CUT FACTORY SPRINGS????? GOOD or BAD??????

yo, colin. It changes them because there are less coils and so the metal that is there has to do more of the work than it used to. cut springs == stiffer springs. I’d have to bust out the formula to tell you how much stiffer, though.

Cutting springs isnt a bad thing if you know what you are doing. Just dont heat them.

Ben

i’m riding on cut springs. i used stock shocks/springs with only 30K miles on them but it rides the same as it did before with 150K miles on the old shocks/springs. it rides just like stock… and out of all the people who have been in my car, nobody has said it rides harsh, bouncy, choppy or anything like that.

edit - i just did it because i had that extra set of springs/shocks sitting in the basement so when i got really bored one day, i cut them and put them on. yes i can afford real springs and shocks, but why buy them when i’m happy with the ride now? i cant drive again until feb. anyway so i dont really care right now

haha, ben, I know how it effects the spring rates… I was asking the guy who I quoted in my post. I was asking him because he clearly had no idea :wink:

Please discredit the entire post I quoted above. This is utter bullshit. He supplies no objective analysis as to why it rides OK, but rather he just subjectivly SAYS it performs OK. There is absolutly no way the car would ride like stock.

(Suspension travel is shortended, more negative camber is added, the toe is changed, and the top mounting brackets contact with the bump stops sooner, upon bottoming out.)

Instead of posting negativity you could at least ask him to expand on his explanation a little bit more, maybe?

I posted negativly because it’s posts like these, that will convince newbies that, “Hey, I should just cut my springs! It’ll ride fine–just like stock!”

(Then a few days after he’s done this and bottoming the car out hard a few times, the chassis sections are bent, and the LCA’s are bent, and the strut tower mounting sections in the engine bay are bent, his bushings are excessivly worn…the list goes on.)

And obviously, G2sleeperstyle has never picked up a suspension dynamics book, but yet claims with the utmost certainty the car “rides fine.”
So why again shouldn’t I negativly respond to this, if he’s giving bad information?

utter bullshit? dont talk shit unless you want to come to my house and ride in my car, then you can say it doesn’t ride like stock. i NEVER SAID IT WAS A GOOD IDEA OR PERFORMED GOOD. i was simply talking about the bouncyness or harshness you fuckin retard. where’s all this utmost certainty? did i guarantee something?

and why should i have to explain why it rides like it does? i dont know, why dont you ask it why it rides like that. maybe its because all the parts i put on were newer and in better condition? and its only dropped like 1.8" so its not that big of a deal. and no i have never read a suspension dynamics book, nor do i care to.
giving bad information? i never suggested it, i was posting my experience with cut springs like everybody else. my brother cut his springs and his rode like shit…there you happy? you need to chill the fuck out man and think before you post.

Rjohn - :up:

No prob.

I have seen a bunch of cars with cut springs that ride fine. Trust me there is a lot of rice where I am from. I have never actually cut my springs but I see it as why not try it? It is free and if it works your ride looks better. If the ride suck and you don’t like it buy some lowering springs or coilovers. If you don’t have a thick wallet then try it.

yea i think its all in how much you cut and how you cut it. like with mine i cut down only 2 coils i think and cut the coil at an angle like it normally is so it sits in the cup/boot flush. this is only temporary though, i’ll do it the right way when i get my license back lol.

And why was that funny Maral? Ever been to Hot Springs? I have.

heating springs lowers them you crackwhore.

Yeah. Ok.

:bang:

alchohol happens.

no it doesnt

Yeah, I didn’t think it was very funny either. Thats a good way to get bad exposure for this site. :jerkoff: What does it matter where i’m from?? I asked a simple question that turned into a 2 page argument. Thanks to everyone that posted useful info and not dipshit remarks. :rockon:

my god! stop getting so butt hurt. I was merely making an observation. The city/area you are from is also a way that you can lower your springs…

It would be idiotic of me to assume you’re an idiot because of where you come from. Considering the fact that I’m not even from the US.

Shit people, stop thinking so negatively.

Ironic.

I do not need to ride in your car to know that it will not ride like stock. I’ve driven DA’s with cut springs on OEM dampeners. The reason why people cut their springs is to make it look “cool” paying no attention to the reasons why we make suspension modifications: performance.
Cutting springs will blow out OEM shocks, have excessive inner tire wear from too much static negative camber, and other detrimental affects.

I appolgize if I offend. That was not my intention. Your statement is still utter bullshit, and pertains to your statement only, but has nothing to do with your character. So please leave the insults in Junior high school.

And yes, posts advocting for cut springs, will sway newbies into thinking it’s OK to cut springs.

In anycase, good luck in your methods of suspension modifications.

-Andrew