Coilover Install

I recently got some Dropzone coilovers for my 91. I got the fronts on but am just curious as to how the rear struts come off? I’ve been going by the haynes manual and it sais to unbolt the two top mounting bolts then unbolt that bottom bolt that connects to the lower control arm. Then it sais to move the control arm for clearance. I tried prying between the lower control arm and the bottom of the car and it still seems like the top doesn’t quite clear enough to come out. Any tips or tricks to getting these things off?

You’re going to have to unbolt the bolt that is at the end of the control arm near the trailing arm so you can slide it off the control arm. Becareful though cuz that bolt is notorious for snapping due to rust seize up.

I didn’t want to break that bolt so instead I took off the bolt that is on the opposite of the control arm… the one that connects to the frame… make sure you spray whatever bolt you’re taking off with plenty of PB Blaster and let it sit before attempting to break it loose…

If i read that rite looks like u could use a buddy. have him step on the control arm to lower it enough for you to move the strut/shock out of there. Hope that helps.

just did this what you do is the same thinh hybrid90 said unbolt the other end of the control arm bolts to the frame us a rubber mallet to bang on it to release it if neccesary and then just push down on the control arm and you can slide the strut right out iv had to do it three times in the last 4 days.And hybrid90 knows what hes talking about his a god with suspensions.

Haha thanks for the kind words hondattic :up: but I am no where near a god of suspension LOL. When you have such a pain in the ass fcuked up suspension as my DA has, you’ll learn a couple of things along the way from working on it nonstop to the point where it’s not even funny anymore hehe.

But yeah… to the OP… trust me… it’s way easier if you were to take either end of the control arm off… if you don’t… you’re going to have a hard time trying to compress the shocks and slipping it back on the control arm with only the shock mount bolt taken off…

I guess if you’re lazy… you can always try putting a jack underneath the leg of the shock and try jacking it up and out… don’t blame me if it accident pops out and shoots you in the nuts LOL

Ok thanks guys ill prolly try doin the rears today or tommorow. Ill let you guys know how it goes.

So I got the rear springs(dropzones) on and they were stiff as fuck. I think the rear tires were absorbing more of the shock than the springs were. So I put my old tokico springs back on. But when I had the dropzones on the rear I had the adjusters about halfway down the sleeves and it was like the car wasnt even sitting on the springs when I lowered it. Ya know the rear coilovers they sent me look alot like the fronts (lengthwise). Are they supposed to be the same length as the front?

The cheap Megan ones I bought from ebay were like your Dropzones… same height front and back.

What shocks are you using with the dropzones? I’m running Tokico Illuminas and the sleeve is adjusted more than halfway and it seems fine.

I got the tokico blue struts. But its like when I dropped the car, the fuckn springs werent even in contact with the top hats.:wtf: