Going turbo!!!

OK, I’m gonna run either DSM 450 or the next size down, 390 I think, haven’t done the research on that yet. Probably 390. 450 seems too big. I’ll get a basemap burned for my set-up from xenocron. Scrap the FMU idea, it’s safer this way.

Now, I’m only going to tune for AFR, that’s what PLX wideband is for. Most widebands out there just display your AFR number, thats it, right. Well this one’s different. It replaces your O2 sensor, then actualy overrides the signal to the ECU to modify your fuel curve ON THE FLY. Trust me dude, this thing is golden. Check out their website plxdevices.com, they got some cool videos on youtube too about how their shit works.

I undersand that tuning for AFR only will not get me the most power, but it will be safe and reliable.:cool:

P.S. Can’t do anything to the ignition curve though. Will have to leave it stock.

[QUOTE=mr_djsonic;2054389]OK, I’m gonna run either DSM 450 or the next size down, 390 I think, haven’t done the research on that yet. Probably 390. 450 seems too big. I’ll get a basemap burned for my set-up from xenocron. Scrap the FMU idea, it’s safer this way.

P.S. Can’t do anything to the ignition curve though. Will have to leave it stock.[/QUOTE]

get the 450 always good to be a little bigger than needed and they r wayyy easier to find than the 390. Dont wanna be prohibited by injectors for power and safty reasons. and i HIGHLY suggest doing something about the ignition timing it makes or breaks set ups alot of times. besides is the extra 400-600 bucks really that much of a breaking point when you can use it for your other more powerful set up to?

[QUOTE=mr_djsonic;2054389]OK, I’m gonna run either DSM 450 or the next size down, 390 I think, haven’t done the research on that yet. Probably 390. 450 seems too big. I’ll get a basemap burned for my set-up from xenocron. Scrap the FMU idea, it’s safer this way.

Now, I’m only going to tune for AFR, that’s what PLX wideband is for. Most widebands out there just display your AFR number, thats it, right. Well this one’s different. It replaces your O2 sensor, then actualy overrides the signal to the ECU to modify your fuel curve ON THE FLY. Trust me dude, this thing is golden. Check out their website plxdevices.com, they got some cool videos on youtube too about how their shit works.

I undersand that tuning for AFR only will not get me the most power, but it will be safe and reliable.:cool:

P.S. Can’t do anything to the ignition curve though. Will have to leave it stock.[/QUOTE]

not a safe way to go. the safe way, is to get it tuned on chrome. thats the safe way. second of all, your tlling me that the plx somehow tells your computer to put more fuel in? is it like a apexi avfcII?

450s it is. Blue tops, right?

I don’t know anything about AVFCII, so can’t really compare. But, PLX is a self calibrating wideband that replaces your O2 sensor and taps into your ECU in it’s place. You just wire it in. It is very very simple, especialy for OBD0.

“Simple = less shit to go wrong.”

It will always try to add or take out fuel as nessesary to run stoichiometric. As long as you have injectors big enough for the ammount of air you’re trying to push into the engine it will work.:manual:

I was skeptical when I first heard of it. But when I helped my friend install it and saw it at work, it all made sence.

[QUOTE=mr_djsonic;2054389]
Now, I’m only going to tune for AFR, that’s what PLX wideband is for. Most widebands out there just display your AFR number, thats it, right. Well this one’s different. It replaces your O2 sensor, then actualy overrides the signal to the ECU to modify your fuel curve ON THE FLY. Trust me dude, this thing is golden.[/QUOTE]

This can be confusing. from what I read on there website is that it has a narrowband and wideband output to the ECU. most widebands out there do this. I think you confuse this to be able to set parameters for your car to run safely, right? wrong, it will give your ecu an o2 input and from there, your ecu can adjust afr’s depending on ect, iat, and other factors, but not to the degree that you think it will like a fuel controller like the VAFC, power FC…etc.(manipulate the O2 input using RPM, TPS, o2 input and other factors). there are fuel controllers out there and I think that’s what you thought this PLX does but it does not.

your best bet is still to find someone that can street tune it or tune it yourself using a burner and learning Turboedit or any other management system. it doesn’t take much of any mistake to blow an engine. I know this is your DD, so be safe in making the right choices and always take the info. provided here into consideration.

VERY IMPORTANT a basemap is just that and is not for you to rip to redline on it, just safe enough to get you to a reputable tuner!!! remember that!!!

i ran on a basemap once with no other tune…it lasted 4 weeks
basemap was from pheralbe.

do it right or you will kick yourself in the nuts. i have been there

It is my understanding that PLX takes a wideband signal and converts it into a narrowband so the ECU can read it and adjust fuel accordingly.

The number one reaso I want to run it, is it’s plug and play simplicity.
Number two is my friend is running the same set up with no problems, I see the thing at work everyday. It realy works, and most of all, I UNDERSTAND HOW it works.
Number three, I have no clue how to tune a car with Turbo Edit. I don’t understand HOW it works. I want simplicity. I’m not a geek, I’m a mechanic. Numbers confuse me, if I get into that, I’ll definetly make mistakes and blow up my car.

stocker2shocker I’m not just gonna run a basemap alone, I know that’s a bad idea. I’m convinced that PLX approach will work.

