WTF!?!?!? Why dont 6.5's fit???

This is REALLY fucking pissing me off now. I just bought my third pair of god damn 6.5’s and they still wont fit in my fucking car!!! WTF?? Everyone tells me 6.5" will fit my car. So I bought some MB Quart 6.5’s and they wont fit in the front doors or the rear pillars. I was told by someone that MB Quart makes a ‘oversized’ 6.5" and thats why they wouldnt fit. So I went ahead and bought some CDT 6.5’s that I was assured were not oversized and guess what, they are. :mad: So I figure all the good brands must be oversized or something and bought a cheapo set of Pioneers, and what a shocker, they dont fit either.

Seriously, I just wanted to buy some fucking speakers for my car. Why dont any of these 6.5" speakers seem to fit in our cars when we are supposed to fit 6.5" in our cars?? All I want to do is put new speakers in my car, not cut it all up. There is absolutely no way a 6.5" speaker is fitting in the rear pillar without hacking it up. So what gives?? Why is this so fucking difficult??

shoulda bought 6" :shrug:

How are they not fitting? If the doors are not deep enough to take the speakers (which was the case on mine) I had to pick up a placer that mounts to the door and then the speaker mounts on the pacer. If the raidus of the speakers are to large dont really know what to tell ya. Either way say what tpye of problem your haveing more then the speakers are over sized. Hope you can get it figured out. Late.

The diameter of the speaker is too big for the holes. The only ones that come close are my CDT’s which will still not fit in the rear without cutting but they will fit in the front door speaker holes if I take out the black plastic thing. But I will still have to fabricate some sort of ring for the speaker if I want a good seal since the door is not 100% flat all away around the speaker.

I was just mostly venting after discovering my third set of 6.5’s still wont fit without modifications to the car. It doesnt make sense to me that 6.5’s are suppose to fit our cars but I cant seem to find any that do.

do what i did.
just take that round black plastic thing that the speaker sits in, and cut the back off :shrug:

That’s really weird Brian. I have Infinity Kappa 6.5" and they fit fine. I just had to remove the basket like the other guys said. And for the rear it required no modification at all. Maybe all these new speakers being manufactured are being made to fit newer model cars? But I don’t know why they would change that.

I have 6.5" Polk Audio dx6’s all around and they fit fine. I had to cut out the holder in the doors so the magnet would fit, but thats it.

how i have 5 1/4 pioneers and they barely line up to the holes strange

Well I have 200W Pioneers all around and they didn’t fit right. Minor modification and they fit.

Only SOME 6.5’s will fit in the stock locations w/o modification. If you’ve looked on crutchfield this would have been pretty obvious. The main reason is the depth in the front, but there are other reasons w/ different brands/models…etc…

I currently running cdt 6.5’s front and rear. The front is easy to install, and thats even considering that the cdt’s I have are HUGE for 6.5’s. All I did was remove the rubber cap from the magnet, then cut a piece of 5/8" or 3/4" (forget which size) mdf into a ring. Remove the stock plastic basket/mounting ring and replace it w/ the mdf ring. Now the speaker clears the door glass, the door panel, and fits nice in place.

The rears are a bit more of a pita. I cut out some of the stock mounting area and then mounted the speaker from the bottom so that it wouldn’t sit up too high.

If you’re gonna run the cdt’s (I’m running the cl-61a in the front, and the cl-6x in the rear) I would suggest running 6.5’s in the front and 5.25’s in the rear. That way the rears should just drop in, and the fronts will fit w/ a little bit of work.

I got some 100w 6.5 pioneers at best buy. Installed them all in under an hour with no modification. Cost me like $40 for the speakers i think.

I have JBL 6.5’s all around in mine. Had to modify the front plastic peice to fit depth wise, but other than that had no problems mounting them.

I have CDT 6.5s in the rear (cl-6x) they were maybe a quarter of an inch too large around, so I just set them on top of the mount and ran the screws in on a slight angle.

My Quantum front woofers were not even close to fitting in any dimension, so I have an MDF ring on there now.

Do you have a pic of how your cl-6x’s are mounted in the rear??? I just installed my MB Quart 6.5’s in the front doors. I just said ‘fuck it’ and busted out the tin snips and cut my doors and made some nice MDF mounting rings for them. I’m now going to mount my CDT’s in the rear and would like to see how you did it. I dont like the idea of just screwing screws in crooked to get it to fit so I would like to know how you mounted it from the bottom. It is important to me that I have a good seal all around the speaker when its mounted, it makes a big difference in sound. Thanks.

not sure if his way or my way is better.

I made a template of the speaker. Then cut out the necessary amount so that the rubber surround would not hit the plastic. Then drilled holes in the correct locations and screwed it in place. The thing I really don’t like about the way they are mounted is that they are a pita to install/remove. You can’t just unscrew them from the top like normal. you have to pull back the side lining and get at them from underneath (actually I installed the whole bracket w/ the speaker already installed…my interior was gutted at the time).

I’d say if you can get it to work from the top, do it. I just don’t remember that being a feasible option when I was installing mine. But maybe I just wasnt’ thinking hard enough.

I have Polk Audio DB650’s 6.5" as my interior speakers and they fit perfectly.

Dont Forget To Cut Out The Black Plastic Cup Behind The Stock Speaker Cause If You Dont Do That No Aftermarket Speaker With A Magnet Bigger Than Stock Will Fit

w/ some speakers (e.g. the cdt’s I have) you can’t use teh stock speaker basket even if you cut the back off. The opening is just too small.

You don’t need a seal around the speaker if it isn’t going into a box, just make sure it sits flat so you don’t tweak the basket.

i got MB Quart Component Q series 6.5 for mah rear, they dont fit but i just force them in lolz.