has anyone imported a da6 xsi to the U.S.

pics? :slight_smile:

Re:Pics

sorry its been so long. life is hectic right now. give me about a week and i should have them to you or this thread.

Check with some local importers of Jdm Engines some times they bring complete cars over and sale them cheap. and since you have a DA already just swap the vins with yours. Thats how a lot of guys do it in socal

haha you drive the blue xsi dont you? that car is sick
i saw it a hires on lima one day

so was that you?

blue xsi

sorry for not replying sooner. like i said life is hectic. repairing family cars, family emergencies etc. anyway yea that is me. i hate (in a way) driving it as a daily driver, but until i get the other teg legal again its what i got. i hate putting the miles on it but it is a blast to drive. how did you know it was me on here?

lol how many rhd DA are in indiana seriously… but i guess it was a lucky guess on it being you.

i have seen it a few times actually, i was in hires the same time you were but didnt know whos car it was so i didnt say anything. when i pulled i was like damn thats a clean teg with some jdm shit on it then i got out of my car and was like dayum his wheel is on the other side

From everthing I have found NHTSA has never given an authorization on a DA6 to be imported into the USA and be street legal. I found this out while searching for info on what has been approved with one of only three types of approvals: VSP, VSA, VCP. Without one of these it has not been approved to be driven on a public road. I think this were the one guy that recently got his car crushed, but had registration that checked out at first, messed up.

Under 49 U.S.C. 30141(a)(1)(A), a motor vehicle that was not
originally manufactured to conform to all applicable Federal motor
vehicle safety standards (FMVSS) shall be refused admission into the
United States unless NHTSA has decided that the motor vehicle is
substantially similar to a motor vehicle originally manufactured for
importation into and sale in the United States, certified under 49
U.S.C. 30115, and of the same model year as the model of the motor
vehicle to be compared, and is capable of being readily altered to
conform to all applicable FMVSS. Where there is no substantially
similar U.S.-certified motor vehicle, 49 U.S.C. 30141(a)(1)(B) permits
a nonconforming motor vehicle to be admitted into the United States if
its safety features comply with, or are capable of being altered to
comply with, all applicable FMVSS based on destructive test data or
other evidence (such as an engineering analysis) that NHTSA decides is
adequate.

Petitions for eligibility decisions may be submitted by either
manufacturers or importers who have registered with NHTSA pursuant to
49 CFR Part 592. As specified in 49 CFR 593.7, NHTSA publishes notice
in the Federal Register of each petition that it receives, and affords
interested persons an opportunity to comment on the petition. At the
close of the comment period, NHTSA decides, on the basis of the
petition and any comments that it has received, whether the vehicle is
eligible for importation. The agency then publishes this decision in
the Federal Register.

So basically Joe Smoe cant go to canada and bring a car down and submit paper work without being a Manufacturer or Importer that is registered with the NHTSA unless you bring in a car that has already been petitioned and approved and assigned a VSA or VSP#.

“VSA” eligibility numbers are assigned to all vehicles that are decided to be eligible for importation
on the initiative of the Administrator.

“VSP” eligibility numbers are assigned to vehicles that are decided to be eligible under 49 U.S.C. §
30141(a)(1)(A), based on a petition from a manufacturer or registered importer which establishes that a substantially similar U.S.-certified vehicle exists. This is were the DA6 would fall in, but you still have to be a registered importer

“VCP” eligibility numbers are assigned to vehicles that are decided to be eligible under 49 U.S.C. §
30141(a)(1)(B), based on a petition from a manufacturer or registered importer which establishes that
the vehicle has safety features that comply with, or are capable of being altered to comply with, all
applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards.

I am still looking for a list of cars that were petitioned and declined. I only have the list of those approved with an assigned VSA, VSP, VCP #'s.

So I emailed customs at the entrance into the USA where I would be crossing for ease of dealing with the exact people if I actually came through and having email traffic with a person in their office if there were to be any problems.

[I]To Whom It May Concern,

I am interested in importing a vehicle from Canada and trying to find out if this is the list of vehicles that have already been approved for import? Also for the ones that have been assigned a VCP# where would I find out what needs to be modified if any? Or if they have already been imported into Canada are they already modified to be accepted here and can just be purchased and brought across with the bill of sale and signed over Canadian registration and then registered here? I am currently stationed at McChord AFD, WA so it would be registered here of that makes any difference.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/elig060109.pdf

Thank you for your time and patience and looking forward to hearing the response
[/I]
RESPONSE I GOT BACK:

[I]If you are inquiring about importing personally owned vehicles into the United States from Canada, here are a few helpful hints that can assist you. Prior to applying to import your vehicle into the United States, you must first ensure that you have in your possession the following:

• Proof of ownership such as ICBC registration or a bill of sale if recently purchased.

• You must verify that the vehicle meets both D.O.T and E.P.A labeling requirements.

The D.O.T. label can be found on the driver’s doorjamb. The E.P.A is usually found under the hood. If either labels are missing, then you must attain a letter of conformity by the vehicle manufacturer stating that the vehicle meets both D.O.T and E.P.A standards. If you cannot attain a letter of conformity from the manufacturer, then your only other option is to have the vehicle commercially imported utilizing a registered importer/broker.

Once you verified that you have in possession those items and your vehicle meets the requirements, you can now apply to import your vehicle into the United States at any of the local CPB Ports of Entry. A CBP officer will verify your documents and your vehicle’s VIN and then issue you CF7501 (A form that you will be required to give to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles in the state that you intend on registering your vehicle). Vehicles manufactured in North America generally are duty free (North American manufactured vehicle VIN’s start with the numbers 1,2,3,4 or 5). Duty may be assessed to vehicle manufactured outside North America.

If you require further information, then you can get it at:

*cbp.gov

*nhtsa.dot.gov

*epa.gov

Thank you
[/I]
So I emailed him back thanking him for the info and will use it for future use in the possibility of purchasing a car there and bringing it back.