Finally Getting My Turbo Set Up Going

Yeh, it’s normally 2 ports for tranny cooling. If they say it’s made for turbo cooling, well it must be.

I’ve been talking to a bunch of people and some are saying block the coolant off and just run a turbo timer to cool it down. I think i’m gonna go with the water cooling though. It was meant to have it so why not stick with it. I don’t mind the extma amount of work it’ll take to make it work.

Went ahead and mounted my intercooler today. It might be moved up or down a bit once I see how it sits behind the bumper, but this is generally it’s finally spot. The bumper support has to be hacked up quite a bit to fit around it, but that’s no big deal. (ignore the piping, that was just shoved on to see if it would clear where the bumper mounts)

Nevermind…I just had it up too high before. I thought that was right, but I guess it’s a smart idea to leave the support mounted and then try to see where the intercooler should go. Lesson learned on my part. I’ve still got to make the lower support for it and then throw the bumper on to see if the grill hits it. Oh and fyi it wont look this shitty when everything is done. This makes my car look dirty and rusty

^wide angle lens makes it look like ive got a crazy amount of camber…I don’t

Talk about stealth! I didn’t have to cut a single thing =] The only mod I had to make was to relocate the horns up a bit so the piping didn’t hit them

Two more pieces I can check off my list, thanks to my friend Lance for these parts.

Oil sandwich plate, and oil feed line/fittings (yes it fits into my turbo)

nice job on the stealth…i think they should all be hidden like that lol

Thanks. My plan originally was to paint the intercooler silver, but now that I see how hidden it is…I’m just gonna re spray it black. I’m cool with the whole sleeper status. Idk how well my rsr will cover up the sound of a turbo, but as long as that is quite no one should be able to tell

what kinda BOV u gonna run?

edit: nvm i saw that one, thats gonna be a loud BOV lol…for stealth try an EVO9 oem BOV…

[QUOTE=bryan24207;2291213]what kinda BOV u gonna run?

edit: nvm i saw that one, thats gonna be a loud BOV lol…for stealth try an EVO9 oem BOV…[/QUOTE]

I wanted an hks ssqv but I got this one for free, sooo I’m gonna go ahead and use it lol. It is quite loud, but oh well. Free is free. It’ll be stealth…until they here that =]

can probably get an evo9 for free if ur lucky too lol…i have the turbo xs RFL on the evo and holy shit it scared people but it would leak boost at like 30psi…the evo9 one was quiet and sneaky lol

Ok so thanks to Tater & MrGtiiiii for the piping. I was able to route the cold side of the piping today =] I had to cut a few of the pipes and a piece of the car but other than that it was a smooth process. I’m hoping I can find someone who can weld aluminum that way I can get rid of a few of these couplers. I still need to get some more piping for the hot side of it, but I wont be able to figure that part out until the turbo is mounted again.

I want these 2 couplers welded for sure

That piece you gave me Cody fit perfect right onto the trottle body. The bov is upside down, which I think is cool cause it’s hidden, but if it’s bad to have it upside down then I’ll change it

The coupler right under the strut bar I’d like welded as well. I’ll leave the one down near that hole where the pipe goes threw that way I can take it out & put it in…obviously

I’m also either going to paint the piping all black or get it powder coated, not sure which yet. Depends on my wallet at the end.

Looking good man, definitely get the less couplers you can. I’ll be down to 2 at joints. Less worries of blowing pipes off.

Thanks. Exactly. I’ve seen my friends blow couplers off and it is not a pleasant sound or feeling

If you have a lot of couplers, best thing is to weld a bead around the end of the pipe to give it a ‘lip’… Much higher chance of the couplers staying attached.

Looking good though man!

Be weary of how you paint the intercooler… I’ve read horror stories of regular aerosol paint clogging the fins and reducing quote a lot of airflow and cooling properties.

Nice progress

[QUOTE=unified112;2291371]If you have a lot of couplers, best thing is to weld a bead around the end of the pipe to give it a ‘lip’… Much higher chance of the couplers staying attached.

Looking good though man!

Be weary of how you paint the intercooler… I’ve read horror stories of regular aerosol paint clogging the fins and reducing quote a lot of airflow and cooling properties.[/QUOTE]
I think just welding them up would be better than messing with all that and the couplers. I’ll do my research on painting the intercooler before I do it. Thanks

Thanks. It’s actually going faster than I thought it would. I’m gonna order my radiator in a few days, but after that things are probably gonna slow down. I still haven’t paid a dime for any of this turbo stuff, but I’m also still gonna be broke after I get the radiator

Indeed getting rid of the couplers completely is the better idea… I was just saying, IF you have to use couplers, welding a lip on the piping is something you can do to help them stay connected.

coming along great.

Thanks.

I finally bought something for this set up lol I ordered my radiator yesterday =] I also took apart the bov the other day just to make sure everything was ok inside of it and it seems to be, but I’ve got a question. When I opened it up, there are 3 springs inside of it. I would imagine those are for different psi? The bov also has a knob on the top that I can adjust either soft or hard…not really sure what that means either. Any help with that guys? Thanks

I don’t know much about the BOV. I think the knob is supposed to adjust the sensitivity of the valve opening. I think there is a trade off though…The softer setting will let the BOV release air easier during closed throttle applications, keeping your charge pipes free of positive pressure. The harder setting should allow for more PSI while the turbo is producing boost, but may keep the BOV closed during closed throttle applications until a certain pressure is reached in the charge pipes. This could lead to damage of the turbocharger’s compressor.