Anyone tried the OBX CAMS?????

Alright before people flame this just hear me out. I havev a b16 and want stage 2 or 3 cams. OBX offers them for $335.00 on ebay. They have the EXACT same lift/duration as the skunk2’s. Here is the pic and info off ebay

Type: Stage I
Part Number: 10117
Lift/Duration: IN. 0456, 252; EX. 0.426, 249
Notes: Valvetrain upgrade recommended

Type: Stage II
Part Number: 10115
Lift/Duration: IN. 0485, 266; EX. 0.466, 262
Notes: Valvetrain upgrade required

Type: Stage III
Part Number: 10116
Lift/Duration: IN. 0504, 270; EX. 0.465, 279
Notes: Valvetrain upgrade required

Aggressive lobe setting for racing applications

Larger lift produces maximum horsepower at all rpm ranges

Precision machined from forged billet 4130 chrome moly steel rod

Lightweight hollow design for optimum torque

Computer balanced for smooth idling

Compatible with naturally aspirated engines, turbo or supercharged engines

Lifetime warranty against all manufacturer defects

OK so that’s the OBX’s. Here is the skunk2’s info off of their website:

B16A-B, B17A, B18C1-5 1.6L-1.8L DOHC VTEC Stage I IN. 0.456, 252
EX. 0.426, 249 305-05-0140 Valvetrain upgrade recommended CARB EXEMPT $850.00
Stage II IN. 0.485, 266
EX. 0.466, 262 305-05-0145 Valvetrain upgrade required $905.60
Stage III IN. 0.504, 270
EX. 0.465, 279 305-05-0150 Valvetrain upgrade required $905.60

As you can see the OBX’s are $335.00 and the skunk2’s are $905.00. Has anyone out there tried these? Damn if I can save $600 and not buy skunk2’s for the EXACT same thing I would. Put that $600 into a port and polish and what not…Let me know what you think…Thanks guys!

:

I SAW THEM TO I DONT KNOW HOW GOOD THEY ARE BUT WITH A LIFE TIME WARRANTY. EVERYONE SAID OBX IS SHIT STUFF BUT THERE LSD WITH LIFE TIME WARRANTY IS HOLDING UP TO I THINK 700 HP CIVIC. IT MIGHT BE WORTH A TRY. :gotrice:

Haven’t heard much either about these cams, but check honda-tech. I read a few threads on there this past weekend about OBXs cams and LSD…seems the LSD is holding up to some pretty high HP and stuff. Not that I’m backing OBX but maybe they are actually starting to make some quality stuff. I think I’ll wait it out for a few months on these cams before I even consider getting them for my B16. But as for now it seems not many poeple have tried them…

So give honda-tech a look and see what everyone on there is saying.

Next thing you know APC will start making performance products… :gay: J/K I’de never buy any performance stuff from them!

– Kevin

we need a wake up call here…just because a company sells a product doesnt mean they “Manufacture” it. I heard theories that OBX found Quaife’s manufacturer for LSDs and is selling them at a more convenient price who knows. Quaife may buy the same LSD and apply their stamp to it after tweaking a few things (i dont really know, but just a thought). Or spoon ITR pistons are originally OEM ones which are balanced and blueprinted by them aka refinished**Another example is Airmass who buys DC defects, repairs them, and then sells it as theirs.

as for these cams maybe they are cast at the same place as skunk2, but the lobe profiles were set by OBX?? did they do the R&D on it??? We dont know, maybe theyre near replicas of jun3’s or something slightly changed so they dont run into patent problems.

if you dont know, then dont discourage. someone has to try em so we have at least a testamonial on what they are really worth.

personally, after hearing the testamonials over the OBX lsd: i am convinced that it’s a good deal. i would pick one up myself if i ever had a reason to pull my tranny.

Wow thanks for the replies guys! I am hoping someone out there has got them in their dohc vtec heads so they can tell me if there worth it or not…I know the lsd was rated good (my neighbor has the exact one) and loves it…Keep the replies coming!

bump!!!

:bs:

hey now! I was just quoting an ebay auction…Not my opinion!

chrome moly steel nice what the hell just try them u can sell them if u dont like them. hell with that warrenty go for it what do u have do lose. i would put money on it that obx dont make the cams someone else does. a large company like obx is not going to take a chance and make a cheap internal parts that will break and mess peoples motors up. sometimes u just pay for the name. hey obx now makes a copy of the skunk2 and blox manifolds. go for it and post about them :manual:

Quaife LSD and OBX LSD are completely different. They look the same on the outside, but inside, the OBX is manufactured at a much poorer quality. But theya re pretty much identical… I heard Quaife may be taking legal action or something because they do actually manufacture it themselves

Just save up a few more bucks and get crowers? :hmm: Ebay specials are cheap in price, but you get ehat you pay for…

peak lift and duration only tell part of the story. until you indicate the cam for ramp rates, you still dont have all the pieces.