anyone ever rebuilt a B17a?

ok-

ok well, im gonna run 93 all the time, and so everyone thinks P30’s would be the best way to go into the b17a? instead of the PR3’s? i dont want too high of compression, this car is gonna be a daily driver and i dont want to have to fix it all the time if it causes problems from too high compression. Even though im gonna run 93 all the time will i have to buy fuel components in order for the car to run good? Such as regulator/rail/ect??
What would be a good estimate for having to tune the car to run good with the following components?
DC headers
Unorthodox crank pulley
Weapon R cold air Intake
Osoku 5-core wires, NGK plugs
P30 Pistons w/ stock B17a rods
CTR Camshafts w/ cam gears
Aftermarket LMA’s (for camshafts)

Am i missing anything?
this wont be too much for a daily driver? i want it to be pretty quick but what kinda problems could i run into? Also, -clutch is stock for now, will upgrade later though- Any suggestions on what other parts or mods should be purchased? thanks everyone.

:shrug:

why 5-core wires?

and the oversize pistons are usually a little cheaper than the normal bore. pr3s were only between $150 and $200 from Honda, don’t remember exactly.

Dave???

i wouldnt use an underdrive pully, if you want ac and ps keep your stock pully, if you dont want either use a ctr crank pully. also when you do your clutch you might wanna get a lightweight flywheel while your at it. this would be the setup you would want. :slight_smile:
b17
-p30 pistons
-supertech or rocket valvetrain :smiley:
-ctr cams
-adj cam gears.
-itr intake mani and tb
-generic short ram intake
-dc 4-1 header. i got a generic one and it didnt even have the right flange on it.
-ngk blue wires and plugs.

thats a nice setup the only thing i would do different is a better header like a nice smsp or dtr …or a JDM DC 4-1 (good bang for your buck) …

part list

oh, naw, these are the parts allready on the car-
DC headers
Unorthodox crank pulley
Weapon R cold air Intake
Osoku 5-core wires, NGK plugs

i was just saying that they would be in the setup with the additional parts, i might switch these later on, but for now they’ll do i think. But the parts that are gonna be added would be-

CTR Camshafts w/ aftermarket valve train
P30 pistons w/ shot peened B17a rods
Adj Cam Gears

And then later on, but not anytime soon-

Aftermarket Fuel Rail
Adjustable Fuel Regulator
Performance clutch
ITR intake Manifold and TB

p.s. Archon- I just put LMA’s for the camshaftd cause i was told to changeout the Lost Motion Assemblies while changing the camshafts, with some dual springs and new retainers.

i wouldnt use those wires even if you have them now. no companies make aftermarket lca’s. you could buy itr lca’s. :shrug:

lMa dude. don’t think he is worrying about his suspension right now.

and is there a difference between a DC 4-1 header and a JDM DC 4-1?

allright, well i can switch the wires no prob, i bought the wires cause the shop in my town has a machine that shows the spark from the wires and out of all the wires, these wires had the largest spark. Compared to Taylor Performance wires the spark was like three times larger. But i dont mind changin them out if u dont recommend em. I can go pick some other ones up, thanks for the input.
p.s. anyone got an idea what tuning would run on the dyno>?
There’s a shop outside of san antonio, but i dont mind drivin a little ways to get it done. I’m guessin more then 400$ for tuning, correct? A guy I know quoted me that for a dyno tune, but i dont really trust the guy around any car. lol anyway just curious i anyone knew. Thanks again everyone I really appreciate all the input. :up:

tuning cost all depends on how bad your car is running vs how good the tuner is and what he’s got to work with… I wouldn’t think with that setup it would take more than 2 hours of tuning with an experienced tech…

up here it about $135 to $160 /hr for dyno tuning

Don’t you mean LMA? :rofl:

thats tight, well the motor gets pulled sometime this week, so we’ll see how everything goes, it may take a while saveup for everything, but we’ll see. Guess i better start shopping now to find the best prices. anyone know some good web sites that sell the complete sets for springs/retainers/vavles.
Also- anyone know where i might be able to pickup a crankshaft for the B17a. On of my journals is scratched past the service limit, i was gonna get a crank kit that came with different bearings after they shavee the journal down, but i kinda would rather just replace the crank. Any suggestions? Thanks again-

ARCHON… you are the only other person here that has posted here that has used he place racing auto-manual mount… how did that work out because the sleeve in my mount is too long and will not fit… was yours the same way? Sorry to go offtopic but place is out of business and I have nowhere else to turn. If you want please email me at rhh4@yahoo.com with more info. Thanks!

Ok, my friends goin off about how i should just get aftermarket pistons instead of honda pistons. he says that i should just go for the aftermarket ones cuz the pistons wont holdup, and they wont last in a daily driver. Anyway, ive always thought he was full of shit, but just curious, anyone here have Honda pistons, prefferebly P30’s or Pr3’s, that have had them for a while now, u see any problems, how often do u drive/race your car? just curious. Laters.
p.s. Also the stock rods, how good do they holdup, for how long? at what extremes? just curious, thanks guys laterz.

how can honda pistons not be good/reliable for a DAILY DRIVER? think about it… :bang:

if you were going full race, i’d say get some ceramic coated race pistons or some shit, but for daily driveability i’d say oem honda is perfect

hey man, neil changed the forum now i cant edit my typo’s after 5 min.
i hear u people talking about jdm dc 4-1 header. are you talking about a jdm itr header?

i guess i was aiming towards, daily driver, as in im going to be driving it everyday, and probably every other day open it up on the street. pretty much getting all up on it. I guess it’d be more, every weekened taking it out and racing it for a couple of hours.
As far as that goes, would the honda pistons hold up very long with the extreme conditions of driving it pretty hard, every other day for that matter.

Actually DC makes a ‘JDM 4-1 Header’ that has a 2.5" collector.

Another question bout the P30’s, they are B16a pistons right? wont they be smaller then the inside of the B17a block? Or do they have to be the oversized ones to fit into the block? And if the inside of the block needs to be bored due to scratches, or wear, will it make it too big for the pistons to fit? even if they are overized?