BobLoblaw's Build Blog

hahaha. I figured that picture would have any ladies on the board swooning over you. :angel:

Just found this pic of the casualties from the ABS removal. That stuff weighs quite a bit, so you get some decent weight reduction from pulling the ABS as well.

yeah i remember when i pulled mine great stuff

Very inspiring build! Keep up the meticulous work :up:

Bump for some updates:)

Yeah! Where’s that header so I can weld in that bung?

Have mad a little more progress, but still waiting on the damn motor mounts. Inlinefour is telling Innovative that if they can’t drop ship them tomorrow, then cancel the order. I’ll probably pickup some Avid mounts if that’s the case. The HASPORT mounts look real nice…but I’m not sure I want to pay $350 for mounts.

Anyway…I got the fuel pump changed, Precision injectors installed, clutch and tranny on (need to get some more pics still).

I put in a Walbro 255LPH pump. Thanks to Aggazi and Glynn for dropping the tank while i was working on something else.
I was surprised how quick it was - and how easy to put it back on. (I don’t know why anyone would consider cutting a hole in their body :roll:)

I also bought some new coolant hoses and reran the lines for the head and IM:

Then it was time for the clutch:

Off the engine stand!

Can’t forget the new main seal

Freshly resurfaced ACT Streetlite flywheel

And my ACT clutch. Yes, it’s used. It had pretty low miles and I didn’t want to have to worry about breaking in a clutch and motor and tuning at the same time, so I opted to throw this on.
Notice Glynn’s flywheel holder…such a handy tool.

Precision Injectors Install

I was originally going to use OEM RDX injectors. But they take a little work to fit and, once you look at the cost for all the little parts you’d need, they’d cost more than Precisions. I’m also still not totally convinced that the spray-pattern and depth of the squirters in the IM on the RDX injectors is right for a B18A manifold. I was also told that the Precision injectors were a direct fit…but that’s not completely accurate. Here’s what it takes to install Precision injectors in case anyone is thinking of doing so. It’s not really difficult, but definitely not direct fit.

First off, the injectors won’t even fit through the IM. I was told sometimes Precision machines them so they’ll fit and sometimes they don’t…hmmm makes you wonder about their QC processes.

Here’s the injector. Notice the metal lip on the squirter side.

The injectors won’t come through the IM like they’re supposed to. That lip is too large for the opening.

I used a 1/2" drill bit to open it up the holes on the IM - and then smoothed it out with a dremel.

Now the injectors fit through correctly.

Then, on the G2 tegs, there are two parts to the injector seat. There’s a hard plastic seat that sits at the bottom of the IM holes:

And then there are soft rubber pieces that sit on top of those:

The injectors would not fit through the plastic pieces at all, and wouldn’t fit into the IM with the rubber seats installed because the injectors were too wide…time for the dremel again.

We widened the ID on all the plastic pieces until they fit over the injectors.

…and then did the same with the rubber seats.

Putting them in a socket seemed to be the easiest method.

It was still a pretty tight fit. With enough oil, were were able to get the injectors to seat all the way though.

I tried putting them all in the fuel rail first, then forcing them into the IM. But i couldn’t get them to seat that way. Twisting them into the IM one by one got them all seated correctly.
(Look at the pic of the injector above and you can see that the rubber seat gets pushed out much further than the plastic one…this is what makes pushing them in tough.)

Then some oil on the o-rings and steady pressure on the fuel rail got everything mated up correctly.

Nice! Getting close! I got your bung welded in today, but I forgot it in my booth :giggle:. So I’ll get that to you on Monday

I love reading detailed builds like this :up:

This build is way too detailed. Good Job!

there no such thing as Way Too Detailed, that what make a good build :stuck_out_tongue:

when you removed you abs what master did you youse ?

No worries…I won’t need it for a while anyway. Glynn said that thing looked nice.

I kept the ABS master. I believe it’s a little bigger. You have to re-flare one or two of the fittings on the brake lines for it to work though. I bought lines off of Colin that were already fitted to work with the ABS master.

Glad you guys like the details! I always like the threads that have pics of all the steps along the way.

Speaking of

:pixstfu:

Motors looking good. :up:

Thanks man.

I got a few more little things taken care of and went and picked up some Avid mounts from Sikinyas23. The motor should be going in this afternoon!

Nice shiny billet mounts. I had to run a tap through one of the tranny mount holes, so i put them all on to make sure other threads were clean.

I rigged up a bracket for the new wideband controller. I might make a little heat shield for it since it’s right over the exhaust.

Did some minor cleanup in the engine bay. I pulled the cruise control, pulled the fuel solenoid things, moved the MAP, and rerouted a few wires.
I’m really happy how much cleaner it looks for the little effort it took.
The MAP will mount lower on the firewall. I’m also going to run the vacuum line for the booster under the master.

I just deloomed the wires and rerouted slightly. I brought everything under the master, tucked all the unused ABS wires and reloomed.

mrpenny welded another bung in the header for me :up:

And some new Raxles showed up last week, so this thing is about ready to finish up :rockon:

all i can say is wow, this is a BUILD. i thought i had a lot of hard work on my car. haha, whats preferred? sanding down all the paint off an entire car or rebuilding a motor? :tapfing:

We made some great progress by actually getting the motor in the car last night:rockon:

all these good threads on here making me want to start mine. the motors looking good and good to see yet another person taking good pride in there build.

keep it man:rockon::rockon:

Nice build Keep it up!!