Saving the DB1

Last year i bought a 92 LS sedan, thanks to Stoopid_1(Tim) for driving me around all day, and to Kuppa(Seth) for finding it on his way home

i picked it up for 500 bucks from some mexican guy who didnt speak any english, rebuilt title due to accident, i got to drive it around for about 3 days then i rearended a Big truck damaging the Passenger side coresupport it looked to be an easy fix but when i removed the bumpers and mushed hood and Hlights i saw the damage from previos owner i didnt see befor i bought the car, at the time i really needed to get the car going so 2 long nights of gathering parts and using my brothers t100 pickup pulled the support out and put it back together, after 4 days of problem free driving i was on my way to pick my son up from daycare and i pushed the clutch down and it didnt come back up took it to my shop and pulled the motor and trans to find the throw out bearing siezed, so not wanting to put a brand new clutch on a 210k+a1 i traded the motor to my friend for his b1(55k) junkyard pull. not liking the fact that my headlights didnt line up correctly and the the front end looked like garbage i sought out to get a new core support and fix it all befor putting her back on the road.

here are some pics of when i first got it

The damage befor i crashed as you can see in the pic it didnt look all to bad it wasnt until i removed everything that i saw the real damage

the MSD wires are off my LS/V in the DA thats why they are sticking out so much, when i first got the DB it ran like ass and sounded like a Subaru, so me and tim figured it was time for a tune up got some NGK wires and plugs and a cap and rotor. found one plug wire was torn threw the msds on for quick fix then put the NGKs on when they arrived next day, didnt like the look of the 92-93 airbox so got a 90-91 from seth threw it on with a K&N filter

The car had a stupid autozone special muffler on it that had to go

if youve noticed the DB had a EF single core Radiator luckily i had a brand new OEM radiator out of my DA when i got the Fluidyne so in it went and probaly 2 or 3 days later it met a hitch in between this i removed the guards in my fogs and bought some PIAA yellow foglights that bit the dust to lol

so i hit up craigslist and a junk yard and got it back to drivable conditions

after a couple of days of having it back on the throw out bearing FAILs so back to the shop

since i got the DA back up and running and my brother gave me his Celica i figured i could do this the right way and make a nice clean reliable DD

First sourced a new B1 from friend

Got the flywheel resurfaced and picked up an exeddy stg1

All the old mounts were toast so i orderd some Innovative steel mounts

the tranny and engine bay were disgusting so i pressure washed um

cleaned up the fenders and painted them semi gloss black

the whole reason i crashed was cause brake failure so to get the stopping power i wanted i got some Axxis pads and Power slot rotors

i didnt wanna deal with to much wiring so i am gonna be using the a1 mani over the b1 and got a plastic gasket, and picked up some longer mani studs thanks to a tip from a fellow g2icer and a friend gave me new Mani nuts

I dont see the want for one of these to fix up, but to one there own. Watched one of these get towed at my appartment because the girl that owned it had no use for it, flat tires and what not. O well, good job, shoot it with paint, lower it and one peices.:wink:

now i needed to find a new front end, the one i orginaly found got crushed 2days befor i got to the yard… but my nieghbor crashed his DA and i got free range on it

pair of BBS RAs

here is the damage from previous owner

cleaned the support and took wiring off Super clean and a Pressure washer kick Ass

now the work begins removed the old support via my buddy joe and his cool Spot weld remover(he didnt want me to break it so he did most the work on that end)

took the new support appart carefuly cause i plan on using the fender rail and pieces from the frame rail

we drilled the spot welds out and cut the top off the frame rail to see how bad it was.

we straigtend it out as best we could and used it as a templet for the new piece i cut more material off the new piece so i had something to play with

you can see how much damage there is to the orignal side

mocking it up

thats about how far we got this weekend gonna get more done this week and weekend

Prepping the Bay for Paint

also got to use my new toy

Painted the heatshields with Hi-temp Semi gloss black

I think its worth saving, i love G2s dont want them to go to waste, im putting the same effort into this as i would my 66 el comino project or how my dad is on his 36 chev

shit man, nice work so far

thanks, sorry the pics are a little on the shat side taken with my Cell, my wife doesnt let me use the Digi while working on my car anymore lol something about greasey oily hands

GO STEVO GO:rockon::rockon:

that pressure washer is like magic!

In for updates to see how it looks when everything is back together

bump for someone from port orchard, i was born there.

gonna work on it tonight after work

thanks for the support, were did you live in port orchard crazyboy?

Very nice work and good job restoring the DA to it’s former DD glory the right way.

off of mile hill i lived on a street, it was south cleveland street i believe. now i live in good ol cali. i still have family there

cool i live in town now

well i got alot of cutting and sizing done today gonna start welding it up tomorow after work, also thought id test the primer out, i like how it looks over semi gloss black so i might just go with the primer dunno yet will see also found Brake fluid in my Booster is this good or bad?? any input on it would be nice thanks

Cut off the old

In with the new, still need to work on the inside piece but it is fixable

i like this color lol

and some prepping for paint done

any input on the brake fluid in booster? i think im gonna pull the master cylinder out of the parts da, didnt get any welding done tonight wanted to spend some time with the family

Damn Mr.O your really digging in. It’s nice to see people doing it right.
Looks like it should be a good DD once your done.
Keep it up.:rockon:

thanks, so for suspension im just gonna get some sk2 struts and race springs -2.5 front and -2.25 rear heard they ride really nice, what do you guys think? anyone ran s2 spring and strut combo?

There is a seal on the back side of the MC, sounds as if its just gone bade. A new MC might not be a bad idea.

Excellent work man, keep it up:up: