YS1 with S80LSD Diff

HI does the JDM 1996 Type R diff fit into a JDM short geared YS1 box?

I heard all the internals fit and someone in the members profile says they have.

I need to know asap cause i can get a s80 LSD done 60,000k for 1100N.Z dollars
thats 600 U.S :stuck_out_tongue:

then i can get a single spinner out of a hydro box and put it in the S80 and sell that off as a s80 single spinner

Yes, with modifications. $600US for the whole S80 tranny or just the differential?

ok what modifications just die grinding out the housing a bit??

yes whole tranny done 60k, 4.4 box though not the 4.785

I found that they have a different diametre where the bearings go so u need to put it on a lathe which requires taking the diff apart and its VERY tricky

so i dunno if this is possible now???
any help

Replace the carrier bearings with 92-93 differential carrier bearings. That’s what I do. The only other thing you need to do is grind a bit off the casing and switch over the entire S80 gearing and maybe put a bigger thrust shim under the carrier bearings (check clearance).

ok do i have to change over all the gearing?
cause this is a 4.4 diff and so is my ys1
is just spent 900 rebuilding my YS1 and i also wanted to on sell the s80 gearbox minus the LSD

ok i got the s80 LSD gearbox i am about to pull it apart, cause i still don’t think the LSD will fit my YS1 box, ill see soon though.

I pulled the box last night, seems that it doesn’t look like a helical LSD.
it has 14 bolts on the crown wheel.
does anyone know how to tell between helical and a clutch type LSD?

sorry to thread jack but for a ITR LSD does this reguire any mods to put it into a 92-93 gs-r tranny …or will it fit right in?

This is what my ITR or CTR LSD looks like:

what tranny are you or will you be running that in …and are there any modifications involved in installing it?

cheer archon, my LSD is definatly a clutch type

ill see if it fits today

Any LSD made for a hydro tranny should fit a YS1 case. Some just require more grinding than others :bow:

cheers for the info, here is a pic of my LSD
]

90% sure it will fit now, jst have to figure out how to not damage my brand new bearings on the non lsd when pulling them off
bearing pullers won’t fit under the lip of the bearing to get to the centre :frowning:

cool thanks for the info …

hmmmm??? what’s the deal with the OBX LSD?? if anybody has been paying attnetion to any threads on HT. that thing is tough!!! some guy on there put it to the test with about 435 HP and it held up, even shattered his 3rd gear, and fits our tranny’s without modding it. just my .02

oh yeah, it’s a helical type LSD too

umm how much are these?
anyone got any idea how to pull my bearings without damaging them?

RedInteg:
Did you email me about how to go about making room in the casing for your diff?

Either way, the path to least resistenance is in a set of pry bars. Place two bars, on opposite sides of the bearing (i.e. one at 12 o’clock and one at 6 o’clock) and then push down reeeeeaaaal hard. Because the diff casing is machined where the bearings sit there shouldnt be much resistenance while you back them out. Oh, make sure you wear a pair of gloves with some padding to them in the knuckles. When the bearings decide to let go, they can catch you off guard with how fast they “GO!”
J.

There only $350-$400 and has lifetime warranty. compare that to a quaife or Kaaz $850-$950.