My Tranny Situation-INPUT NEEDED

uh, do you mean a 90-91 ls tranny? or do you mean a ys1 tranny? ys1 was only available in 92-93.

So $2700 for a rebuilt ys1 w/ a quaife…that doesn’t sound bad. Figure a quaife alone is $900 or so, so thats $1800 for a rebuilt ys1… not a steal, but not bad either if all the parts are new and includes labor…etc…etc…

Another option you could consider would be like you mentioned, using hydro gears. You can pickup itr trannies for $1000-$1500 depending on year/mileage/condition/luck… Then some labor to swap cases if you already have a ys1 case (unless you can do it yourself). At that point you may have better gearing, depending on which gearset you prefer, and which itr trans you’re using. And you’ll have an itr lsd instead of a quaife. But the itr lsd could be sold for $300-$400 if you wanted to sell it and buy a quaife instead…

So you definitely have options. which is best? well, thats tough. It sorta depends on what deals you can come across, and what gears you actually want. I’ve been looking into tranny options recently. Basically i’ve found out that there are many options, and all of the good ones are expensive :frowning:

i dont care what you have i want something for me fag

gearspeed or the frank i said before
btw im doin…
ys1 gsr tranny, itr lsd and final, and fresh synchros. who needs a highway gear neways.
colin i think hes got a 92?

his profile says he has a 91 :wink:

Colin: great post. awesome input

kraze+colin: frank tranny isnt in my league; lot of running around and researching that I dont feel like doing

i think ive misunderstood tranny markings on our cars. I thought they made three different ys1 trannys.

90-91 YS1: RS, LS, GS (long geared, small splined)
92-93 YS1: RS, LS, GS (long geared, big spline)
92-93 YS1: GSR (short geared, big spline)

Err… y1 and s1 are jdm trannys right? Maybe list all the cable trannys that fit on bseries motors (usdm+jdm) i thought they were ys1s’, s1, and y1? What Im forgetting?

(PLEASE CORRECT ME IF THIS INFO IS WRONG; WHAT TRANNYS COME ON 90-93 TEGS TRIM WISE)

Im starting to wonder if Im wrong. I swear I remember people saying the only way to tell if it was a gsr ys1 was to count the teeth on one of parts?

Anyhow here is a cut/paste post I made on ht about this same subject, again to help not just me but other tranny fans out there.

GoodNight all.

the ys1 is out of the question

gearspeed told me that they can make gears or order me gears that are at least close to what my Y1 was.

i figure if its 2700 without a core, ill just let them build me a new y1 with similar gear ratios and then sell the OEM oh so rare y1 lsd tranny i have.

im not worried about saving cash on the lsd; i was told oem lsd doesnt hold past 225+whp. it sounds like horse shit to me but a quaife lsd and stock oem lsd are TWO complete different types of lsd from what ive been told/read

i think im just going to beat the fuck out of the y1 for now and then when the time comes fork out the 2700 and hope either 1) gear speed has a better deal 2) there are new and better 88-91 cable tranny upgrades.

I thought about it and how much is a new typer tranny (even thought it wouldnt work) arent they like 1700? 1000 more and your getting a better lsd plus carbon coated syncros… id say 2700 is a far deal from gear speed.

:expressionless:

i forget which are short and which are long. j1 is short i know, i think some y1 are short some are long, s1 is prolly short.

this guy is nuts. y1 isnt bad, but ys1 is much better because there are more parts available to you including the better 5th gear from the 94 ls tranny and itr lsd/final gear. with the 90-91 trannies you cant use any of the 3.
last i checked for 2650, gearspeed will completely rebuild your tranny adding itr final, quaife lsd, and new synchros. this means you still need a short geared ys1 core.

don’t forget, some USDM 90-91s had the A1 long-geared trans.

[SIZE=2]Small Shaft (89-91):a1, s1, j1, y1 [/SIZE]

• a1’s only have the taller gearset
  • y1’s only have the shorter gears and were from jdm civic’s or crx’s (not sure which, or if its both), they were also available with an lsd
  • s1’s I believe come with both tall and short gears, just depends on what car they came out of
  • j1’s I believe only come w/ short gears (could be wrong about this)

[SIZE=2]Large Shaft (92+): all 92-93 b series cable transmissions are labelled “ys1”[/SIZE]

• b18a equipped integras came w/ the taller gearset ys1
  • b17a equipped integras came w/ the shorter gearset ys1
  • b16a equipped integras came w/ the shorter gearset ys1 and an option lsd

nick has a large shaft? :shrug:

Well Collin that was a good post, but Im very still unsure what LS tranny I have then. I know I have a 90-91 small shaft LS tranny and a 88-81 jdm y1 w/lsd tranny that Im going to go ahead and just use till it blows up and then sell that to buy a gear speed one. (buy the first tranny the first time not a second time.)

On another note: I finished all the final work today before the install of the motor Ive had assemebled for almost 8 Months now:
-motor all together (clutch, flywheel, tranny, intake manifold, the FULL RACE xmember, yadda yadda)
-all i need to do is put the motor in the car (tomorrow hopefully) then wire up the obd0-obd1 wires, buy and install new vaccuum and coolant lines and find out how to position the radiator since i got a delsol one.

Kraze will finally be happy that i get this shit in my car.

Anyhow hope all goes well, wish me luck

good luck dude :up:

i’ll be happy when i see good compression test numbers. i would see if they have any short ys1 cores to go with the stage 2 build for you. it’s not like your pockets are dry or anything. hows the arm movement anyways?

yeah a ys1 would be nice

the arm movement is great, i gain about a degree in motion in certain areas every pt visist