are shock dust covers necessary?

A friend and I were in the middle of replacing my shocks and springs on my '91 LS and found that there were no dust cover on the rear shocks.

are they really needed?

the only reason i ask is the car is sitting in my friends driveway and we need to get the car back together ASAP.

i found the actual part number for what im talking about, its 52687-SH3-004.

theyre cheap enough to buy, but no local place has them and seeing as the car needs to get back together ASAP, i dont have time to wait for them to arrive.

Are there other similar covers that could would?
Can I drive the car without them until they arrive?

If anyone has a good answer you can text me too as Ill be at work and unable to check the forum until later tonight and would like to get straight back to work.
Thanks g2ic

-David
(440) 666-9119

Just text you… :slight_smile:

thank you so much! helped out a ton!

i wondered too. so would it be better to have or it makes no difference?

I haven’t ran them since I lowered my car in 2001. No issues whatsoever. Obviously it’s nice to have the shock protected from the elements, but it’s not needed.

Just like Colin, I don’t even remembered the last time I’ve used dust covers eversince I got into modifying imports.

But if you’re worried… just go to a hardware store lik Home Depot or whatever and buy one of those long rubber bellows that will fit on your shocks but won’t rub on the springs and rig that up as a dust cover… I’ve seen it done before…

A friend end up having some of the KYB dust boots sitting in his garage that he had forgot to use at one point, so we ended up using those. IDK if it will make a difference but it cant hurt.

Yup… as long as it fits the shocks and that it will not obstruct the springs in anyway… then you’ll be fine…

fit perfectly within the springs, works for me.

idk how I like the een drop all around the car, so if i end up changing springs, Ill let you guys know how clean the shocks actually look in a few weeks/months.