Short shifter help

crazyfastda9, my comment wasn’t pointed towards you but towards the shop that gave you that information. now why would the SS only damage our cars, we share the same shift linkage as the DC2 chassis? point is a shifter is controlled by the driver and not vice versa.

and i totally agree with you in that if someone thinks that buying a SS will make you shift faster than they have been watching F&F way too much.

i personally bought it because i wanted shorter throws not a shorter height shifter. cutting your stock shifter and putting a weighted knob will not give you the same throws as my skunk2, because the difference is in the length of the shaft from below the ball of the shifter. mines is longer and hence my throws are shorter (only 30% shorter but still shorter). hell my SS is the same height as my oem shifter.

i tried the trick of moving from second to first etc… didn’t work for me… i went to 2nd and went to 1st, it couldn’t go in the 1st… so i did what i used to do, engage the clutch and release it few times, and it goes back in 1st… usually the first time will work, when i engage, release, engage the clutch

as for the topic, i dont think cutting the shift will be the same as a SS… I did that to mine, and i noticed no difference, except the shifter is now lower in height

if it would be the same thing, then why would they sell SS, everybody should just cut their shifter :hmm:

bobyoo, do all your other gears shift fine? if so then your synchro might be going bad.

yes all my other gears are fine…

one thing i noticed, is that sometimes when i shift into 2nd or 3rd, i feel on my hand a little grind noise… but i believe is normal

yeah old synchros. i would just make sure you change tranny oil every year and not beat too hard on it. but the minute it starts really grinding regularly when shifting, its time to rebuild it or find another tranny to swap in.

really, hmm haven’t change the oil since i bought it (2 years), and the previous owner, i would say, he didn’t do it either … is it easy to change the oil on these car?

i hope you understand what i mean by grinding, i mean like when i shift from 1st to 2nd, i press the clutch, then shift to 2nd, when shifting got in 2nd, i feel in my hand like some kinda noise (shiirk or sometime cloukk), when i hear this noise, i haven’t release the clutch yet…
it is not really a noise that you can hear, but you feel it on your hand

i thought it was normal, like in all the racing movies, when you see the guy shift and you hear a click noise in every gear that they shift…

:hmm:

yeah i understand your meaning of grinding but you will know what i mean by grinding when you hear it(loud gear grinding noise that can be heard from outside the car, like when you misshift).

tranny oil isn’t that hard. basically you jack up the front of the car, make sure it’s level. pull off your passenger side wheel. you’ll see the fill hole bolt and the drain hole bolt on the tranny. remove the fill hole bolt, then the drain bolt and drain the fluid into a pan, bucket, etc. put the drain bolt back on (make sure to get new crush washers, refill the tranny with whatever tranny fluid you want (honda mtl, gm synchromesh friction modified, etc). filling is the hard part, you can either get a funnel with a long hose and fill from the top or get a hand pump top for the fluid bottles and pump away. fill it up to just before it starts to leak out the drain hole (thats why you have to make sure your car is level). some people actually lower the driverside a little so to get more fluid in but i doubt its that necessary.

you should change the fluid asap. if yo can’t do it yourself, most oil change places or auto repair shops can do it for you.

thanks for your help

i would assume it is the same procedure for a gsr

yes same procedure for all our cars trannies.

oh you have a gsr too, take care of it! is it black? :drool:

no it is red… i love black one, i have seen two of them where i live :cool: