anyone have proof a vtec oil pump flows more?

I did a little searching and found a lot of people say to use a vtec oil pump when doing ls/vtec or as an upgrade for a turbo. Well i found no proof that the vtec oil pump is superior so i went to acuraautomotiveparts.org and found that a 91 rs oil pump had the same number and price as a 94 gsr oil pump. So i am a little comfused here and would like to see proof that vtec oil pumps are better. If this is a repeat post i appologize i did search and didn’t find anything so i decided to post.

it’s commonly thought that it’s the oil pump flow that helps with high rpm’s, but i think it’s a combination of the oil squirters and the superior strength of the vtec block vs the non vtec. but if someone can prove me wrong that’s cool :bow:

yeah thats pretty much what i thought. so in a non vtec using a vtec oil pump is basically a way for somone on ebay to overcharge you for an oil pump. hmmm

possibly. but according to many people an itr pump is actually better. like i said, i really can’t say due to no personaly experience.

well for one thing isnt there supposed to be a different amount of teeth on the gears between Vtec and non Vtec water pumps?

i don’t know but water pumps don’t pump oil from what i know. Anyway i’d like to get more people in here to find the truth cause i’d hate to think people are spending more on the SAME part, when they could use that money to fight the war on mitsubishi.

vtec oil pumps create a higher pressure. So yes they flow more. This is because in order for VTEC to work, you must maintain a certain oil pressure.

vtec kicks in at a certain rpm, right? If you’re accelerating than the oil pump will be working harder and therefore increasing oil pressure. What i am looking for is someone who has a flow chart or something from honda that explains it. I WANT PROOF. Because the oil pump assembly had the same part #'s for the rs/ls and the gsr both 94 and 92-93.

my bad, I should have said that Im talking about the Type R oil pump. Yes all the other ones flow pretty much the same. And VTEC kicks in at a certain rpm, ONLY when the proper pressure is maintained. Good luck finding a flow chart tho. If you dont believe engine builders, then do what you want.

i believe the type R vtec oil pump has more teeth on the actual gear itself

cool so unless it’s an :bowdown: “R” than it doesn’t matter. Thats good to know. I’m sure Honda pulled out all the stops on the R, I mean who can argue against a 210hp 1.8l four cylinder that revs past 8k?

umm not to get off subject, but if anyone looking knows about the whole making the ls head flow better with mitsubishi valves let me know because i am thinking about trying it. I don’t really like mitsubishis but the 4G63 valves would already be able to handle turbo heat and who wouldn’t want a better flowing ls?

my only reply would be to find a dyno read out and compare it to a non-vtec.???this is one of those thing that us enthusiast are caught between, which is(having money or spending money wisely).

hahaha yea iono why i was thinking water pump… sorry

I have a built motor (B18a w/non vtec head) with 3000 miles on it, i blew up my tranny so i pulled out the motor and replaced the tranny. While it was out, i replaced the brand new stock oil pump i had put on when i built the motor with a 1994 gsr pump. I gained 10lbs of pressure at idle. I didnt change anything else in the motor. Just pulled the pan and changed the pump. Same Oil type and everything. So yes, the vtec pump def does flow more and/or has a higher pressure.

vtec

vtec kicks if you have the right:

1. engine RPM
  2. vehicle speed
  3. engine temp (won’t run if engine is not at nominal temp)

the computer makes a decision based on these.
then, the vtec solenoid activates, and oil pressure pushes the little vtec piston so the rockers for vtec are locked in…something like that…happens at about 5900 RPM on stock ECUs. some people get vtec controllers so they can have vtec engage at a lower RPM. I have seen a dyno where they gained lots of power from 4900 to 5900 when they engaged vtec earlier…something like 10 HP on a B16A.

the vtec blocks have a jet which sprayts oil, also activated by oil pressure, of 28 psi or greater…this is a great little device…
otherwise, go read about vtec in the helms manual…it is quite extensive.

actually #2 is wrong. Speed is not an issue with VTEC. The lowest speed would be 1st gear at 5600rpm (stock ecu) right? Its not possible to have VTEC kick in sooner because thats only like 22mph or so, and it kicks in. The car cant be any slower at that rpm because its 1st gear.

maybe…

i still think i might be right. vtec won’t engage, i am pretty sure, if you just rev up to 5900 rpm sitting still in thegarage without any wheel movement. the test for vtec in the manual is to get to 7000rpm or something in 1st and just stay there…

really none of that had anything to do with the oil pump kicking out more pressure. I have to agree with preston since he mentioned all the oil pumps are the same except they type R. Also have to agree with part #'s just my way of thinking.

you are right

yea
:read:
:whip:
props to you, are you a editor?