90-91 taillight restoration

A common mod back in the day was to fill your tail lights with a degreaser and water to wash out the pink stripes and make the reverse and turn signal area all white. this can also happen via sun damage and leaking taillight gasket. some people may not like this look and or just want them to look oem again. i picked up a set of pink and red xSi JDM tail lights that eventually faded again so here is my way to restore them. Simply sand the tail light with 600 grit, degrease then mask off around the lense. then get some 2k clear and mix in a few drops of either red paint or red dye, then clear the tail light until you get the desired level of pinkness.

after 1 coat

after 2 coats

about this dark is how i went, this will last a long time and if you change your mind you can just sand the clear off. hope this helps, i know theres alot of white tail lights out there

1 Like

Looking good!!

1 Like

(Moved to Teg Tips)

Mine have grey lines, but I did that back in 2003 or something by taking apart the lens.

What you’re suggesting is mixing your own paint though. What setup do you have?

1 Like

30gallon compressor, some harbor freight spray guns nothing crazy

I swear after the $3k quote for paint — it makes me wanna give painting a shot :-/

1 Like

I’m going to give you my super secret truck to making the pink lines white: California’s most awesome. The regular yellow one. Used to use it back in the day. Works much better than very hot water.

1 Like

I did the opposite, went from white back to pink

Oops, totally didn’t pay attention. My mistake.

1 Like