Who had to drill a hole in there shock tower after they adjusted their camber?

I haven’t taken temps across the tire. I did my first track day this past friday, and haven’t gotten to the point where I’m getting that technical yet, thusfar I’ve just tinkered w/ tire pressures. With my current setup I had to run pretty high tire pressures to prevent the sidewall from rolling over. Obviously sidewall stiffness has its part in this as well.

With how I drive my tires are wearing evenly, maybe even a little more on the outside edge…but pretty darn even. And thats just normal street driving. I would like to start doing more track events and pushing the car harder, and I know some more neg camber wouldn’t hurt.

is there an optimal neg camber and toe setting for autoX and raod racing …i know there is for drag …i have them saved somewhere so i can try them out on my project DA once i get the camber kit and see if it makes a different like everyone says …

Yes, there is an optimal setting, but it will vary from tire to tire and car to car, depending on the rest of the setup. If you want to find the optimal settings, you will need to use a pyrometer and measure the temperatures across each tire, you are looking for them to increase slightly from outside to inside. They should also be related tire to tire, I’m sure there are online guides, I have a book here to refer to.

yea i want to read up more on this …whats the name of the book that you have?

the optimal camber varies track to track too, and possibly even run to run/lap to lap. A guy I autox with has one of those laser temp guages and I always steal it from him and temp everything. One run the outside-inside temps will vary like 5deg, then the next they will be the same, then the next the left tire’s inside will be like 10-15deg hotter than the inside on the other one, etc.

Ben

The book I have is “High Performance Handling Handbook” by Don Alexander, MBI publishing Company.

Auto-x can be hard to try and get useful temp data from, because the use of the brakes can throw excess heat into the wheels and tires, fronts especially. Also depends on what maneuvers you were doing prior to checking temp, etc.

Yeah, I know. The tires get warmed up quite a bit on the road course autox events, though, and we dont have much driving to do before we park after the runs. I could definately tell where I needed less or more camber.

Ben

cool thanks …im going to search for that book …

Well YEAH, the guy who installed my springs didn’t brought the right one…asshole :bawl: Should I had installed them myself I would have made researches and brought the right ones. But its ok since I had to change my upper balljoint anyway.

Yeah I know negative camber is good, not too much tho. My alignement shop told me they adjusted my camber close to zero but not exactly at zero, like a -1 which is exactly what I wanted.

yeah, even at -1 you’re within stock specs. Seems a bit surprising, but the stock specs are supposed to be 0 +/- 1 deg. I was sorta surprised when I saw that, lol.

oh…

doh!!!