Coilover install

Hey guys, I recently got some Dropzone coilover sleeves and want to get them in ASAP. I noticed that this forum doesnt have a how to section. I was just wondering if there is any special tools I will need to install my new coilovers? I know I’ll need a spring compressor and basic hand tools. Any tips or tricks before I start on them would be appreciated.

If your somewhat mechanically inclined your be ok. Take a minute to study the bolts when the wheel/tire is taken off and take your time. Friends always help and remember to get an alignment. Have you searched?

There’s really no heavy duty tool needed besides the spring compressor. One thing to watch out is to spray PB Blaster all your suspension bolts at least 30 minutes prior to taking it apart because 85%, your outer rear lca bolt will be seized inside the bushing. That’s going to be a bitch to deal with.

If you’re lucky… you won’t have any problems with that bolt. Just remember to spray PB Blaster 30 minutes prior and before taking off the bolt… hit it with a hammer to free up all the rust. Other than that… should be straight forward.

If you can’t find a how to on coilover installations, try HT, I’ve seen some over there… good luck and take your time.

Thanks guys. I do have a haynes manual for my car so Ill prolly just go by what they say for taking it apart. How long does that whole process usually take?

If it’s your first time, it’s probably going to take you about 45 minutes per strut… after the first one, you should be able to figure out which way is faster to take the rest off and it should be a breeze.

TIP: If your car is lowered, make sure you preload the suspension before torqueing all the bolts down. Don’t torque the bolts to spec while the suspension is hanging down…

Now where about do the rubber o-rings go? The company didnt send me any directions.

The O-rings go on the shock body, then you slip the coilover sleeve over it. It’s there to hold the coilover sleeve firmly in place so it doesn’t tilt all over the place.

Put an O-ring on the top, middle and bottom of the shock body… make sure the o-rings stay tight and not loose then just slide the coilover sleeves over it…

How do u go about doing this preload for suspension.

Whenever you work on the suspension, you’re supposed to preload the suspension before torqueing all the bolts to spec so the bushings won’t twist when the car sits on the ground.

Preload method: When the car’s front or rear is on jackstands, thread all your suspension bolts in place first then place the jack underneath the lca then jack it up till the car slightly lifts off the jackstands, then you can proceed to completely tighten/torque the bolts to spec per Haynes manual. Hope this helps…