Ode to the Build...

from what i understood, people have tried silicone and it doesnt last.

i think i would get the replacement plastic and foam, and silicone for extra protection… wey carpet and potential blower motor failure isnt something id want to deal with, if it can be avoided.

lucky me, i park on an incline, so all the water avoids the blower motor parts and drains directly onto my floor. all the trunk water pools where it can be sponged up, but i plan on fixing that as well.

I’m probably going to seal it off all together. I no longer have a blower motor or any actualy aside form the ECU and some relays.

The latest of the updates.

But I have a question. What the hell do you do with the coolant passages on the motor once you delete the heater core?

It’s coming along pretty quick man :rockon:
As for the coolant hoses, you just loop those

[QUOTE=mrpenny;2056430]It’s coming along pretty quick man :rockon:
As for the coolant hoses, you just loop those[/QUOTE]

Thank you. And thanks for the info on the hoses. Lol I would be further but I’m married.

And a little info update I have decided not to weld the holes in the bay. My dad and I were talking and we decided that they were put there for a reason. Welding them up would defeat that purpose. But the caulking is being shaved and the bay will be primered to rid it of all the little imperfections. Plugs for the firewall so on and so forth. Any suggestions on this stuff guys?

Just a little bit of an update. May not look like I’ve done much but believe me I have. Just waiting on my ES rear trailing arm bushings to put the rear suspension back together. And I’ve got to remember to snap some pics of my Wicked Tuning rear camber and Toe kits. All I really need to do now is install my coilovers.

Oh and theres a few pics I forgot to load ealier on.

More stuff I never posted. My Wicked Tuning Camber and Toe kits. Camber kits are bolted to the Chasse but still waiting on my rear trailing arm bushings to put it back together.

And I also re-ran my hood release cable.

Looks like you got yourself a hell of a nice build going. Can’t wait until how it turns out.

Why thank you sir. Kind words are major motivation for me. Lol I need as much as I can get, this thing feels like it’s taking forever. But she is my first build and I have this nagging urge to do it right the first time ya know?

Welding should be done by the end of this week as well as the wire tuck. Picked out a paint the other day too. House of Kolors is all I’m gonna say, well that and Candy Apple. It’s getting closer and closer.

But I need some opinions. I was thinking today that since the new paint and old are so much different, should I gut the car completely and paint everything? Or leave the interior the way it is since everything is getting bolted back in anyway?

Nothing wrong with red-on-red, right? Is this going to be a show car?

BTW,… nice build. I’m impressed with your attention-to-detail, I myself tend to take the “if it works, it’s a wrap” approach - but I think you will have nice results… And I’m envious you have the ways-and-means to do your own welding :sipread:

What is a wire-tuck and why would you do it?

Why did you remove the heater core? Don’t you have winters…

Finally, did you re-route the hood cable inside the engine bay… I assume to make it harder for would-be hooligans to pop the hood?

Cool project, looks like it’s off to a good start! I would’ve gotten the other “ebay one pieces”, I have them and they don’t look as ricey…

I also had those Motegis a few sets of wheels ago, lol. Mine were white and not as new as yours. In fact I didn’t even know they were supposed to say Motegi around the lug nuts like that! Not a bad deal at all! This is what mine looked like about 2 years ago.

I traded wheels about every 6 months until I got some Konig Holes, I love them so I’m good for a while :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll be watching your progress for sure!

[QUOTE=sloppysleeper;2060236]Nothing wrong with red-on-red, right? Is this going to be a show car?

BTW,… nice build. I’m impressed with your attention-to-detail, I myself tend to take the “if it works, it’s a wrap” approach - but I think you will have nice results… And I’m envious you have the ways-and-means to do your own welding :sipread:

What is a wire-tuck and why would you do it?

Why did you remove the heater core? Don’t you have winters…

Finally, did you re-route the hood cable inside the engine bay… I assume to make it harder for would-be hooligans to pop the hood?[/QUOTE]

It will see a few shows but, she’s not being built for them. More or less I am building her for me. I guess that’s the only reason I can think of.

A wire tuck is hiding your wiring harness out of site. It just makes everything look better, and the bay is so much cleaner. Run a search and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Initially I pulled the heater core because I needed good access to the inside firewall for the harness, but I think I may just leave it out. The car will only be drivin in the summer so it’s not really all that necessary. But I’m still considering putting it back in for the defroster.

And I ran the cable through the fender paneling. It’s actually hollow there so the cable is pretty easy to get through, and you guessed it. Before all a thief had to do was pull the plastic down in the wheel well to grab the cable but now they have virtually no access. After all the time and work going into this I want to make sure I try my hardest to deter a theft. And thank you very much for the kind words. And I’m just a bit finicky about having to redo my work, so I try to tackle as best I can the first time trough, otherwise it may never get done lol.

[QUOTE=BacardiBreezer;2060252]Cool project, looks like it’s off to a good start! I would’ve gotten the other “ebay one pieces”, I have them and they don’t look as ricey…

I also had those Motegis a few sets of wheels ago, lol. Mine were white and not as new as yours. In fact I didn’t even know they were supposed to say Motegi around the lug nuts like that! Not a bad deal at all! This is what mine looked like about 2 years ago.

I traded wheels about every 6 months until I got some Konig Holes, I love them so I’m good for a while :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll be watching your progress for sure![/QUOTE]

Lol yeah I know. At the time when I bought them I was like “OOOH Halos” and I was pretty happy with them for a little bit after the install. But now I have moved on to bigger and better things. I think once I’m at the point (probably the last piece) I’m going to order brand new JDM l1 pieces. Now if only I could find someone to buy these!?!?!?

I don’t mind these rims but they just aren’t what I want ya know? I mean they are something for now and for what I paid I’ll keep them for a bit. I’m going to have them blasted and recoated shortly so that there are no imperfections. It will help with the sale so I can buy the rims I want too so yeah. BUt they really aren’t all that bad, I just have this thing for matching body lines.

And thanks for the words sir. Can’t wait to get you guys the next update.

yeah ive been watching your build keep up the good work bud

Thank you. I can’t wait till I can drive it again. Lol I miss it.

yeah its been about a year since i drove the db, and the longest i didnt drive my da since i was working on it was about a year and a couple months

That shit starts to get to you. It’s been about 16 months since I’ve been able to drive the DA. It motivates me to keep going but at the same time it’s kind of depressing.

You’ll get there. I’m a huge fan of shaved/tucked engine bays. It makes it look so much better. and also, i would paint the inside hatch where the spare goes but not all of the inside since it wont be a total show car and will have all the interior pieces. good luck.

I love the shaved bays too. Haven’t seen a complete one in a DA yet. I wish my buddy would hurry up and come weld this so i can keep moving. Unfortuneately I have to wait on him to go any further. But yeah when it actualy does get painted the spare well is getting painted too. Lol especialy since I pulled the carpet out cause it was stained and had a slightly funky smell.

Well it’s been a while since I last updated the thread. Haven’t really done anything but heres a piece I forgot about from a while ago.