1992 gsr b-17

what internals should i go with on a turbo setup for the b-17? im new to the whole turbo world and just trying to figure out what i need to do to turbo my car… trying to keep it cheap… give me some ideas

Nothing at all. That’s def the cheapest solution.

what are your power goals?

i wanna get at least 300whp but at the most 350 i dunno for sure just lookin for some ideas

first do a leak down and cp test. it can be done on a stock block but i would atleast get arp rod bolts and head studs and a good tune

300whp can be done 350 is pushing it

im tearing the engine completely down and rebuilding replacing all seals and bearings and pistons… i spun a rod bearing is the reason for the rebuild

anyone else have any suggestions?

i think your better off to get a b18 block. as far as i know theres no choice in rods for the b17.

the piston choices are the same. 81mm bore.

if you spun a rod bearing, you’re going to be checking the crank yes? i would not use it, but that’s just me.

the cheapest solution imho, would be to just get some forged pistons, arp rod/main/head bolts/studs, new rings, and new seals/pumps/etc. stock rods are fine IF they aren’t damanged by the bearings spinning.

I would suggest that you go .25 or .40 over on the block to make sure your bore is stright and round.
The b17 rods are great but I wouldn’t count on them being reliable at 300-350 whp however, the stock pistons would do just fine at that whp level if you maintain the stock b17 low compresstion ratio.
Being that you spun a bearing, you should think about geting the block line bored and the crank checked, ballanced and micro polished.
-ronie.

[QUOTE=db2;2033336]I would suggest that you go .25 or .40 over on the block to make sure your bore is stright and round.
The b17 rods are great but I wouldn’t count on them being reliable at 300-350 whp however, the stock pistons would do just fine at that whp level if you maintain the stock b17 low compresstion ratio.
Being that you spun a bearing, you should think about geting the block line bored and the crank checked, ballanced and micro polished.
-ronie.[/QUOTE]

Stock pistons will be fine on lower boost, they’re 9.6:1 stock CR which is decent for boost, i’d keep it 10 PSI or under though. Thatll save you some money on pistons. A completely stock rebuild, with maybe some GSR cams and a better intake manifold and a decent little turbo setup on 10 psi with a good tune, and youi should easily see 300. My all stock B17 made 241 on 6psi UNTUNED. and it was bone ass stock with 450cc injectors with a VAFC running it a little rich. I took all that crap off the car immediatly since i bought it like that and the guy had JUST put it on the car 1100 miles before i bought it.

B17’s already come with gsr cams.

I meant from a B18C1 or something of that nature, they’re not the same are they?

b16/17/18 all use 81mm bore, and im sure theres quite a few options for pistons for all these motors, why wouldn’t there be for the b17? …

yeah i noticed that i meant the rods. sorry for the confusion.

np lol :stuck_out_tongue:

stock b17 compression ratio is 9.7:1.

stock block turbo honda bseries engines are making 300whp + all over the country. it’s not an issue. upgrade the rod bolts.

pistons should be switched to a forged unit, tehy have deeper valve reliefs and would allow for larger and high compression valves with less issue, as well as allow a larger camshaft to be used. woudl also allow for more timing adjustments.

no one has ever checked for sure but it is speculated that b17 and b18c1 camshafts are the same, as power gains when installed into stock b16s are the same. differences may be small enough to compare to the differences between the 97 itr cams and the 01 itr cams.

so basically what i should do is have the crank turned and trued/ balanced and drop in some forged pistons and arp head bolts with a cometic head gasket and boost it to around 10lbs?

im just new to the whole turbo setup and trying something small for now and i dont really have to much knowledge on the b17 in fact didnt even know there was a b17 till i bought this car

don’t forget arp rod bolts. and i would ditch the cometic headgasket for a stock one.

i boosted 300whp at 18psi on my stock b18a1 for a little while. so with that done you shouldn’t have to many problems.