Readme

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTF!?!?!? Why dont 6.5's fit???

Collapse
X

WTF!?!?!? Why dont 6.5's fit???

Collapse
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    WTF!?!?!? Why dont 6.5's fit???

    This is REALLY fucking pissing me off now. I just bought my third pair of god damn 6.5's and they still wont fit in my fucking car!!!!! WTF?? Everyone tells me 6.5" will fit my car. So I bought some MB Quart 6.5's and they wont fit in the front doors or the rear pillars. I was told by someone that MB Quart makes a 'oversized' 6.5" and thats why they wouldnt fit. So I went ahead and bought some CDT 6.5's that I was assured were not oversized and guess what, they are. So I figure all the good brands must be oversized or something and bought a cheapo set of Pioneers, and what a shocker, they dont fit either.

    Seriously, I just wanted to buy some fucking speakers for my car. Why dont any of these 6.5" speakers seem to fit in our cars when we are supposed to fit 6.5" in our cars?? All I want to do is put new speakers in my car, not cut it all up. There is absolutely no way a 6.5" speaker is fitting in the rear pillar without hacking it up. So what gives?? Why is this so fucking difficult??

    #2
    shoulda bought 6"

    Comment


      #3
      How are they not fitting? If the doors are not deep enough to take the speakers (which was the case on mine) I had to pick up a placer that mounts to the door and then the speaker mounts on the pacer. If the raidus of the speakers are to large dont really know what to tell ya. Either way say what tpye of problem your haveing more then the speakers are over sized. Hope you can get it figured out. Late.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by kamui
        How are they not fitting? If the doors are not deep enough to take the speakers (which was the case on mine) I had to pick up a placer that mounts to the door and then the speaker mounts on the pacer. If the raidus of the speakers are to large dont really know what to tell ya. Either way say what tpye of problem your haveing more then the speakers are over sized. Hope you can get it figured out. Late.
        The diameter of the speaker is too big for the holes. The only ones that come close are my CDT's which will still not fit in the rear without cutting but they will fit in the front door speaker holes if I take out the black plastic thing. But I will still have to fabricate some sort of ring for the speaker if I want a good seal since the door is not 100% flat all away around the speaker.

        I was just mostly venting after discovering my third set of 6.5's still wont fit without modifications to the car. It doesnt make sense to me that 6.5's are suppose to fit our cars but I cant seem to find any that do.

        Comment


          #5
          do what i did.
          just take that round black plastic thing that the speaker sits in, and cut the back off

          Comment


            #6
            That's really weird Brian. I have Infinity Kappa 6.5" and they fit fine. I just had to remove the basket like the other guys said. And for the rear it required no modification at all. Maybe all these new speakers being manufactured are being made to fit newer model cars? But I don't know why they would change that.

            Comment


            • #7
              I have 6.5" Polk Audio dx6's all around and they fit fine. I had to cut out the holder in the doors so the magnet would fit, but thats it.

              Comment


                #8
                how i have 5 1/4 pioneers and they barely line up to the holes strange

                Comment


                  #9
                  Well I have 200W Pioneers all around and they didn't fit right. Minor modification and they fit.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Only SOME 6.5's will fit in the stock locations w/o modification. If you've looked on crutchfield this would have been pretty obvious. The main reason is the depth in the front, but there are other reasons w/ different brands/models...etc..

                    I currently running cdt 6.5's front and rear. The front is easy to install, and thats even considering that the cdt's I have are HUGE for 6.5's. All I did was remove the rubber cap from the magnet, then cut a piece of 5/8" or 3/4" (forget which size) mdf into a ring. Remove the stock plastic basket/mounting ring and replace it w/ the mdf ring. Now the speaker clears the door glass, the door panel, and fits nice in place.

                    The rears are a bit more of a pita. I cut out some of the stock mounting area and then mounted the speaker from the bottom so that it wouldn't sit up too high.

                    If you're gonna run the cdt's (I'm running the cl-61a in the front, and the cl-6x in the rear) I would suggest running 6.5's in the front and 5.25's in the rear. That way the rears should just drop in, and the fronts will fit w/ a little bit of work.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I got some 100w 6.5 pioneers at best buy. Installed them all in under an hour with no modification. Cost me like $40 for the speakers i think.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I have JBL 6.5's all around in mine. Had to modify the front plastic peice to fit depth wise, but other than that had no problems mounting them.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I have CDT 6.5s in the rear (cl-6x) they were maybe a quarter of an inch too large around, so I just set them on top of the mount and ran the screws in on a slight angle.

