How to drive a FWD car in the rain:

I’m a little confused on some of the stuff stated on that website, seems like they are more than a little biased towards RWD cars. Better weight distribution? How does that work? More braking power to the rear wheels? What? How does having the rear wheels drive the car affect the braking ability? The weight bias is not that much different in a FF than a FR is it? I mean comon, a drive assembly can’t weigh enough to really make too big of a difference can it?

Engine braking causes the rear wheel braking. (Thus RWD engine braking is 100% rear, and 0% front.) And yes, a drive shaft, plus a rear end is VERY heavy. Yes, RWD cars have better weight distribution, due to the engine ussually sitting behind the front axels, plus the transmission sits in the center, and a driveshaft and rear end weight down the rear.

Hm, that’s right the transmission is in the back not the side. Forgot about that little detail. Gracias.

kinda iffy write up andrew. but none the less its detailed enough for us to know what youre doing.

going into a turn lateral force is placed on the oppisite side of which you turning, more wieght isnt over the front drive wheels until you brake or light acceleration, that is the case with most of our cars, hence understeer. the cure? stiffer springs in the rear.

or just dont push it so much down in santa cruz! those mountains are rough!

That’ll be hard to do Todd. In anycase, you’re almost correct about the weight transfer, except that weight transfers to the rear of our car whenever accelerating.
Hey Todd, we should do some autoX together dude. Although it’ll suck for me not being in a lower class. How are the Tein SS’s treating you? I’ll in Vallejo in this weekend.

theres a auto-x this weekend man! sunday in SF, im gonna get signed up and just watch this time, but otherwise things are going good, ill be working this weekend, im usually free before 1030am and after 730pm hahaha

gimme a call anytime though man 707 771 8888

bleh SS’s could be better, sending them out to get resprung and revalved to 650lbs or perhaps 700

When I talked to you at the Photo shop in Vallejo, I thought you had already sent them out. (I was with Allie–she loves taking pictures there.) Are you having to send them out twice?

Anyhow, I just entered your number on my cell. You might want to edit it off the internet now.
Where in SF this weekend? Is it on the SCCA CA site?
I’ll try to call you this weekend bro.

-Andrew

Hey Todd, you said: “bleh SS’s could be better, sending them out to get resprung and revalved to 650lbs or perhaps 700.”

Although I was thinking, what types of problems are you having that you would need a higher spring rate? What types of problems are you having with the Tein SS? Is your DA set-up with excessive negative camber at static ride height?
Also, keep in mind that stiffening up the front end, to a certain point will cause understeer.

-Andrew

When you are approaching a turn in the snow make sure you pull the e-brake so you do a bad ass drift.

i do it in the rain and it owns

both of the posters above me are ghey!