Teg Tip: Dual Dome Light

Dual Dome Light Tip:

Stuff I needed (and that you will probably need as well):

• Long nose pliers
  • Short nose but wide pliers
  • X shaped screwdriver (I don’t know the “real name” of that screwdriver)
  • 6" of wire (14 gauge sounds good)
  • A 2nd light bulb (in my case it was 2x Quad Xenon White LED Bulbs, thanks eBay)
  • A power cord you will definately not use anymore (I’ve used a PC power cord)
  • Hot glue gun
  • Necessary stuff for electronic/small soldering jobs
  • Olfa knife, X-Acto, something sharp

======================================================

Ok so you wanna change your lighting for some funky fresh color bulb or LED bulb? You think it looks hella cool but you don’t see a damn thing when it’s turned on? Well here is the solution to (a part of) your problem! Lets use 2 of them! Or more, but then we would definately need a custom designed case because it would get crowded in there.

Let me apologize before you start. I am sorry but I have to tell you that I didn’t take pics of the whole building process because I wasn’t thinking about making a Teg Tip when I did that earlier today. I only have 3-4 pics of the “about finished” product. If someone else can take pics while doing it, it would be great for some others I guess.

======================================================

1. First thing, you wanna take the dome light assembly out. Taking mine out was fairly easy with a bit of wiggling. First you remove the clear cap, then there should be a screw (for some reason my dome light was different from what I’ve seen in the HELMS manual). Take that screw off. After that, there are small plastic holders clipped onto the car’s frame; you will need long nose pliers or a screwdriver to unclip those (there are only 2 of these that you need to unclip). Pull on that whole plastic thing and it should come off after a little effort. Now just unclip the power connector and you are ready to go!

– You might not have the same dome light, if so, try to take it apart some other way :slight_smile:

1. Now you’re home with your plastic case in hand, ready to make it better. What you need to do is, first of all, create your new bulb connectors. I’ve used some cutters to take out the 2 metal pieces from my pc power cord by cutting the plastic around them.

2. Then you need to give your new connectors some shape so they fit in the assembly and hold your 2nd bulb tight enough so it stays there.

3. When you feel that your connectors have the right shape, which should be a little bit like ) and (.

4. Cut your 6" wire into two 3" parts, they should be long enough. Solder a wire on each one of your new connectors (preferably at the end that doesnt have the hole).

5. Now that you have your new connectors ready to be in place you will need to make some room for them. Look at where my second bulb is on that photo

Make sure you cut enough plastic so that your new connectors fit in the restricted space allowed by your assembly/hole in the ceiling (especially at the bottom left red arrow because the screw is what grounds your light and make em turn on, and trust me you dont want your lights to be always on even if the switch is at the off position :).)

See where you will pass these wires and why it needs to fit?

1. Now its time to glue the new connectors into place and link them to the original connectors. This should be quite simple if you look at the above pictures. Please note that you CANNOT solder the wires onto the original metal pieces, it will not stick. You will need to get the wires stuck between the metal connectors and the plastic, so that the current flows well. One of them (top right yellow on photo 1) was squeezed between the bent metal part and the plastic retainer behind it, then added some glue there. The other one was passed UNDER the metal where it does ¯|_, and then over so it can be glued there. Now your contacts should all be working, if not well something must be missing.

2. Put in your bulbs and go back to the car. Reconnect the assembly and make sure that you squeeze a little bit the metal piece that is used for the ground. If you don’t do that one of your new connector might touch the frame and then your lights will turn on forever :slight_smile:

1. Do not worry if they dont work yet, you need to have the screw back into place so you can test them. So put the assembly back into place, taking care of not squeezing any wires between the assembly and the place you will put the screw. And place that very welcomed screw.

2. Try it! It works? Super! I’ve ajusted mine so that one points toward the front seats and the other one the back seats (they’re LEDs so it’s directional, if you use standard bulbs it won’t matter).

Hope this works for you, it did for me :slight_smile:

If you have any question, feel free to send me an email by clicking on my name on the left.

viz :dance:

What a waste of time and energy but if you are going to due it, you had better change the amperage on your fuse also or you’re looking for trouble.

You would only need to worry about amperage if using standard bulbs - LEDs pull less power. THe overall amoun of amperage isn’t that high to begin with for standard bulbs, so this shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Nice mod. Think I will do that.

Also, heat isn’t an issue with LEDs, but is with normal bulbs.

Thanks for the writeup.

True, and those xenon white led bulbs I got are awesome, it gives a totally different ambiance in the car, it’s much better than that stock bulb I had … I love it!

viz

Thanks for being original and giving us more light, I own a GS sedan and light is DEF an issue I don’t have map lights and I don’t have a sunroof. Until I get around to wiring in some maplights from a sunroof equipped car this mod will def do the trick.

And for DB2-R81 looks like the only waste of time and energy was your blast to someone’s AWESOME write up, and help. Thanks again vizi0n!!!

thanks for your comment, but i hope you have led bulbs because if you have standard bulbs it wont really help much as they are omni-directional, and leds are more like spots and point to a specific location …