                          My Quantum front woofers were not even close to fitting in any dimension, so I have an MDF ring on there now.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Colin
                            Only SOME 6.5's will fit in the stock locations w/o modification. If you've looked on crutchfield this would have been pretty obvious. The main reason is the depth in the front, but there are other reasons w/ different brands/models...etc..

                            I currently running cdt 6.5's front and rear. The front is easy to install, and thats even considering that the cdt's I have are HUGE for 6.5's. All I did was remove the rubber cap from the magnet, then cut a piece of 5/8" or 3/4" (forget which size) mdf into a ring. Remove the stock plastic basket/mounting ring and replace it w/ the mdf ring. Now the speaker clears the door glass, the door panel, and fits nice in place.

                            The rears are a bit more of a pita. I cut out some of the stock mounting area and then mounted the speaker from the bottom so that it wouldn't sit up too high.

                            If you're gonna run the cdt's (I'm running the cl-61a in the front, and the cl-6x in the rear) I would suggest running 6.5's in the front and 5.25's in the rear. That way the rears should just drop in, and the fronts will fit w/ a little bit of work.
                            Do you have a pic of how your cl-6x's are mounted in the rear??? I just installed my MB Quart 6.5's in the front doors. I just said 'fuck it' and busted out the tin snips and cut my doors and made some nice MDF mounting rings for them. I'm now going to mount my CDT's in the rear and would like to see how you did it. I dont like the idea of just screwing screws in crooked to get it to fit so I would like to know how you mounted it from the bottom. It is important to me that I have a good seal all around the speaker when its mounted, it makes a big difference in sound. Thanks.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Brian Hunter
                              Do you have a pic of how your cl-6x's are mounted in the rear??? I just installed my MB Quart 6.5's in the front doors. I just said 'fuck it' and busted out the tin snips and cut my doors and made some nice MDF mounting rings for them. I'm now going to mount my CDT's in the rear and would like to see how you did it. I dont like the idea of just screwing screws in crooked to get it to fit so I would like to know how you mounted it from the bottom. It is important to me that I have a good seal all around the speaker when its mounted, it makes a big difference in sound. Thanks.
                              not sure if his way or my way is better.

                              I made a template of the speaker. Then cut out the necessary amount so that the rubber surround would not hit the plastic. Then drilled holes in the correct locations and screwed it in place. The thing I really don't like about the way they are mounted is that they are a pita to install/remove. You can't just unscrew them from the top like normal. you have to pull back the side lining and get at them from underneath (actually I installed the whole bracket w/ the speaker already installed.....my interior was gutted at the time).

                              I'd say if you can get it to work from the top, do it. I just don't remember that being a feasible option when I was installing mine. But maybe I just wasnt' thinking hard enough.

                              Comment


                                #16
                                I have Polk Audio DB650's 6.5" as my interior speakers and they fit perfectly.

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  Dont Forget To Cut Out The Black Plastic Cup Behind The Stock Speaker Cause If You Dont Do That No Aftermarket Speaker With A Magnet Bigger Than Stock Will Fit

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    Originally posted by TypeR+DA
                                    Dont Forget To Cut Out The Black Plastic Cup Behind The Stock Speaker Cause If You Dont Do That No Aftermarket Speaker With A Magnet Bigger Than Stock Will Fit
                                    w/ some speakers (e.g. the cdt's I have) you can't use teh stock speaker basket even if you cut the back off. The opening is just too small.

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      You don't need a seal around the speaker if it isn't going into a box, just make sure it sits flat so you don't tweak the basket.

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        Originally posted by Brian Hunter
                                        This is REALLY fucking pissing me off now. I just bought my third pair of god damn 6.5's and they still wont fit in my fucking car!!!!! WTF?? Everyone tells me 6.5" will fit my car. So I bought some MB Quart 6.5's and they wont fit in the front doors or the rear pillars. I was told by someone that MB Quart makes a 'oversized' 6.5" and thats why they wouldnt fit. So I went ahead and bought some CDT 6.5's that I was assured were not oversized and guess what, they are. So I figure all the good brands must be oversized or something and bought a cheapo set of Pioneers, and what a shocker, they dont fit either.

