oil light on but theres oil on the stick need help

my car sat all day i just turned it on an the oil light turned on so i turned it off an checked the dip stick an it was full of oil so i drove it for an hour to see if it would go away an it didnt so i checked the stick again an it was still full should i start getting worried or should i ignor it??? what do you guys think is the problem?

if u can… try n see if the wire to the oil pressure sensor is actually hooked up. if it is, try wiggling it a lil bit. then next, u might wanna check n try diagnosing whether the oil pressure sensor is actually working or not. the wire that goes to the switch is yellow/red. considering the light is on and solid it doesn’t mean its critical. but know that u need to figure out what is going on asap.

curious, i always gotta ask this when its something like this. but what type of oil filter do u have?

Iirc, the constant oil light doesn’t necessarily mean you need oil. It’s a sudden loss of oil pressure. The oil light is controlled by the icu (someone correct me if I’m wrong here). Mine’s been on for like 2 months, but the pressure/amount of oil is fine. Just my .02.

u are right about the oil light is an oil pressure indicator NOT an oil level low warning light. if its straight on and not flashing, then it means ur oil pressure has an issue. if it is flashing then u have very low oil pressure and u should stop driving and tow it to a shop to get it check.

there is a possibility that it can be a malfunctioning oil pressure switch, or it could be a short in the wiring, or it can be a malfunction in the cluster. either way… your oil pressure levels SHOULD BE CHECKED. and veronious, if ur oil pressure is ok, then u just need to check on the wiring or the switch.

i had a typo up there

but if it is flashing, not just randomly flickering, then u need to get ur motor checked asap. if its randomly flickering here n there, and isn’t flashing in a sequence, then u have a short somewhere along the circuit.

NO! if it flashes THEN you have a low oil pressure. i know cause mine flashes and thats what my manual says. i think i have faulty wiring or somthing.

here is all what the problem could be

bad oil pump
bad sensor
plugged up oil sump screen
faulty opsu/ bad connection
bad bearings

wrong nick.

i know b/c when my first engine failed due to an oil pressure problem, it was a solid light.

that light indicates pressure has dropped below 5psi.

first things first . … check the sensor or change the sensor for a new one. htey are cheap.

[QUOTE=///Nick;2040740]here is all what the problem could be

bad oil pump – the engine would have died a long time before the light came on.
bad sensor – yes
plugged up oil sump screen – could actually increase the pressure, and also though possible this is unlikely.
faulty opsu/ bad connection – yes
bad bearings – not indicated by the light. the light tells you about the oil pressure. bearings can be bad and you not get a light[/QUOTE]

added text above.

well, i dont really know. thats just what my manual says. of course then it says to contact the dealership.

lol.

well the owner’s manual can only tell u so much. getting a helms manual can tell u a lot more.

go to the jyard and grab the sensor …it sucks that u got to get underneath the car but other then that its easy to get to its just a 21mm socket correct me if im wrong pull it out then try it in ur car. if you dont feel like ur car is losing power and u say that ur oil is straight then its a short or the sensor took a crap

it went away after 2 days kind of wierd but it hasnt came back on

an the oil filter i am using is fram

yea, i dont think it really matters too much. i used a mobil 1 now i have a fram too. of course im using 10w40 with a little lucas oil treatment.-only cause i dont know much about the history of my motor and how good a condition it is in.

go change your oil and stop using lucas products.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

my old car had the light intermitantly come on and off. It would be very dim but on and sometimes it would come on and flash constantly. If this happened i would shut the car off, turn it back on and it would go away. I always thought it was bad connection within the plug of the wire to the sensor but was never really sure.

I spun a bearing in my first motor and the light had been doing that ever since. It was going on 3 years. Since the spun bearing i swapped the motor for a jdm b18b then a year later went ls/vtec. Guess that would mean faulty wiring?

i dont think the oil light would come on for messed up bearings. i say its an electrical problem. because mine doesnt come on at a certain time, it just… kinda… well, i cant describe it.

[QUOTE=icemanGSR;2043973]go change your oil and stop using lucas products.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm[/QUOTE]

I agree with that point. However, a clogged pickup screen could definitely cause a drop in oil pressure, not an increase. A clogged screen could starve the pump of oil, resulting in a loss of pressure downstream of the pump. Also, excessive bearing clearances will result in a loss of pressure, so a “bad” (i.e. worn) bearing could indeed be a contributing factor.

And I would think that a worn oil pump would definitely cause a drop in oil pressure as well. Logic would indicate that a catastrophic failure of the pump would lead to immediate and noticeable consequences, but it is possible that the pump clearances aren’t correct and the oil pressure is low as a result. That is, it may still be supplying oil, just not at the proper pressure.

As for the filter choice, there have been documented cases of failure with Frams that lead to oil starvation. That said, I have used Fram in the past without any problems, but now use Wix exclusively.

[QUOTE=GoGreen;2044088]
As for the filter choice, there have been documented cases of failure with Frams that lead to oil starvation. That said, I have used Fram in the past without any problems, but now use Wix exclusively.[/QUOTE]

yes that is very true. some ppl will get literally ZERO oil pressure after performing an oil change and using a fram oil filter. obviously its not common or else fram would recall their stuff, but its happened more than enough. and i’ve had the unfortunate pleasure of fixing a car that had this issue. student’s car came in cuz of a flashing oil light, we hooked up a gauge n stuff, car had zero oil pressure, and he just did the oil change that day. had the issue and drove it to school so we can take a look. found no issues from just inspecting the motor, highly doubted but u never know. the sensor was tested and was found to be functioning, the cluster was tested as well, no issues. so we said screw it and changed the oil again. had him buy an stp oil filter, went ahead and drained and filled it… no more check engine light. it sucked cuz we spent annoying amounts of time pulling stuff out for his cluster, tested the sensor no luck, to find out it was just the oil filter was defective. just by looking at it we saw nothing wrong after we pulled it out. had to cut it open tho to see it.

[QUOTE=ls/vtecstitch;2043977]
I spun a bearing in my first motor and the light had been doing that ever since. It was going on 3 years. Since the spun bearing i swapped the motor for a jdm b18b then a year later went ls/vtec. Guess that would mean faulty wiring?[/QUOTE]

u do know that if u ignore ur oil pressure u will probably spin a bearing right? and yes an oil light could come on for messed up bearings… cuz if u spun a bearing, ur oil pressure would be affected since the motor would be getting improper oil thru the gallies and such.

and for u to be using mobil 1 oil with a fram oil filter… damn man thats cheap. good quality oil with a crappy oil filter… at least get a wix, stp, oem Honda oil filter.

personally i use HAMP oil filters.

yea, it was a crappy filter, i swaped it for a fram. and no i dont have a spun bearing. my motor sounds very healthy, if anything, i need a little valve adjustment. my friend has a 3rd gen prelude and he spun a bearing and you could hear that thing clank inside the motor!