Harbor Frieght Tools to Avoid

91akira - if what operator207 says it’s true about the race jack… your arms must be buffed as fcuk huh LOL… that’s crazy… I’ve never heard such a thing about race jacks… guess it’s the first for me too :read:

Yup. I guess thats the way they are.

Every race jack i have used is exactly that way. From the Sears Craftsman to the HF crappy ones. I think my father’s is a Mr. Goodwrench, it is that way too.

I do not consider myself “buff”, I am usually turning knobs on Servers not Cars, but I never really had a problem using any of them.

And yes, they will slam your car down if your not careful letting the jack’s pressure out. I have indentions in my front lip because of it.

My dad and I get tools from Harbor Freight. My Dads got a set of Pittsburgh Screwdrivers my Grandfather bought him almost 8 years ago and they are all in working condition. Their pretty nice actually. And we are tough on tools. I just bought a spot weld cutter about a week ago and it did it’s job awesomely. We’ve had no problems with the things we have bought from them. Hell if it weren’t for HF my build wouldn’t be as far as it is now.

:rockon:

Cheap tools, but they have come to the rescue SO many times!!!

I would never buy air tools, hand tools, or the sort from harbor freight; but I have a tile saw, a 20 ton press, and a cherry picker that have worked great.

harbor freight = rota of the tool world

but they actually have some decent stuff

i use them at work works great and they trade them out when i broke them haha cant beat cheap tools with a lifetime warrety

I’ve had good and bad experiences

The Good:
Rubber Wheel Chocks - they saved my life once, no joke. If you use jack stands then get these. The piece of mind is worth it.
Microfiber towel 8 packs. Awesome price, get 2
$20 Brake caliper hold down tool. It rocks more than Fraggle :rockon:
Dixie air horns - NOT MY CAR, but I installed one once.
12 Minute Headlamp Lens Restorer Kit - worked well on 4 headlights and that was it. If you care then get the new Meguiars kit locally, it can be used many more times.
Nylon interior tool set - EVERYONE who wrenches or does stereo installs needs this. There should be a law requiring them.
Spot Weld Cutter - killer time saver that leaves a clean cut

The following I am indifferent with, they all work as advertised:
Bearing Grease Packer, Radiator Fin Straightener, Mechanic’s Stethoscope, magnetic parts tray, drain pans, Cylinder leak down test kit,

The bad:
Timing light - It was cracked when I got it. Used it and sent it back for replacement. The second one I’ve used several times carefully with good results. Like someone else said, it feels like a kids toy.
Chicago Electric 4" angle grinder - got it on sale for $15 and the motor burnt out the second day of the project. Had to run out and spend $30 on a Bosch at Home Depot and its been great.
$20 brake bleeder - Had vacuum leak in the handle area when I got it. I walked down to Jegs :salute: and picked up a Motive Products brake bleeder kit - I can not stop going on about how awesome it is. I hear the Mityvac that they carry is good but I was in a hurry and couldn’t wait for shipping.
Avoid all automotive lighting, its junk that rusts and cracks easily.

Its hit or miss with them. I stick to the cheaper stuff and bulk up on sale items. A lot of items are fine for one time or occasional use. I would not trust my paycheck while using all tools I purchased from them, especially the Chicago electric stuff.

Four Wheel Disc Brake Piston Tool- always works for me.