Ls/vtec compression results, questions info etc

bump, help a G2 member find a problem

SOUND CLIP OF VALVETRAIN NOISE

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2qzh9/carsound.wav

Did you adjust the valves? If not, I would try that. Also, if you did, you waited for them to cool off, right?

doing valve seals hopefully this weekend, probably will adjust them then since the cams have to come out.

no point in doing it twice in a weeks time.

gotcha, do that and let us know.

ttt

i readjusted the valves, same noise. I did the screw driver trick(screw driver to ear) i couldnt pin point it. Sometimes it sounds right next to the dizzy, other times it sounds around the IM. Im gonna jack the car up tomorrow and start it and get under it and listen…

My injectors make some noise but i highly doubt this is them, distributor is also a possibilty. Anything i could take off and check? Head is basicly getting tore down for valve seals…how can i check the lma’s? bent valves?

I dont want to really start buying stuff to replace and not fix the sound. Im concerned, i really hoped it was just valve adjustment problem.

Could this be a gas problem? I threw some octane booster in my 93 just to try, no effect. I almost wanna go to my normal gas station and fill up. Timing was set but not with a timing light, but i tried adjusting the dizzy before and it didnt go away.

for the distributor …on my girls crx it would make a similar noise not all the time but sometimes …and my friend told me to take off the cover and is there is like brown dust it means the rotor is going …you never know that could be the problem …HTH …good luck …

gonna inspect the dizzy tomorrow, probably pull it off and check the bearing. Then get under the car and listen around for that sound

opps i meant to say bearing …but yea …check it out and let us know …

took the dizzy off today, some play in the end shaft side to side. Rotor has no play inside.
Got under the car and listened, sounds either under the IM or above(head). Sunday i think im gonna take the cams and stuff out, possibly pull the entire head off.

Im running out of ideas, i filled the tank up with 93 and drove it around for about 10miles. Valves sound louder to me, but it could all be in my head. Ill check my adjustments over sunday before i take it all apart. My injectors are pretty loud, but i dont think this is them…I may take the head off and take to a machineist to eye ball.

car runs strong, its hard to drive it normal…haha always want to get on it. ah well heres to $$$

Well i pulled the #4 wire with the car running and the sound goes away.

bingo :\

so, did you fix it yet?

well since it goes away when i pull the #4 wire, its gonna be in the bottom end…wheither its bearing, piston or sleeve ill find out tomorrow :frowning:

sorry! Maybe thats why you got it for the prpice you did.

#4 cylinder, #1 also has a line copper line in it.

rebuild bottom end project has now started. :frowning:

you should be happy now its time to go bigger and better :rockon:

i just went bigger and better less then a month ago

well then even bigger than that lol

B20Z short block in the plans???