Ongoing Scam - "I'll send you $xxxx, can you send me the remaining balance?"

I was recently selling my integra online, and was contacted by a guy name of Jimmy Cole in UK. He offered me my asking price with very little bargain. He said he would pay me with a cashier’s check which will be issued/sent by a business associate of his in the US. He told me that the business associate owes him money in the amount greater than the price of my car and then asked me if I could send him the balance when I get the cashier’s check. Surely, the cashier’s check arrives, but being a paranoid ass that I am, I decide to wait for couple of weeks before I send anything out. I almost sent him the money when, the day after I deposited the cashier’s check, I saw that I have available balance of $9900+. But I decided to hold it anyways, because now that he’s sent me the money he’s not going anywhere if the check is real, and if the check is fake, then I just saved my ass from getting ripped off $6000+.
Surely, about 2 weeks later, BofA withdrew $9900 from my account stating that the deposited item was fraudulent.

If I sent him the money, I would’ve owed the bank the money that I withdrew.

So be aware of this scam.

Ongoing thread in RX-7 Forum(You could read my emails with him in this post):
http://www.rx7club.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=230080

Jay Kim

This is my email with him.

1. Him
I am a reputable business man here in united kingdom(UK) ,i came across your adress on the web and i have interest in your car,so i want to know
the least offer you could go for as per the car.just to let you know that i will handle the shipping myself here in uk because it is cheaper.

2. Me
I have a few people interested at this moment at the current price of
$3500. The price IS negotiable, but I don’t want to state the floor as of
yet. Depending on how fast the funds could be arranged will reflect upon
the final price of the vehicle. Let me know.

Jay Kim

3. Him
Thanks a lot for the mail and the price is now okay by me so this is how we are going to seal this transaction There is an associate of mine in the US who is owing me $9,800 i am going to instruct him to send you a check for that amount,and when it clears your bank you can now send my balance by MONEYGRAMM.The reason why i am doing this is that a check sent from over here in UK would take like 21days or more to clear whereas a check sent within the US would clear almost immediately check.Although i know that the value of the check is more than the price of the item but
i am willing to trust you with my balance So if this offer is acceptable to
you,let me have your contact information so that i can instruct my associate to send you a check,that is your name,address and phone number Please get back to me as soon as soon as you get this mail so that i can know your decision.I am banking on my balance so that i will be able to settle ! ! ! ! my shippers here in there local office because it is cheaper and faster.My regards to the family.
Jimmy Cole.

4. Me
Thanks for the overwhelming trust that you’re putting in me. I appreciate it. Here’s a vouch thread for me on Honda-tech.com: Vouch for Allmotormonster+ - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion and also my seller ID is santa_monica on eBay.com. I will be glad to seal this transaction as per your request. Here is my contact info:

Thanks and let me know.

Jay Kim

5. Him
Thanks for the mail and the address.
I will like you to give me your phone number also for easier communication.
Get back to me ASAP.
Regards.
Jimmy Cole.

6. Me
My cell phone number is (310)xxx-xxxx

Jay Kim

7. Him
Thanks for the mail and the understanding towards this transaction.
I spoke with my associate and he made me understand that the payment will be getting to you before the end of next week.
So be expecting and as soon as the payment is in your possession i will like you to keep me aware so we will be able to proceen with the transaction.
Get back to me as soon as possible.
Regards to you and your family.
Jimmy Cole.

8. Me
Please have your associate contact me directly to let me know when and if he’s sent out the payment for the car yet. Thanks.

Jay Kim

9. Him
How are you doing today?
i spoke with my associate this morning and he made me understand that the payment will be getting to you today so as soon as the payment is in your possession i will like you to wire my balance back to my shipper immediately so they will be able to come for the pickup on time.
This is the name and adddress in which the balance will be sent to;
DAVID LEWIS
12 A CHILTHORNE DRIVE
ALFAFA TERRACE
LONDON.
SEW 4YE
This is my shippers information so i will like my balance to be wired to him so they can come for the pickup on time so as to hasten up this transaction and conclude this transaction on time.
I will like you to go to any of this addresses to go and wire the funds as soon as the check is in your possession.

1.) RALPHS #289
5601 WILSHIRE BLVD
LOS ANGELES, CA 90036
Tel: (323) 936-4954
2.)BIG K MART #7225
6310 W 3RD STREET
LOS ANGELES, CA 90036
Tel: (323) 933-7306
3.)ABI GRAPHICS
171 S FAIRFAX
LOS ANGELES, CA 90036
Tel: (323) 930-0444
I will like you to get back to me as soon as possible to know your decision.
Do not hesitate to remove the WESTERN UNION charges out of my balance
Regards to you and your family.
Jimmy Cole.

