Manual steering swap opinion.

Okay so I am doind a wire tuck and bay shave. Not sure if any of you have seen my build thread but I am moving pretty far pretty quick. But now I have come to a stop. I’m not sure what to do about my steering. I want to do a manual swap but then again I don’t. I dont like the lock to lock situation with it but I have already pulled all components. Kinda curious about the looping but not to sure as I haven’t seen any real pics. Can I get an opinion form you guys? and just to be clear I’m not to picky about weight loss. Thanks in advance.

I have my p/s rack gutted and looped with no problems for over a year. Followed the guide on here and was very simple. It has a better ratio then the hf or si manual rack and was free. I also think the feel is much better then when I had power steering and would never go back myself.

Have I gone to far to do that though? Other then the rack itself everything is off of the car.

I looped my lines and didn’t take anything out. been going strong for 2 years now. I’ll never go back to power steering again on a honda.

Do you know where a good write up on looping the lines is? One with pictures possibly?

It wouldn’t make a difference, so I am not sure what you are asking. Search for the p/s removal thread, as the process has been discussed in detail on here.

Personally im doing an HF rack and will proabably be using the Quaife quick steer kit to bring the lock to lock issue down a bit. FYI, you cant use the quick steer kit on the Si rack. The “real” way to do it is to swap in the manual rack, but plenty of people have looped and gutted the power rack and had zero problems.

What do you mean HF rack?

Quafe makes a custom rack and pinion for the crx hf trim manual rack; however, it is not compatable with the si rack. The si rack has a better lock to lock ratio then the hf does stock. If you were to buy the rack and kit you would also want to get new inners and outers which would bring the price up. Eventually I plan to run the rack with the quafe kit, but for now free is good.

I agree. I’m going to loop the rack that is stock for now, and maybe upgrade later. I need to save as much as I can cause while my body is almost done my motor is still sitting in the corner all by itself in stock shape. I figure I ill have it all complete by the end of winter.

Thanks guys. Found the link to download a working writeup. Greatly appreciated.

sorry to thread jack, but what is the purpose of removing your power steering? to make it harder to steer the car? someone please clarify for me, i have never understood why you would want to do that…

Well, it serves a couple purposes. First of all, you have a better feel of the road. Secondly, you are freeing parasitic loss from the motor. Thirdly, the design is simpler and frees space in the engine bay.

On a car of our size I would never go back to a powersteering setup. I had to drive one for a month not too long ago and hated it. I felt as if I had a much harder time controlling the car in spirited driving.

[QUOTE=darin d;2053370]Well, it serves a couple purposes. First of all, you have a better feel of the road. Secondly, you are freeing parasitic loss from the motor. Thirdly, the design is simpler and frees space in the engine bay.

On a car of our size I would never go back to a powersteering setup. I had to drive one for a month not too long ago and hated it. I felt as if I had a much harder time controlling the car in spirited driving.[/QUOTE]

doesnt removing the PS make it alot harder to turn the steering wheel though? i guess i would have to drive on and experience it to know what you are talking about

It can be difficult if you are trying to turn the wheel lock to lock while stopped, but it isn’t hard to get used to.

Yes and no. When you are moving it is pretty simple to turn. Sitting still, yeah it’s kinda tough but who doesn’t need a bit of a workout? The main reason I am getting rid of mine is because I am tucking and shaving my bay and the P/S lines run all over. That and like was sated above it drains HP from your motor. Besides won’t it be nice not having to worry about 1 more thing going wrong? It’s a lot cheaper and easier to replace a manual steering setup then a P/S!

hmmm, you guys may have just talked me into doing this haha, thanks for all the info

Lol and another one jumps on the bandwagon. Cool, at lest we can all have the same issues at the same time if they arise!!!