tranny question ***pleeez help***

bump

well so i plan on going with the ys1 casing and using my ls diff. i plan on doing it this weekend if all goes well. i will keep those of u who are interested posted. thanx for ur guyz’z help

One thing to keep in mind… replace all the pins, clips, etc in your LS diff when you swap it. A pin in the diff tends to crack when abused (speed shifting, dumping the clutch, etc), which is what causes the entire casing to split open.

and for those who care… replacing one synchro vs replacing all of them costs about the same, as many tranny shops order them as a complete set anyway. Many shops also charge a flat rate for labor no matter what has to be done (Eagle Transmission in D/FW is like that… $485 flat rate for a manual no matter what’s wrong internally, plus parts, when I had my Civic tranny rebuilt from a bad input shaft bearing + damaged input shaft + worn synchros… came out to about $1100 with a brand new clutch and 1 drive axle replaced)

maybe I’m confused (it would be nice if you didn’t say “LS” because that doesn’t tell us what year the trans is… and thats what is important).

Correct me if I’m wrong, but you have

1. ys1 case (no internals)
  2. j1 tranny w/ bad diff and bad case
  3. stock 90-91 ls tranny w/ a grinding 3rd gear (this should be an a1 or s1 tranny)

If those are the parts you have… you CANNOT use your ys1 case. You do not have a set of internals that will fit the ys1 case. Your j1 is 89-91, your stock ls tranny is 90-91… and thus you have all 89-91 tranny internals. And those parts will not fit into a ys1 case. If you want to use the ys1 case you will need 92+ b series internals.

If the stock “LS” tranny on your car is a 92-93, and thus a ys1. Then you still don’t have what you need. You couldn’t use any of the j1 internals in that case.

colin-ur right with naming what i have. and a shop said that it is doable. charging me 125 to do the job installed. but thats a homie hookup price. and yes, i have a 90 LS transmission, and the j1 is off a 90-91 integra. i told them all this at the shop and he said i could use the ys1 case. if it duznt work out, then ill post it on here as a trial and error i guess. but if it duz work, ill be a happy kid. for the record…turkey bowl …i kicked ass today and im feeling the effevts already :owned: by the damn mudd. till next time, ill keep u informed

Well, have them try it if you want… but its not going to work. If you’ve ever taken these different transmissions apart you would know that you can’t swap a complete set of internals. Shaft diameters are different, shift fork design (and how they’re mounted) is different, and there may be other differences as well. Personally, if I was you and I got a “working” tranny back from that shop in which they used the ys1 case and 90-91 internals, I would not trust that tranny. The parts are not supposed to fit together. And if they made them fit…I’d be weary of how they made them fit.

To me it seems like a much better idea to just see if you can swap differentials. Us your stock 90-91 case, j1 main and counter shafts, then your stock differential. I think that might work, but I’m not sure. Whereas I am sure that the other idea isn’t going to work.

im double thinking it now.

it’s a little off topic, but i didn’t want to start a new thread.

Will a s1 tranny’s shift fork be repairable by swapping in a del sol’s (vtec) shift fork? How do you go about fixing these jdm tranniesparts wise?

no, you cannot use the del sol’s tranny parts. as was already stated, 89-91 and 92+ b series internals are different…

You’ll need 89-91 internals. However I cannot confirm that ALL 89-91 b series tranny shift forks will swap in. Sorry, I just haven’t had enough experience :frowning:

DA Naut,
Well, it will all go together but I’ve also seen some problems with JDM gears in USDM casings. I guess the inner dimensions of the USDM and JDM casings are slightly different which can cause some problems. I’ve performed this swap off in the past but it was for a drag car and because it only goes through the gears two or three times an outing I wouldnt be comfortable saying it works with no problems. In general, if someone has access to a YS1 casing I direct them to it because parts for it are so readily available.

So, in summary, yes you can do it but I’m not sure of the long term repercusions. If you have the funds to put together a set of gears for the YS1 I would direct you that way instead.
J.

i am working on a deal to get a complete ys1 tranny all together and just put that on my car. , hope it all goes well. thanx for ur help