                                        Seriously, I just wanted to buy some fucking speakers for my car. Why dont any of these 6.5" speakers seem to fit in our cars when we are supposed to fit 6.5" in our cars?? All I want to do is put new speakers in my car, not cut it all up. There is absolutely no way a 6.5" speaker is fitting in the rear pillar without hacking it up. So what gives?? Why is this so fucking difficult??

                                        i got MB Quart Component Q series 6.5 for mah rear, they dont fit but i just force them in lolz.

                                        Comment


                                          #21
                                          i have 63.5i kappa's, and like neil said, you have to cut the basket.

                                          Comment


                                            #22
                                            no, just take the dum stock basket out...

                                            Use the adapter that came with those Kappas to adapt to a 3-bolt pattern. Infinity's will fit in the front perfectly...

                                            Comment


                                              #23
                                              Originally posted by noahrexion
                                              no, just take the dum stock basket out...

                                              Use the adapter that came with those Kappas to adapt to a 3-bolt pattern. Infinity's will fit in the front perfectly...
                                              They may fit, but not perfectly There are 3 things you have to remember when mounting a speaker, skip any one of them, the speaker will not work as well as it can.
                                              1- the speaker must be mounted to a flat surface.

                                              2- the speaker needs an airtight seal between the front and rear of the speaker for a distance of, the diameter of the speaker, from the outside edge of the speaker all the way around, [ or as close as you can get to an airtight seal ] eg. a 6.5" speaker should be sitting in the middle of a 19.5" surface that air can not pass through, [ no I don't mean a 19.5" flat surface] and the closer to the speaker the more important it is that its airtight.

                                              3- MASS....... The more mass the speaker is mounted to the better it will sound, and so far, no one has found anything better then wood to use for that mass, [ a speaker mounted to wood will always sound better then a speaker mounted to anything else, (mass being equel)].

                                              The speaker that fits most Hondas is a standerd 6.5" slim line, the stock speaker that comes with the car is a standerd 6.5" slim line, if you want a speaker that will fit without mods, take the OEM speaker or the OEM speaker housing with you when you shop for new speakers, or at the very least measure the mounting depth and mounting diameter of the stock speaker :p

                                              That all said, its not that hard to make a custom speaker housing so you can fit the speakers you have, and get the best possible sound out of them, this is a true- isem, a properly mounted smaller cheeper speaker will always outperform an improperly mounted bigger more expensive speaker.

                                              The most important part of the custom speaker housing is its base, [ the part that is going to mount to the door, useing the OEM housing as a template, cut the back off the OEM housing, flush with the mounting flange, trace the shape, including the 4 mounting holes and the speaker hole onto a piece of 1/4" MDF, useing 3 1/2" screws, screw 2 1/4" pieses of MDF together, one with the tracing and another one, so when you cut and sand into shape you make 2 exactly the same, put the screws inside the speaker hole that you will cut out later, cut and sand to shape, drill out the 4 mounting holes, [1/8 drill bit] then cut out the speaker hole, [ don't forget the hole you cut out, only has to be a little bigger then the speakers magnet, not as big as the stock speakers mounting diameter that you traced] also don't forget when the plates come apart open them like a book, so you have one that is a mirror image of the other mark them as left and right.
                                              To get the airtight seal you will have to countersink the mounting holes FROM THE BACK about 1/16" to allow for the hight of the plastic screw inserts in the door, mount the plates, measure the depth you have from the glass to the outside of the plate, subtract 1/8" [for clearence] measure mounting depth of speaker, subtract what you already have to the front of the mounting plate, you now have the thickness of the depth reduceing ring that you need to make, it will have an outside diameter the same as the speaker, a little bigger will not hurt , but not so big that it covers the mounting holes, the inside diameter will be the speakers mounting diameter, center and glue the rings to the mounting plate, water proof the housings, [fiberglass resin works very well] install some Dynomat, [or the like] on the door where the housings go, cut out the hole, [use the cutout directly behind the speaker inside the door] mount the housing, mount the speaker, you have it all FLAT, AIRTIGHT, MASS, WOOD the speakers will sound great. 94

                                              Comment


                                                #24
                                                I got Alpine 6 1/2 all around. Took the ones i had for the front back and the guy said i had to cut the basket and the would fit after screwing them to the basket itself. And they work and sound great.

                                                Comment


                                                  #25
                                                  i have alpine 61/2 compnent too but they are too high, i had to cut the plastic factory grill. Look nice now cause we can see them in the doors but i have a sealing problem, ill make a deep closed cavity for summer so it will sound even better

                                                  Comment

                                                  Working...
                                                  X