Lowering with Koni Yellows and OEM springs

While searching for suspension options for my DA, I ran across this thread on H-T: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2488236

At the bottom of the page, PatrickGSR94 posted a photo of his car, and stated that he used Koni Yellows and stock GS-R/ITR springs and fine-tuned the ride height via the perch locations on the Konis. I really like the stance he achieved. Is this possible on a DA?

I ask because I have a cracked front spring that needs to be addressed before I can get the front end aligned. And it needs it. The front ride height is uneven side-to-side, I have vibration under braking, pulling to the right on crowned roads and under braking, and the tires are showing shoulder wear. I suspect the shocks are worn too, because I’m feeling wheel hop when accelerating over rough surfaces and excessive vibration from washboard surfaces and rumble strips. So I’d like to replace the shocks as well.

Money is tight, unfortunately, as my annual salary is about 25% lower than it used to be due to job-sharing, plus my wife is going back to school full-time.

-One option I’m considering is splurging on Koni Yellows and sourcing a set of used DC springs from a junkyard. This leaves the option of adding GC sleeves later on. My reasoing is I suspect good DC springs would be easier to find. The Konis would be a bit pricey, but I need new shocks anyway. If I could achieve the stance that PatrickGSR94 did with his DC, I would be happy.

-Another is using my original springs with one coil removed. The spring is cracked at the very bottom coil, facing the front of the car, so it’s essentially the same as having a half or quarter coil removed. The spring rate would increase marginally, but I expect a stock replacement shock would be up to the task (i.e. Monroe Sensatrac or similar). Of course, the con is that it’s a similar amount of work and getting the springs even may be tricky.

-A third option is a set of Function Form Type I coilovers. The price is attractive, but I’m concerned that the spring rates may be a bit stiff for a daily driver. I’m also not sure if these are rebuildable, and how durable they are in the long-term.

-The fourth option is a complete Koni/GC combo. I would be confident that it would be done right the first time, but the up-front expense may be too much at this point. That being said, the lowering spring options seem really close in price to the GC’s, and I definitely don’t want to have to redo anything because I’m unhappy with the stance.

My car also needs bushings and some exhaust work, so the more I can save, the better. I don’t want to drop the car into the weeds. This is a year-round daily driver, so it needs to be practical. It won’t see a track. I’m just looking for a mild drop with a decent stance, and I figure with the time and money needed to get it back to stock specs that I might as well upgrade a bit while I’m at it.

Any input or advice would be appreciated!

buy my skunk pro s for $400 :smiley:

GoGreen,

Stock springs posses too soft of spring rate for that ride height shown on the example DC. He is likely constantly on the bump stops and you will be too if you attempt to use stock springs at that ride height with Koni’s. When you properly lower your car you need to increase the spring rate. A higher quality damper will not reduce the amount/distance of suspension compression. A damper will reduce the rate of compression or control the rate of compress and rebound.

Do not purchase the Function Form Type I coilovers or any inexpensive junk save your money for quality components or you will be replacing them in short order. Your best suggested option is the Koni/GC combo.

DB2-R81,

I believe his bumpstops were cut, if that makes a difference. I follow what you’re saying, though. I had assumed that perhaps the GS-R springs had a higher spring rate.

My main concern is correcting my alignment at this point, which I can’t do until I replace the broken spring. I agree that the Koni/GC combo would be best, but is option 1 viable? That is, install Koni Yellows and used stock DA/DC springs? I have read the Hybrid DA/DC article but didn’t see any firm evidence that DA and DC springs were the same length.

A mild drop would be nice, but stock ride height would be fine for the time being.

With a stock spring you are still going to have stock suspension travel and a lowered car will not have enough travel clearance, “Upper control arm say hello to inner fender”.

Stock springs = next to stock ride height.

Don’t honestly know the length of DC springs but do know most DCs use shorter aftermarket springs then after market DAs however this could be the byproduct of DC specific damper collar positioning.

Best to remove yours and measure, then hit the recycle yard and measure
some DCs.

Now that I think about it, the drop on the example DC would be impractical for me anyway. I’ve actually bottomed out at stock ride height before. Last winter we had a heavy snowfall followed by some warm weather and then a cold snap, so I had to do some off-roading in the back-alley.

So I may just go with a stock ride height or perhaps a set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs, coupled with some new bushings.

da9leo,

Thanks for the offer, but I think if I were to go with a coilover setup (full or sleeve type) that it’d definitely be the GC/Koni combo.