swapping a 93 gsr b17 motor to a 90 ls b18

ey guys, am just curious if a 93 b17 gsr motor, would fit in a 90 ls bay, cuz i heard the b18a1’s and a2’s are not worth putting after market parts, into because they are weakest honda b series ever made. and how much would it take if the b17 does fit. thanks… :slight_smile:

you know its funny people are such misinformed. b18s are strong motors. there is no b18a2 to my knowledge, the gsr motor goes right in. you need vtec ps mounts tho.

you should do some heavy research before you decide what you’re going to do. like morgan just said, ls motors are strong torquey motors if you do the right things. and parts are cheap is the great thing, most shit is half the cost of any vtec part, the only downfall being that the ls motor has limited capability if you’re going for all motor power. as far as i know i’m the only person in my area that has done an ls motor and not an ls or b20vtec instead, and i walk slightly modded gsr’s all day long. and that’s with only 148 whp and 121 ft lbs. its the torque that beats vtec motors. personally though, i think the best mod you can do to those motors is a b16 tranny. like i said, just do some research and you’ll find some interesting things.

this guy is the man with the ls’s. =) how you been? no paint pix? fly me in and ill paint. =)

eh, not too bad. it hasn’t snowed yet, so i guess i can’t complain. and no, still no paint, all the money i get i somehow dump into the motor before i remember that i have to paint the damn thing :squint:

swapping a 93 gsr b17 motor to a 90 ls b18 Reply to Thread

so i don’t really need to do an engine swap, i just want me car to be faster than stock and would still pass smog cuz i was just reading the about turbo and it says that the car won’t really pass smog anymore with a turbo. so does that go for superchargers to. just so i can represent g2is better.

swapping for a gsr motor really isn’t going to make it much faster, everyone underestimates the ls. i’m not familiar with smog as i live in a state that has less population than most of the cities people on this site live in, so i really don’t know what you can safely modify but still pass with. i would assume with the right tuning you could do some decent cams and some p30 pistons and still pass. and you could do a b16 tranny for sure as that does nothing with the actual motor, just higher gearing for better acceleration.

only supercharger available is vortech, it costs more than a 1.9L vtec motor for goodness sake. you got a few options depending how much money you have.
good mods:
short geared tranny
nitrous + better tuning(wideband o2, egt, + chip burner)
cams and headwork

i like to do mods to clean up the bay too…they dont give much hp at all but it makes it easier to work and looks 5x better
skunk2, or 94-95 rs/ls/gs intake manifold
bored gsr, type r, or spoon throttle body
cai
header + test pipe

The ultimate LS motor set-up
-Pr3 pistons w/ rings
-ARP rod blots
-blueprint bottom end
-ITR oil pump
-OE headgasket
-Crower 403 cams
-Crower valvesprings
-ITR retainers
-ITR valves
-street port
-three-angle valvejob
-Jun camgears
-obd-0-obd-1 conversion
-RC 240cc injectors
-Hondata ECU
-Dynotime
-OE gaskets and timing belt kit
-CTR enduro crank pulley
-skunk 2 Intake manifold
-Jun 4-1 header -or- ITR 4-1 header
-BBK throttle body

:think:

there are higher compression pistons than the pr3, and more powerful cams than the 403s

yeah, you can hardly call the above setup the “ultimate” Quite frankly there are just too many options out there for one to be the “ultimate”, especially when brand names often do not matter, and when tuning is crucial…

whiteacurateg: I’m not going to say whether an engine swap, stock engine rebuild, or simply modifying your stock engine is best. YOu need to do a lot more research to figure that out. Budget, reliablility, downtime, how long you want the process to take, whether you want it all at once, or over a period of time…etc…etc… will determine which is best for you. But I will say that the b17a is probably not your best option. They’re not only hard to find but usually have pretty high miles on them. Usually there are better options than a b17a.

NO NEED FOR OBD1 Conversion this is an LS. ITR oil pump is made for high rpm and is not needed or wanted. rod bolt’s are not needed. stock integra’s use 245cc injectors, why would you go with smaller injectors? hondata is a waste of money, he’s not reving to 9k and has no reason to use a 4-1 header.

I own a b17, and I will tell you its all bling. I run a B18C1 in my car for now.
A b17 would still be fun with a p72(94-up) gsr head, skunk2 intake manifold, spoon tb. =)

Yea, but this has a decent idle, streetable compression (more streetable than PCTs), Obd-1 for tuneability reasons. Hondata for pefect tuning. Can be a total sleeper.

pct’s are a bit much, but still fun. you here the idle just as much with 403’s. 404’s just give ya a bit more power. turboedit is much easier than hondata. shit the obd1 conversion alone is more work than tuning the car obd0. zdyne makes a setup very similar to hondata for obd0 cars too.

It would be even better w/ the stock or itr head, ctr pistons, light flywheel, good clutch, ctr (or better) cams, itr intake manifold and TB…oh and tuning w/ hondata :drool:

I know that my b17a w/ only p30 pistons and a light flywheel was awesome. A good deal more fun than stock, and really only had 2 mods as well as a rebuild.

weak. when i gut it to build my 1.7L b16, i am making it 1.9L. tech43 82mm pistons. but it is getting a p72 head no matter what. the only reason the b16 is getting a b16 head is because its a “stock” motor, and the b16 heads are so cheap. the b16 is b17 crank/rods, us itr pistons.

82mm? thats not gonna bump you up to 1.9 liters. Is your only reason for using the p72 the extra compression?

82x89=1880…roughly 1.9L
p72 has better intake runners and combustion chambers.

I run 81.25 PCT pistons in my LS with colt race cams on 94 octane. Not my daily driver, but perfectly streetable.

Oh, I didn’t see that you were also going to be stroking the motor…

As for the p72 head… do you have any links to where you found info that the intake runners and combustion chambers are better than the pr3? I have always heard people saying the exact opposite. Just seems like if the p72 is better, then honda’s top of the line b series motors (R motors) would have the p72 not the pr3. But if that is not the case, please, enlightent me :-*