Lights Dimming, Idle, and Other Problems

adding another batter or a larger one will only increase the load to your alternator once the the engine has started. adding another batter or a larger one will only allow you play your stereo for longer periods of time. and it is not good to exceed the current (ampere) output of your alternator…this is overloading it and will significantly shorten your alternator’s life and at the same time draining your battery while you thought it was being charged.

have a auto electrician check out your charging system to see if there are any problems. and if you add in a mega watt system, you should have the electrician check out its current draw too as to not overload your charging system.

Originally posted by teg2nv
[B]The reason you stoped getting dimming is that the optima battery has a large amp reserve. so what really is happening is that your stereo is using all the alternator power. Then using the optima power, but since it has a large reserve capacity you are not seeing it dim. if you left the stereo playing long enough the battery would eventually die out.

Curls where are you man. I know you can back me up on this.

Take your car and have the electrical system check. should be free. They will test your battery and alternator under load and make sure its oprating correctly or if something is week or a ground is bad. from there you should be able to decide.

HTH [/B]
\

i disagree again, first the optima battey is only 12 volts, so all the optima is doing is allowing the amps from the alt to flow better.I am not using power from the battery since the alt takes over once the car has started, therefore my battery is flowing the alt amp better.So you can call anyone for assistance but some things can’t be disputed.Unfortunately you are wrong my friend, and so you know a optima is like having 6 caps.I would like to know how my battery can die out when the car is running also.What people don’t know is that regular batteries are good for starting the car but don’t transmit the amps from the alt good and that’s what the optima does.i was into car systems far before i waz into speed just so you know.91integgs how is the optima a bigger battery, it is just a dry cell battery not a bigger battery and doesn’t add an extra load on the alt.Even a bigger batery wouldn’t add any extra strain on the alt, however a second battery would add an extra load on the alt and that i do agree with you with.Regardless check your electrical system and you’ll find the problem, remember these are only suggestion on what to check first but it could be something else.hope this helps

The battery does not transfer power to the battery dirrectly, current runs from negative to postive, thats why upgrading you ground wires makes a big difference.

im not saying your setup is not working, but ultimatly just a large band aid fix.

this is highly hipothetical for an example,
your alt puts out 80 amp
car pulls and average of 40 amps
the remaining 40 is left for you system
say at full tilt you are pulling 60 amps, 20 more then alt provides,

music is very peaky in needs, at full tilt it may only average 30. so your battery is providing the power when the alt cant, kindof like a cap but will not charge like a cap and provides power longer then a cap.

hope that makes sense

Need Help with dimming Lights…

Hello, I was posting to this forum regarding my dimming lights and seeing if ya’ll could help me. I have a 1992 Acura Integra,5 spd, with 130k. I noticed that when i am driving at night and i brake my lights dim. Also when i turn on the a/c and when the a/c clutch engages my lights dim again. Once the ac cluth disengages it goes back to normal. Also when i use my powerwindows my lights dim. What i also noticed was that when this dimming occurs my rpm’s drop. I have been trying to do some research to see whats maybe causing this and all i came up with was the alternator and battery. I just wanted to see if any of ya’ll had had this problem before and to get your input on this situation. Any Information would be appreciated. Thank you.

:wrong: … go get your battery tested at AutoZone (its free) they’ll tell you if you need a new battery.

o gawd… if your scared of that… dont get sounds… your lights WILL dim when other things are running:sucks:

<marquee>I think it’s time for an optima yellow top.:up:
Now you see me…now you don’t:P</marquee>

???

What the hell is an optima yellow top?

dimming Headlights

If my headlights dim when my car idles compared to driving or revving passed idle is it a sign of bad battery, alternator, ground, connection?

could really be any of those. I replaced my ground wires in the engine compartment when i did my swap (ran 4ga from battery to chassis to tranny, and 8ga from the chassis to the head) and now my headlights don’t dim at idle when i step on the brakes.

you can also test the voltage of the battery and the charging system to see if they are up to par or not.

headlights/gauge dimming

both dim when i brake and accelerate…and also when using the power window switch…

is it either the battery or alternator ?

Mark, check your grounds.

also, :smiley:

:search:

my car does that to, but only when i step on the break, and when i come to a complete stop and the rpms drop to idle.

Lights Dimming Problem

Like the title says, im having a dimming problem with my lights. The lights dim when im not on the gas, but when im on, theyre back to normal. I would say that there is probably a 15-20% decrease in the light intensity. Oh, when i say lights i mean the dash, dome and headlights. Ive checked my charging system and everything checks out. The alternator is a couple of months old and the battery is a AC Delco. I was thinking that the problem may be my battery since it only has 450 cranking amps, not sure it should cause this tho. Oh, and a month ago the positive battery wire going into the fuse box under the hood was a bit burnt. I cut off the burn part and replaced it. Anyone else have these problems.
Thanks

ughhhhhhhh? Im already regiestered. Already got the confirmation email.

do you have a set of underdrive pullys? if so then that is your problem if not then it is most likely your alternator not producing enough power at such low rpm. it’ll help a lil if you adjust the idle screw on your thorttle body.

dont have any pulleys. oh and the car is completely stock. the alternator is pretty much brand new, and if i adjust the idle screw wont that make my idle higher too. my car is at a perfect idle stage right now. any other ideas. oh and this may not be the problem but its electrical related. Not sure if this is stock but when the cars off i still get power to my cigarette lighter. is this normal?

no it won’t make it idele higher… it’ll just amke it idle smoother cause it allows a fuller combustion since it gives it a lil more fuel. espcailly if your system is clogged this helps out a lot

i have the same problem with my teg. everything is completely stock and same power drain on my car. Someone told me to check the grounds but i have no idea how many there are and where they are.

Thought id bump this up again to see if anyone else had a response. Im getting ready to install a system and wanted to know if i might run into some problems. Anyone else with this problem and have a system installed?
Thanks