ball joint pullers

i know alot of you have had to change ball joints… has anyone tried the harbor freight ball joint puller setup?.. im looking into maybe getting one but want others opinions on it

I searched & searched for diffrent ball joint seperators other than pickle forks when I had to change out one of the boots on mine, and rather than shelling out like 80-100 bux on a ball joint tool kit, just go to autozone & get a small gear puller. works like a charm. just make sure that when you use it, you have the nut at the end of the threaded post so that when you’re seperating everything, the end of the post doesn’t mushroom & make it impossible to get the nut back on.

This…

With this…

No ball joint stands a chance against this. Best investment ever IF you have an air compressor.

i know somebody who had one of them they used on there 240sx… it worked on one and the other one he had to get a puller

but as for the air tool… can you pull out the ball joint while its on the car with that? like would you put the castle nut back on for the ball joint and hit it while its on the car?

also where do you get the forks for the air hammer?.. i think we got a air hammer at my dads house

no, those are pickle forks, and will do nothing more than tear the hell out of your ball joint boot…

I got my ball joint puller at Harbor Freight and it works like a champ. It fits perfect and almost seems like it was designed for our cars. :slight_smile:

Wrong. Dont knock it til you try it. Its a pickle fork for your air impact hammer. I havent had a problem with any ball joints yet. If your using a pickle fork with a hammer, then yes you will probably damage it, but this air hammer way is awesome.

as for the ball joint boot person… i dont know what you would do… but im changing my boots when i change the ball joints

while its apart might as well considerin u can get energy suspensions ones for only $3 +shipping

if you are going to be working on hondas alot you might as well buy the specialty tool

http://www.etoolcart.com/browseproducts/Honda-Ball-Joint-Removal-Kit-OTC7996.HTML

ram, that’s for removing the balljoint from the steering knuckle to replace the actual balljoint. i think radzer0’s actually just looking for something to separate the lower balljoint and tie rod balljoint from the lower control arm, and the upper balljoint from the steering knuckle.

as long as you don’t beat the living shit out of it, and are careful, the pickle fork should work just fine.

right… just needed to remove the ball joint from the control arm

honda sells a tool that looks somewhat like this

its works awsome or you can just use the pickle fork and tap it out

something like that

thats upper balljoint… wouldnt happen to have a lower ball joint pic would u?