Jay Kim

:lol: ive heard about this many times, but never knew what this guy’s motive was. good lookin out :up:

so… what are you gonna do next? email em and tell em you coulda sworn you sent it out… mustve gotten lost. lets talk on teh phone to resolve this matter. then call the cops hah

Hey this happen to me also. I took it to the FBI since I knew it was a scam, and the guy kept sending e-mail after I told him this. Good thing I blocked his e-mail address.

is this stickyable?

I’ll sticky this, but damn it kids, this has been going on for so long now that I thought everyone knew about it. Hell, if you go to any automotive forum, you’ve no doubt read about these scams.

it just doesnt make sense if he lives in the UK
It would probably cost him as much as the value of the car itself for shipping

I had a 1960 MGA that I sold to a guy who was shipping a bunch of cars back to the UK for resale. Most were classic British cars that were hard to find in England. Big demand I guess. I also had a Jaguar advertised in a local newspaper when I got a call from a company that would get me my asking price or more for a $250 fee. I said “sure” and they asked for the routing and account numbers from my checking account. That was the red flag, and I told 'em I wouldn’t do that. They hung up and I called the BBB. Turns out it was a well known scam. With those numbers they can drain your account.

yeah happened to me too but he said his name was andy cole and he said that he was a contracted to buy the car bah bah bah, but then when i told him id would take 2 weeks for the bank to clear the check he got mad and shit and said he had a shipping date already set and all this shit so i juss said fuck it then cancel the check if u cant wait, and he then said no juss send me the money and ill rearrange the date for shippin, i was like fuck dat i have to wait 2 weeks no and if or buts about it and like 3 days later the bank called and said the check was fraud and so i emailed him to tell him and he juss never replied back, so everyone be warn, he could have ripped me off badly if i wouldnt have been thinking right

Originally posted by B17A
I’ll sticky this, but damn it kids, this has been going on for so long now that I thought everyone knew about it. Hell, if you go to any automotive forum, you’ve no doubt read about these scams.

I’ve never seen this before, but would be wise enough to wait for it to clear.

hey all I NEED YOUR HELP.

RECENTLY SCAMMED…$5000 just deducted from my account…wtf…

how do i get myself out of this mess, PLEASE HELP.

File an Investigation report with the bank. It’s better if you go in person so that they can give you all the info of who took the money. Let me know if you need any other advice.

If you have More details it would help???

go to bank tomorrow…find out where money came from…tell them buying / selling situation…tell them where western union money was sent? sound about right.

HAS ANYONE GONE THROUGH THIS AND CAN GIVE ME SOME HELP…

btw…i am in a band…i tour the nation…expect to go to the UK within the next 5 years… (toured japan last december and will go back within the year or so). i WILL find this person. I WILL not stop until he / she is in jail.

well what happen?

Did you cash the check, and sent the money by moneygram?

Let me know because this guy tried to buy some parts of me, and he sent me a check for $4900, and wanted me to send him the rest by money gram. Pretty much as stated above it was a scam so I reported it to the FBI. I still have the check…After I told the guy this he never sent me an e-mail again…errr I wish I can find his ass for trying to pull a scam on me… I would give some whoop asss…:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

cashed check. took out my money. western uniond the rest…a week later i have a $5000 deduction from my account…

#1 Make sure you print all your e-mails, and then go to the bank, and try to get as much information as you can. Also get an investigation started.

#2 File a report with the FBI. Trust me this people can track anyone. Let them know that you been scam, and you need help on trying to track this person down or getting this resolved.

#3 Make a police report. Most police station can track people down if you have a phone number or address.

You can contact the local pd, or where that person sent the mail from.

a lawyer is being contacted today. a friend very up in the chain of usbank is also being contacted…then the us bank where i made my deposits/withdrawals… then all hell breaks loose. i typed up a few page paper last night with everything that happened so the story would be the same everywhere i went. thanks for helping latin_racer…

i need everyones help with this. i need to know any information of anythinga bout this whole operation. Where did the fed ex package come from, what is the name on the check, routing numbers, tracking numbers, ALL OF THAT. any info is better than none. please help me out.

neil if you can, can you sticky this in every forum…my $5000 is at stake…the only way to pay that back is to part my parts and sell my car as a whole for something i didn’t do. please help.

Hey I know how you feel.

I can send you the entire package that I got from this jerk. I still have all my e-mails printed, and all the package materials with the check in there as well.

Let me know if you want me to send you all this stuff. I dont have use for it since I reported it to the fbi already.

This is good evidence by the way. I have every single e-mail that I got. There’s also addresses from the package.

e-mail me at danielm8@yahoo.com, and send me your address, and I can sent you all this tomorrow. I will also give you my number so that you can have me as reference.

fbi is on the way hopefully…csi should be all over this shit, i might take it to the news i dont konw…they’ll probobly laugh at me. you have email. peece
thanks again, you are truly my friend.