3M Window Weld DIY Solid Mounts

This has been done before, but I wanted to give my impressions.

First it is a pain in the ass to do. The product is messy and awkward at times. Once you open the can you have about 15 mintues before it solidifies and that can is done. One can can do 3 mounts no problem.

I took an old litter box for my kitten, filled it with oildry and coverd it loosely with plastic wrap. Then I laid each mount onto the plastic and buried the flanges so the mount itself lays flat. From there I got a caulking gun, and went to work. Stick the “needle” as far down into the mount as you can WITHOUT touching the plastic wrap. Then fill the mount. This way all the cracks will be filled up. I messed up on one, but got most of it so I’m not redoing it.

After that I let them sit for 3 days to cure. The outside cures fast so don’t be fooled. Let it sit, you will be happy you did.

Driving impression. . .
W - O - W.

What an amazing difference. First there is virtually NO movement of the engine. It stays put. Keep in mind I have a solid front torque mount that I made for my traction bars. However I had that mount on my car befor ei filled the new ones. There is slight vibration in the steering wheel but not as much as a true solid mount, mostly b/c they are rubber vs the polyurethene or polygraphite ina real solid mount. But thy do their job WONDERFULLY!.

On’ce Ive got it broken in ill try to get some vids.

did the same thing when I put my engine in a few weeks back…cheap and effective. 9bucks well spent

will do the same soon.

I heard guys use this stuff to fill in the cracked trailing arm bushings as well…

Now I just gotta think of a “clean” way of doing it so it fills and holds in place of the bushings…

[QUOTE=hybrid90;2033286]I heard guys use this stuff to fill in the cracked trailing arm bushings as well…

Now I just gotta think of a “clean” way of doing it so it fills and holds in place of the bushings…[/QUOTE]

kiddie swimming pool full of sand. or sandbox. lay em in flat and fill em. i actually plan on doing this as well. they gotta sit flat or the weld will run.

So you’re saying I have to take the TA’s off completely? That sucks cuz if I did that, I’d rather just replace the damn bushings…

I was kinda trying not to go that route and try to put the window welds on the TA bushings while it’s on the suspension lol… yeah yeah I’m lazy.

[QUOTE=hybrid90;2033658]So you’re saying I have to take the TA’s off completely? That sucks cuz if I did that, I’d rather just replace the damn bushings…

I was kinda trying not to go that route and try to put the window welds on the TA bushings while it’s on the suspension lol… yeah yeah I’m lazy.[/QUOTE]

can’t do it on the car b/c the window weld will run and not set properly. you have to have it on a flat plane so you can “form” the weld into the bushing.