b17a W/LS tranny I hate it WTD

i thought they had the same gears but different final drive… 4.785 for ITR and 4.4 for Si. :think:

arw, you say the final drive is the same in both… are the gears the same as well? they may be different

i’m so lost now :stuck_out_tongue:

so does the long-geared YS1 (why couldn’t Honda have given it a different name and saved us the hassle) have longer gearing than the 90-91 trannies? In my 91, with an A1 trans, tach indicates 3500 RPM at 70 mph, and I know the speed is right.

Gearing and final drive are the same. :up:

sup arw321- short gears are always better for allmotor and nitrous.
with boost you need more gearing in order for the boost to make its power to the ground. thats why you see some guys bounce off the rev limiter with shorter gears because they havent reached peak boost.
as for this comment up here :lol: yes and no…settle it for another day.

rjgerolaga- as for 99 si tranny and gsr. um just check out at the chart again :read:[/QUOTE]

gsr               vs              itr

1st 3.230 3.230
2nd 1.900 2.105
3rd 1.360 1.458
4th 1.034 1.107
5th .787 .848
final 4.4 4.4
redline 8100 8400

but what is the gearing of the 99 civic si. :think:
it doest make sense for honda to make a different tranny for si and gsr if they are almost…almost identical to each other. 1.6 vs 1.8…etc…etc…

look how many gearsets they already had around - no idea what all of them were for

my bad i was sick and tired, i will do the search on h-t.
as for the si tranny and usdm itr i was looking at the jdm itr the whole time. shiet im trippin. my bad about that arw321 and krazieteggie.
im actually lookin at these for my race car liberty gears

let me add that peak boost comment was meant that for really high boost w/ short gears.
my bad i was tired when i put that.

i dont know why either. i wish they did put different codes on em too.
beats having to know exactly what car the tranny came from and just thowing it on to see what it really is.

^ that bothers me too …thats why im a little iffy when looking into buying trannys …

A number of things effect what gearing is best for the application. If it was always true that shorter gearing was better, than a car with 33 gears would be superior to one with 6. The fact is that it takes time to shift, and it takes time to spool a turbo. Also, once your wheels are spinning you cannot accelerate as quickly since the coefficiant of dynamic friction between your tires and the road is lower than the coefficiant of static friction.

Ok Im guessing that this is a complicated topic.Im getting my ecu chipped so vtec kicks in at 4500.Hopefully this will hold me off until boost project is done.Im just so sick of hearing “dude your car would be a beast with an si tranny” after i run people.I hear my boy shifting his b18c with an si tranny and im still in second gear(7600ish) as hes in the middle of 3rd gear about to shift into fourth.In all honesty when my teg was in the shop, they ordered tranny parts from a 92 LS and they didnt fit.The shop then returned those tranny parts and sought out to find the ones that did fit.When I had asked them what tranny parts they ordered, the idiots told me the parts were from a 2.2l vtec prelude(WTF) isnt that impossible.Synchros,gears,shaft,etc from h series arent interchangable with b-series.My guess is that the guys at the tranny shop had no idea that a b17a even existed.The tranny was rebuilt beautifully and they installed my exedy clutch,exedy flywheel,and short shifter at labor cost of 300 which was for the tranny anyway.They did a good job on everything except for telling what the fuck tranny it actually was! So you guys said drive to redline in what gear and see what mph im at? redline being 8200?

Speaking of this topic @ 80mph my tachometer reads 4k and I have 91 LS.

:shrug: on a stock tach. they can be off as much as 500rpm.
ex: when my (EG) stock tach reads 8500rpm, im really doing 8000rpm.
and on the other car the (DA) reads vice versa, when it reads 8000rpm on the stock tach. im really doing 8500rpm. confirmed by vafc memory
i usually get a second opinion like a vafc or a monster tach.
those damn stock tachs :rant:
but yeah millano
80mph @ around 3500 rpm = LS ys1
80mph @ around 4400 rpm = GSR ys1
good luck on da setup