Oil Change Guide

if you still haven’t done it and want pics here you go.

it’s for a g3, but it’s practically the same ish.

OIL CHANGE

i use a little rubber jar opener that we got free in the mail to take my oil filters off or my mechanix gloves, just turn it enough to beak the seal then take my glove off and do the rest bare handed. if you can’t turn it by hand it is too tight!

yes it is a 17mm wrench for the drain plug. gotta do Jenelle’s oil this weekend, did mine 2 weeks ago.

why is my drain plug 11/16 maybe thats why my drain plug leaks? i need to get the right drain plug from honda. but the bolt says 14mm from honda you guys sure its 17mm?

as much as i can remember i always use a 17mm socket for my drain plug :shrug:

look

hmm i use the same socket for both car, 90LS & 92GSR. ill let you know on monday after i change oil.

ok i hope its 14mm

the head could be a different size if its an aftermarket replacement. as long as the bolt diameter and thread pitch is right there shouldn’t be a problem but yeah matt i will definately let you know. you do replace the washer everytime you change oil right?

yes i buy honda oil filter from honda so it comes with the crush washer so yes i change it everytime and i torque the bolt down to 30ish like the manual says

http://catalog.acurapartswholesale.com/?year=1992&make=AC&search_button.x=43&search_button.y=24

choose the GSR > engine mechanical > oil drainplug gasket > Oil Drain Plug Gasket for engine oil drain 14MM (its the same part# for all the 90-93)

i wonder if when they list 14mm its the diameter of the plug not the size of the head. it makes sense because when you go to a hardware store to look for a bolt you get the diameter of the bolt and there are different types of heads ie. phillips, slotted or hex. just a thought.

yeah i guess so then

ill still let you know on monday anyway. im gonna be under the car so might as well :slight_smile:

i hate getting under the car now, dont you?

i just pray that while im down there i don’t find anything wrong. but yeah its getting harder to get under and get back up as i get older, at 28 im just not a young pup anymore.

i need a lift!!!

haha, where did you guys get 17mm from?? from the guide I posted??? Maybe it’s cuz the car they did the change on is a DC…

thats why i hate looking under the car now because im afraid ill find something wrong :down: i found i have a tore cv boot from my last oil change :frowning:

I believe mine was 17mm last time I changed my oil. I remember I was surprized it wasn’t a 14 or 15mm at the time. lol

changed jenelle’s oil yesterday, it was a 17mm.

also decided to try an oem filter from acura on her car, i usually use k&n filters, and i must say it freaked me out when the parts guy gave me the filter. i had to rush home and do a search on G2ic to make sure i had the right filter, this thing is skinny and long!

i must say i really hate changing the oil filter on an LS compared to my GSR, the oil cooler makes the filter stick out further and its easier to change on the GSR.

then the horror began of looking from underneath and hoping not to find anything wrong and to my luck i saw a drip of coolant from where the water pump is located above and was like :bang: , looks like the water pump is starting to go. bleh, we’ve already decided to trade in the car and get jenelle a new one. its got 193k, a bad axle, maybe 1 good trailing arm in the rear, needs a new cat, new windshield (thanks to some punk ass kids on an overpass a few weeks ago) and now a new water pump and timing belt. it barely passed smog last year, i think its time to get her a brand new car! the DB1 has served us well and is still a work horse :bow: it will be sad to see her go but i dont thing we could afford to have 3 cars (even though i would love to rebuild it as a project car) and save up for a house.