anyone have proof a vtec oil pump flows more?

nope just a tightwad since i blew all my money on parts i didn’t need. So now my turbo kit (custom) is sitting in the garage while i save for a chip programmer, wideband and some other things i should have bought instead of buying things based on others opinions. Oh well learn from your mistakes i guess :bang:

The difference is the GSR/ITR pump has a higher spring tension for the ball check bypass valve. Which means it will put out a higher pressure before oil is dumped through the oiling system bypass. The pumps are the same otherwise. You can adjust the output pressure by shiming the spring.

I don’t know what your all smoking, they are different pumps. If someone would actually check the part numbers, They are different part numbers from the dealership. Not only that, but the part numbers on acura automotive parts are different too. #9043 for a 91rs and #9040 for 94gsr. The vtec pumps are higher flowing pumps. Also if you still want to argue, people that make the high volume gears for oil pumps differ in part numbers for different pumps. Hell even the b16a pumps are different then the gsr pumps.

And also, all type-r’s are obd2 correct? so the pump would have a different shape to it to accomidate the crank sensor, which would mean you would need a different lower timing cover.

:shrug: You make it sound like this is new stuff. We know this already, we are just talking about flow here. The only drastic change in oil pumps is the ITR which has be proven to yeild a 10 psi higher pressure than the rest at idle. The other VTEC pumps flow more, but not as much as the ITR.

And I believe that all the obd 2 B series VTEC motors are running the P72 pump.

obd2 b16 and obd2 b18c have different pumps, the gears inside are of different sizes.

When I worked at Honda, I could have swore that the B16A2 and the B18C1 both supraseeded(sp?) to the P72.

hmm, that could possibly be. I know that when i built an 00 civic si motor, the pump i pulled off that motor was different then the gsr pump, because the owner bought the high volume gears for gsr pump because everyone online told them they were the same. Well they def werent. I had a pump from a 00 gsr and a pump from an 00 civic si and they had different size gears inside of them. I guess they could have changed the part number. that would make sense instead of producing 2 different kinds of pumps.

umm yeah i checked the part or (product) #'s again @ acuraautomotiveparts.org and for the 91 rs they have two oil pump assemblies, (look closely) image 2 and image 3 I believe and the first is 9043 the second 9040 where as the gsr is just 9040. So whatever your smoking is obviously stronger than my stuff. However it would make sense if they had a different spring but i don’t know.

Call acura. The part numbers are different. They are 2 different pumps.

small towns suck if you own imports

anyway I can’t call acura becuase i don’t have their #. The closest one is about 2hrs. away. This thread isn’t really getting anywhere because every one arguing for the vtec pumps just say yes they do while i say prove it then someone comes back and says yes they do becuase vtec is better so then i check the #'s I have access to and find that ONLY the type R pump is different. Even the springs and release valves are the same #. But hey maybe Japan put some samurai magic into the vtec pumps to make them the best of the best. If I spoke japanese i’d call um up and ask them, but sense i don’t i guess i won’t.

ok, I called my old contacts at Honda where I used to work.

99-00 SI
96-01 GSR
97-01 Type R are all 15100-P72-A01

92-95 GSR for whatever reason are the15100-PR3-024 number.

:bow:

ok the first # is #9023 online the second is #9040. I was told the pump design changed in 96 but how or why i don’t know. Anyway to the point if the 92-95 gsr pump is #9040 and so is the ls they should be the same. However i could be wrong. I wouldn’t think they’d be different unless the guys @ aap.org are dillbeans but that could be. So prehaps its the 96+ vtec oil pumps that produce more flow/pressure/whatever. You’d think that with all the people telling others to use vtec pumps they’d have some hard evidence or something.

The difference with the 96+ pumps is; the crank sensor, OBD II has been moved to the water pump from the distributor and the bosses for mounting it are cast onto the face of the pump.

This is 100% correct. End of story.

DB2-R81, you beat me to it.

I quess I’ll just have to take your word for it sense you provided only your opinion, I looked up the springs cause when that was first posted I thought “well if I buy a vtec pump spring than it would be cheaper than buying the whole pump.” However, all the springs have the same product # so how do you know if one has more tension than the other?

You are wrong, all springs are not the same part number.
All 96 and up springs could be the same number because they are the same part. Previous to that, they are different.

I went through the same exercise.

This is a topic that has been covered many times. But, if you still feel the need to waste your own time researching this so you can satisfy yourself, by all means, knock yourself out.

Post back here when you “discover” that what was posted here twice now is correct.

I checked a 91 rs spring it was product #9148, then i looked up a 94 gsr spring it was also #9148 then i looked up a 97 type r it also had the same #9148. but then i looked at the prices and found that they’re all the same price except the type r which is lower :think: so it doesn’t really matter i guess…thinking about it says oil pump assembly but why would the type r be less $

oh actually all the 96+ pumps are the same price same # as well. another interesting fact i just found in the chiltons. In 1990 and 1991 the oil pressure @ 3000rpm was 69-79 in 92 the oil pressure dropped to 50@3000 for all motors b18 and b17. This would explain the two different oil pump assembly choices from 90-91.