I’m confident enough to run this on my DD.

well, if it just modify’s the signal, it won’t work, esp on honda obd0 ecu’s, narrow band 02 readings are only 0-1v. its junk and won’t do crap because that’s not good enough to change your ecu output. good luck with it, but i’m telling you your gonna be spending a bunch of money on something that won’t work for your car.

thats an interesting module if it works, ive never herd of it

Doesn’t your friend run a beamer? What makes you think that parts that run on his car would run on a Honda?

what they are trying to say is the stock ECU is set to always keep you at stoich…which is 14.7:1 A/F…so the PLX you are mentioning will allow adjustment of the extra fuel beyond stock but allow the ECU to set you back to stoich. that’s what i’m understanding anyways.

now the problem with this is a boosted car needs to be around 10.5:1 - 11:1 A/F to be safe (can run leaner yet for more HP, but need MUCH strickter tuning as well)

so by staying at the ECU’s stoich, a/f wont be boost friendly

hope i understand what your saying right

[QUOTE=mr_djsonic;2054925]
It is my understanding that PLX takes a wideband signal and converts it into a narrowband so the ECU can read it and adjust fuel accordingly.

The number one reaso I want to run it, is it’s plug and play simplicity.
Number two is my friend is running the same set up with no problems, I see the thing at work everyday. It realy works, and most of all, I UNDERSTAND HOW it works.
Number three, I have no clue how to tune a car with Turbo Edit. I don’t understand HOW it works. I want simplicity. I’m not a geek, I’m a mechanic. Numbers confuse me, if I get into that, I’ll definetly make mistakes and blow up my car.

stocker2shocker I’m not just gonna run a basemap alone, I know that’s a bad idea. I’m convinced that PLX approach will work.

I’m confident enough to run this on my DD.[/QUOTE]
and in which way will this make the ecu accept boost? what map will you be running? this will make your car run 11.5-12 afr’s under boost? i dont see it happening.

mr_djsonic I HIGHLY suggest you do some reading. A PLX alone will not do anything for you. You’re definitely going to need something to manipulate your maps with. Saying “I’m a mechanic, not a geek” just doesn’t apply.

PLX works in anything that has an ECU. Period!!!

My friend is running 11.8-12.2 AFR under WOT boost. And 14.7 AFR at idle. Running rising rate FPR with 22 lb/hr injectors, STOCK BASEMAP!!!

It just works. All we did was plug it in.

Here’s a video link on PLX Wideband SM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTRKGP9N1PY&feature=related

I’ll post another video link later of my friend’s AFR under boost. I wanna film when the sun goes down, I have a shitty camera, it’s reflecting too much right now.

this does the same thing the PLX does. no difference.

I have this, and it cannot tune my car. it can send a narrowband or wideband input to the ECU. if your ECU basemap is in open loop then this is useless anyway. I will admit, this is a great investment, but is not needed more than a good tune. it is completely useless when you don’t know what it does. My best advise is to keep reading. don’t try to understand the coding behind a honda ECU, just know that the way you think it works on your friends BMW is not going to work the same for a honda ECU.

[QUOTE=mr_djsonic;2055295]PLX works in anything that has an ECU. Period!!!

My friend is running 11.8-12.2 AFR under WOT boost. And 14.7 AFR at idle. Running rising rate FPR with 22 lb/hr injectors, STOCK BASEMAP!!!

It just works. All we did was plug it in.

Here’s a video link on PLX Wideband SM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTRKGP9N1PY&feature=related

I’ll post another video link later of my friend’s AFR under boost. I wanna film when the sun goes down, I have a shitty camera, it’s reflecting too much right now.[/QUOTE]

yeah, i watched that video, its identical to the aem uego, which i have one of them also, it just monitors with honda ecu’s, it WILL NOT CHANGE your o2 readings by pluggin it into your ecu without tuning. PERIOD So, I dont’ really care how this worked with your friends beemer, take it from a honda guy who has had several tuned cars, you have to chip it and get it tuned. That plx system, is what my tuner actually uses to tune cars, its great for data loging, but it’s not what changes your cars fuel output, its the tuning

He will learn, eventually :angel:

when his shit blows up on his first pull. i still dont see how this will change the map sensor readings. once the map see’s boost its going to cut the fuel. since, as we all know, honda’s are n/a.

that plx thing is the same thing as my innovate lc2. shows me a wideband reading, and if i want i can hook it up to the ecu for a narrowband. thats all it does. nothing more.

I feel like I’ve fucked with the hornet’s nest! HAHA!

Why would the ECU cut fuel if it sees boost? I may be wrong, but I think it would go to open loop if anything. Anyway, a check valve easily solves this.

I have seen it work on Hondas, Nissans, Porches, even minivans!!! Why does it work on my friend’s car? Why is it that everyone that I talked to that runs PLX hasn’t blown up yet and loves the simplicity of it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UepeUVfQ_k

Quoting the Turbo Guide:

“This is similar to the above option but instead it uses larger injectors and an Apex-I AFC to control them.” (PLX in my case) “With this option you can use a 12:1 or 10:1 ratio on the Vortech FMU depending on injector size.” " The Apex-I AFC (shown below) is used to de-tune the injectors so they will allow the car to run normally at idle and at low, partial throttle RPM. Check valves will be required to keep the MAP sensor for sensing boost, a Missing Link check valve is recommended but plastic aquarium check valves could be used. A common setup with this option is to use 320cc injectors which is good to about 12 PSI. Going much higher is very risky with an FMU setup."

Why would this be unsafe? I’m only gonna run 7-10 PSI.

you are missing the entire point of what we just explained. that PLX wideband is a display man, nothing more than a display, now with the FREE options you have for tuning, why on earth would you opt for check valves and a afc? seems like your looking for a bandaid? those fueling options were good when there was little available but now there’s no excuse now. the best way to go about getting your car to run good is to get the 450cc’s and chipped ecu tuned on turboedit, bre, ghettodyne…etc… it will save you in the long run, trust me.