What spring rate should I get?

Hi all,

Found out that my rear shocks are shot and I need new ones soon or else my tires, alignment and whatever will go out of whack! I’m not really a suspension guru and so I need you guys help in ordering the right parts for my set up.

My car is a 1992 Acura GS-R

My new setup will be mainly use for daily driving, not to be use to the track and I like to be able to adjust the height from time to time. So I like to go with the ever so popular Koni yellows and ground control but unsure about what spring rate to get for comfortable ride. I’m assuming Ground control has options to choose which application you want right? I was told to get the Ground control (generic ones) is this right for my set up?

Here is my list:

• Koni yellows front and back
  • Ground control front and back
  • Ingalls camber kit

Thanks in advance!

I’m not sure what you mean by “Ground control (generic ones)”. Ground Control is a brand. I think you are referring to “coil-overs” when you talk about the generic ones. I also have a 92GSR and have had the Tokico blues kit (shocks and springs) for the past decade. Been satisfied with them since day one. If you’re not going to do some serious track time, you might be throwing away serious coin with what you have in mind. It’ll be overkill. You say you want to adjust the height from time to time? Why? Unless you have access to an alignment rig, with the constant changing in suspension settings, you will be eating through tires like there’s no tomorrow. Sometimes having too many options only complicates your life. The yellows not only adjust for the shock action, but they also have three settings on the bottom to adjust the spring sitting point. (whatever it’s called). These might be all the adjustment you might need (assuming you have the right spring). As long as you have toe in check, the camber kit might be overkill as well. Yeah, it’s all a question of “needs” and “wants”. Unfortunately, needs and wants come with a price. If you have to spend, spend on the needs. And that’s why I stuck it out with the blues kit even if there were more advanced (not to mentioned more expensive) kits out there.

Yeah, your right. Like I said, I dont know much about suspension and someone who knows pointed me to these koni/GC set up so I thought its the way to go but not before getting a second opinion on here.

Since my rear shock is shot to hell, I mind as well get new shocks and everything else. And since I plan on getting bigger rims (16") I need a suspension set up where I can adjust the height everytime winter rolls around because for the past 2 winters, we been getting 2-3ft of snow.

So basically i just want to lower my car to 1-1/2" to 2" and the ride comfortable. no taking it out to the track or anything…for now

Any good suspension setup that is inexpensive that is good for my set up that you know of? Maybe a full coilover kit?

by the way since I am dropping the car 1-1/2" I still need a camber kit right?

Thanks

go for the koni/gc setup. im using the koni with skunk 2 sleeves spring rates 8 front 6 rear n i love it. =)