Almost got carjacked Tuesday night.

I have waited a few days b4 posting this.
I live in Springfield, MO. Tuesday night I was driving thru the downtown area and was stopped at a 4 way waiting on people to make their moves.

Well out of the middle of the blue 2 thugs approached my car with a baseball bat and tried to open my door to yank me out. I had the door locked but the window was down with my arm leaning on it. They told me to get the fuck out of my car and I told them fuck you. I slammed it in reverse and when I did got swung at with the baseball bat. It hit me directly on the arm and almost busted it.
When I was backing up they made another swing with the bat and shattered my hatch glass. They also put a small dent on the driver’s side 1/4 panel behind the tail light but it is really un noticeable, and will just get filled when I paint the car.

My arm will be ok, I just have severe bruising and a contusion on my arm. They gave me Oxycodone 5mg for the pain and it helps. My arm is swollen and it is sore to type so bear with me I am doing my best.

Well, I went to Safelight auto glass and they wanted $1200 to replace the window. Acura $1600. I went to a salvage yard and bought a complete hatch with an OEM spoiler for $110 delivered to the shop who is charging me $60 for the tail gate swap. I am currently waiting on the car to get fixed Ill have pictures later. I hope the guy can swap the hatch and have everything working and lined up good.

You didn’t run them over?

what a fucked up story! holy shit i would have been tripping out!

Yes, I did almost run them over. When I was backed up then put it in drive I charged them but they jumped out the way.

wow… could have been worse… stupid thugs

Wow, Sorry to hear man. I’m guessing you were alone too eh? I remember something like this happening to me once while I was in the car with a friend. We were driving downtown when all of a sudden this car starts going crazy and speeds up in front of us then slams on the brakes. They, 4 rather large (fat) guys, then get out of the car and rush over to our car and start throwing punches through the window. Had no idea whatsoever who they were. So my friend just threw it in reverse and left just like you did. Man, I was sitting there throwing whatever trash was in the car at them.

Just saying I know how much of a shock it is for that to happen.

Well, the repair shop just had me come over because the wiring on the hatch from the junkyard is cut. They did not understand that you are supposed to pull my harness out the hatch with the broken glass and run it thru the new hatch with a string. So I told them to pull the wiring out of my old hatch, and I am going to have to run it thru the new one when I get the car back.

I told them not to remove the cut harness out the new hatch so that I can attach a string to it when I pull it out.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

^yea leave the old harness in, attach a string or small rope to the end of the uncut one and just pull. i used this same method to upgrade my houses network cables from cat5 100mbit to cat6 gigabit.

this story is why i keep a gun in the car/on me at pretty much all times. once i get in the car i put it between the seat and the e-brake, my holster fits nicely there and makes it easily accessible. thank god i havent had to use it, but its nice to have. in FL if you feel threatened anywhere that you are required to be (home, work, car, not the movies or restaurants, etc) you can shoot to debilitate without any legal recourse afterward, witnesses help the situation, but from what ive heard as soon as you pull that gun any potential witnesses peace out like the US Military did in Vietnam.

its a crazy world we live in these days, the only way to defend yourself against this kind of shit is to make sure that people like this dont have the ability to do things of this nature. i feel its my duty, if someone tries to rob me and i caught them, id be the last person they tried to rob, unless they learn how to use a body part i dont obliterate.
if everyone kept a gun on them, thieves would be hard pressed to just carjack someone, esp if after they tried it was a pool of their own blood they were bathing in.
besides, its a good reason to get one more shitty asshole off the street, and if it happened more frequently, it would be less worth it to even try. last time i checked a .45 round will do a good amount of damage pretty much wherever you put it, and i would hate to be on the receiving end of that exchange.

good luck, they didnt grab at your car at all? you can have it fingerprinted and at least get the prints on record, if they get caught doing anything else, this little expedition will show up, and theyll be charged.

Good to hear you made it out with your car and life.

This is a good example for all the gun control folks.
If it were me they would have brought a bat to a gun fight.
I’m not trying to be an e-thug but I don’t think they would
have swung that bat if they were looking down the barrel of
a pistol.

Sorry for the rant. It just make me sick that some worthless
puke would have split your head for a $2500 car.

Anyways good luck with the repairs and the healing.

That blows man, lucky they didn’t get your shit! I’ve got a small tool kit behind my seat, and it just so happens i have a half inch breaker bar easily accessible from the driver seat, in case any problems arise :slight_smile:

This is why I carry a concealed handgun.

Well, hatch is replaced and they did a good job doing it. They did not cut my harness on the car, but they did not run it thru the hatch. I guess I am going to have someone do that for a little extra $$$ cause my arm is so fucking sore I can hardly use it.

And on the gun issue, yes I am going to start keeping my 9mm in my car because of this shit. I live in Missouri and the laws are pretty lax as far as hand guns are concerned. Ill make sure I carry it legally.

Atta boy.

Well, I have attached all the wires to the hatch and have the 3rd brake light working as well as the rear wiper. Now for some reason I cannot get the defroster to work. It did work before the new hatch install and I have all the grounds hooked up and no blown fuses. The light on the switch comes on and you can hear the relay click.

I am going to check for voltage in the wire and if there is none then does that mean I have a damaged wire? I could see it getting damaged when pulling the wires out.

They will get theirs, karma is bitch, glad to hear you survived relatively unharmed. It could have ended very badly.

Also, if the used HATCH that you picked up ever had tint that someone removed, they may have scraped off some of the defroster lines, thus your problem for them not working correctly.

Yeah I just tested the wire and it is getting the full specified reading. I took a good look at the terminals and also looked at where they meet the glass and it looks like the terminals need re soldered. I don’t think the window had ever had tint on it. The lines look like they are okay.
I work on electronics and one thing is true. It is that a soldering joint heats up with the amount of current (amps) going thru it. Over time these joints can break with the constant expansion and contractions and make them not work. Add in a tad bit of corrosion and they become worthless.

I am planning on re soldering these joints because rear defrost is very important for our safety.
I need to know how hot of a soldering iron is safe for using on that glass.

damn dude… glad you made it out safe… i wouldn’t know what to do…

glad you’re safe man & that’s what matters! i get real paranoid about that kind of stuff, even though i live in green bay,wisconsin. I keep a bat in my DA & a gun in the trunk of my cobalt at all times, probably should have it in the glove box…i’ve had to use the bat already in the parking lot of my apartment complex! WTF! & they live there! they havn’t confronted me or ever looked at me since.

Why iddn’t you put it in reverse again and ran them over till they’re grounded then proceed to beat their asses then call the cops.

Glad to hear you made it out ok. Is Springfield a ghetto area or something? Don’t the Simpsons live there? :slight_smile: