheap but I do work at Honda and could get the oem for an ok price (still way more then the ES…)

That was a part number for Civics and 94-01 Integras.

If you guys would have actually bought brand new OEM bushings you wouldn’t have to deal with parts that don’t fit. I know for a fact a Honda bushing with the right part number wouldn’t have done that…And also I would definitely not suggest polyurethane bushings in the trailing arms to anybody. They don’t allow the proper lateral (side-to-side) movement that the suspension was designed to have.

It’s been pretty well established NOT to go with poly bushings in the trailing arms, they can go everywhere else, just not the TAs. Look above for reasoning

The own number I got from this thread was the same one I ordered. Not sure if that was an old stock or what. It was dorman which is an oem replacement.

LOL. Dorman is an OE equivalent which is NOT an OEM part. There’s definitely a difference, as you just unfortunately found out. If it were the right part number, then it should fit right? That’s the EXACT reason why I buy parts from Honda instead of cheaper store brand replacements. Matty and Leo had no problems installing the Honda part, with the right number…http://forums.g2ic.com/showthread.php?199940-RTA-bushing-replacement/page2

Eh I work at Honda so I will just order that number then and it should be right this time, just cost a bit more

[QUOTE=mrpenny;2171066]That was a part number for Civics and 94-01 Integras.

If you guys would have actually bought brand new OEM bushings you wouldn’t have to deal with parts that don’t fit. I know for a fact a Honda bushing with the right part number wouldn’t have done that…And also I would definitely not suggest polyurethane bushings in the trailing arms to anybody. They don’t allow the proper lateral (side-to-side) movement that the suspension was designed to have.

It’s been pretty well established NOT to go with poly bushings in the trailing arms, they can go everywhere else, just not the TAs. Look above for reasoning[/QUOTE]

This is an unsubstantiated fable instigated by one individual on Honda-Tech and disseminated like a virus by individuals like you throughout the internet.

Idon’t use them at present because there is a better alternative, Pro Car Innovations Rear Spherical Trailing Arm Bushings however before these were produced I used ES TA bushings for many years.

If you’re going to make a claim like this please provide a source with factual data to back it up.

ES trailing arm bushings are an inexpensive replacement that allow adequate movement of the rear suspension in all necessary directions.

I don’t use them at present because there is a better alternative, Pro Car Innovations Rear Spherical Trailing Arm Bushings however before these were produced I used ES TA bushings for many years.

i heard the spot that the body mount slips through on the es bushing tends to oblong over time. is that true?

This is true, they do tend to deform over time however I would consider all bushings wear items that require replacement like tires or belts.

Bah oem are 98 at MY cost…

This is the part number to the Dorman trailing arm bushing #905-751 they fit 90/93 trailing arms I got them thru rockauto.com they were like 30 bucks each or so hope this helps

Dang that sucks ha I just ordered the oem ones through work, I could have got the dorman ones from worldpack…

Yup got my OEM ones for $60 a pair brand new from a member on here and fits like a glove… no problems at all…

Put in the oem and cocked them a bit to compensate for the 2 in drop. Rides great now!

Just thought I would bump this, noticed the Schley tool now does G2s.

http://www.devildogtools.com/scpr65hoactr2.html
Fancy new ring.

[QUOTE=mrpenny;2171066]That was a part number for Civics and 94-01 Integras.

It’s been pretty well established NOT to go with poly bushings in the trailing arms, they can go everywhere else, just not the TAs. Look above for reasoning[/QUOTE]

This is not true, the rear suspension does not need lateral movement. It does however need to have rotation in two directions along the horizontal plane. Most Poly bushings allow for free movement in one direction, and rely on the compression of the material for the other direction. While it may be true that some people have experienced problems using poly bushings, it was probably attributed to the fact that most of them were using high durometer bushings that didn’t allow for enough compression. It is crucial that Trailing arm poly bushings have the ability to compress to some degree.

I myself have never experienced problems with my ES trailing arm bushings. Even during my track days (in all almost conditions, wet, cold, hot) the car felt more stable and predictable with the poly bushings. I have never felt any so called “binding” even on the bumpy(crappy LOL) highspeed sections of my local track. They are currently 2 and a half years old, and been through two winters daily driven. They have yet to show any signs of abnormal wear and still allow my suspension to have normal movement.

I would say, don’t buy into the poly binding theory unless you try it for yourself. They are cheap and easy to replace anyways.

[QUOTE=wise_old_dragon;2185438]This is not true, the rear suspension does not need lateral movement. It does however need to have rotation in two directions along the horizontal plane. Most Poly bushings allow for free movement in one direction, and rely on the compression of the material for the other direction. While it may be true that some people have experienced problems using poly bushings, it was probably attributed to the fact that most of them were using high durometer bushings that didn’t allow for enough compression. It is crucial that Trailing arm poly bushings have the ability to compress to some degree.

I myself have never experienced problems with my ES trailing arm bushings. Even during my track days (in all almost conditions, wet, cold, hot) the car felt more stable and predictable with the poly bushings. I have never felt any so called “binding” even on the bumpy(crappy LOL) highspeed sections of my local track. They are currently 2 and a half years old, and been through two winters daily driven. They have yet to show any signs of abnormal wear and still allow my suspension to have normal movement.

I would say, don’t buy into the poly binding theory unless you try it for yourself. They are cheap and easy to replace anyways.[/QUOTE]

Thank you well said and I very much agree, this somewhat attempts to put an end to one of the internet’s fairy tales…

From what i gathered it was in braking that poly bushes were different, as when braking the oem bushings allow more toe for in whereas poly bushes dont allow this??

Different does not equal detrimental, yes they are stiffer than stock bushings so unsurprisingly they will allow for less toe in under braking. Increased rear toe in does result in greater straight line stability however the change in alignment to that toe in condition will contribute to less operator/driver predictability.

Solid posts. It’s helpful to hear some real-world, first-hand experience on this issue. wise_old_dragon, your post was particularly helpful as I had wondered how the bushings would last in daily driving conditions in Western Canadian winters.

Is it possible that the amount of lowering affects the durability of the bushings?

as long as the bushing is properly positioned it won’t affect the durability. if you’re using a OEM bushing. i have the ES bushings and agree with the above posts. the binding issue is an internet myth that people exaggerate on way too much.