Are our cars easy to steal?

yeah, the lock will just slow them down. Eventually they’ll get it off, just alot slower then it would if it wasnt there.

NRG sells hub locks for like $100, just dont lose the key. lol

I believe our cars are just too old. If it’s the oem locks and ignition that’s in the car then anybody can just wiggle their key and there and take it. But hell sometime I want to buy a different lock/ignition set-up and upgrade it. Something that’s like laser cut or whatnot.

http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com/da_integra/index.html

/thead. Unless of course they have a tow truck.

MantisX

I actually used my old Chevy Truck Key to unlock my Tegs door, it pissed me off to no end i was like aww what the hell. but now i have a few different layers of protection on my honda’s the civic hasnt been touched and the DB1 has not either but then again i park in a garage. but i am more worried about either when i am at school. since there is no garage. and i live on campus.

[QUOTE=MantisX;2067644]http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com/da_integra/index.html

/thead. Unless of course they have a tow truck.

MantisX[/QUOTE]

even with a tow truck there are elevation sensors that you can get so that if the car moves like its being towed the alarm will sound. my girls mercedes has it, we tried to change a tire on the side of the road and even with the car unlocked if it moves the alarm sounds.

im waiting for someone to release GPS based alarms. its a much better idea than hoping sensors and wires dont get cut.

best anti theft device is BRAINS. There are MANY ways to keep your car from being stolen. Some are simple and some are very hard to find.

I myself have 3 forms of anti theft.

1. i have my fuel pump power wire run through a series of switches. i have 5 switches in total and if all 5 arent where they need to be the pump wont run. if i park somewhere and i cant keep it in sight i move the switches out of order. (and no the switches are not anywhere near the driver or dashboard)

2. TRAIN HORNS. I have a alarm and i replaced the stock horn BS that it came with with a set of electirl train horns. If they go off, everyone knows.

3. complete ignition cutout. Either you can open your hood and pop out your ecu fuse, or have a inline hidden fuse somewhere in the system you can quickly pop off. i chose the second of the 2

I know most of these are somewhat common, but together they work amazing. Ive parked my car in downtown newark many times, never had any issues. As far as the whole “i dont wanna have to put a fuse in to drive my car” or whatever else complaint, remember this. a extra 5-10 seconds to start your car for YOU will take a thief 5-10 MINUTES to find and would you rather a little more hassle to start your car or a LOT more hassle to replace it when it is stolen?

yes they can still break into the car, but whats the most they can take in a hurry? and 99% of theives will give up when they cant start the car and run away with their tail between their legs

[QUOTE=OMG Its Weasel;2067670]even with a tow truck there are elevation sensors that you can get so that if the car moves like its being towed the alarm will sound. my girls mercedes has it, we tried to change a tire on the side of the road and even with the car unlocked if it moves the alarm sounds.

im waiting for someone to release GPS based alarms. its a much better idea than hoping sensors and wires dont get cut.[/QUOTE]

Yep, they make those for aftermarket alarms as well. The point I was trying to make though, is all thats really gonna do is have your alarm going off as they drive down the street with it on the back of the tow truck.

@ Stanimal: Where did you purchase your electrical airhorns? I have the same thing in mind, I just didnt want to go ebay batshit and get some horns that suck.

MantisX

local 4x4 shop around me. got them LONG ago for a old 4x4 i had. i THINK ta truck stops sell them as well, but not positive. they are hella loud tho and if someone is stealin your car everyone will know :smiley:

Ive found that kill switches work the best. I have 3 on my car, they got in no problem but could’nt drive away in it. Just lost my stereo, shift knob and seats. Just make it hard for them to steal, but its true if they really want it they will take it. All we can do is make it as difficult as possible. I stay in Cali and integra’s and honda’s go missing everyday here, but only the hard ones to steel dont.

[QUOTE=Stanimal;2067776]
I know most of these are somewhat common, but together they work amazing. Ive parked my car in downtown newark many times, never had any issues. [/QUOTE]

This isn’t the downtown newark of the late 80’s early 90’s though. They’d steal you car and send you the alarm in the mail a week later. They used to run around with tanks of freon to smash the club. I’m talking about 13 year old kids here.

These days, forget it. You’re most likely going to run into a few brooklynites who decided to move to newark because its “NJ’s hip new answer to the revitalization of Harlem”.

Best weapon against auto theft is the right level of insurance or the correct insurance products and services to fit your situation. Or drive a $700 car that NO ONE wants to steal.

You say that, why dont you go stand on the street in the ironbound one night if you think its that safe? lol. i know its better there but im making a point.

Been there done that. I live less that 7 miles away from newark, on a bus route (I don’t have to come to car thieves, they come to me). I spent my summers (from 12-16) working in a warehouse where the prudential arena now stands. I’m 28 so that was before it was “safe”. If you can imagine it I’ve seen it. I’ll stand anywhere in any city with not an ounce of uneasiness or fear (could stem from spending 3 years working at Greystone, but I digress).